British Secret Projects 2 ∶ Jet Bombers Since 1949(New Edition)

Re: British Secret Projects 2∶Jet Bombers Since 1949(New Edition)

cover

Attachments

• 9781910809105.jpg
    9781910809105.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 701
It was to be published on February 28th, 2018.
Has anyone got the new edition already?

I received mine today and its quite tasty, especially the later stuff

Well, I've coughed up the readies for the new edition and aside from 36% more pages, colour throughout rather than a gallery, decent sized drawings (all very clean and more of them), I'd say it shows what an extra 18 years research can add. There's a few studies that are new to me, but I'm not one for the fast-movers and the more niche subjects (Maritime, SABA, NBMR.3) get fuller coverage. I was impressed with the coverage of the Shorts PD.9 bomber projects.

I'm glad I bought it. Biased? Maybe, but I'm sure Tony was more aware than anyone that producing this edition without new content would annoy folk. Hasn't annoyed me and I think it's been done better than the Fighters book. But as I say, fast-movers...

Chris

Chris I have both books and endorse
what you have said. They are essential
reference works.

Received my copy yesterday but only had a chance to flick through at the moment.
I can echo Chris's review. There are the clearer and bigger images and enough new stuff to make it interesting. I'm reserving judgement on the AST.396 section until I've had a chance to read it in depth (it looks a little longer now) but I think it was worth the purchase price. It is, like BSP:1 v.2.0, a more well-rounded book.

My only worry is that there will be less new research material to justify the new WW2 editions.

Just received the book and at first blush it is impressive, certainly thicker than the first edition (which I had forgotten dates to 18 years ago!). But I will reserve final judgment until I compare it to the first edition.

One question for Tony: a photo caption says that "Early V-bombers were painted silver rather than the more well-known white", but the Victor on page 52 looks more like unpainted natural metal than painted silver. Is it?

Back
Top Bottom