Unbuilt Russian special mission submarines

covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com
In 2010 the Russian Ministry of Industry and Trade patented a ‘Multifunctional underwater station (MPS) (Russian: Многофункциональная подводная станция (МПС). Two years later Russian submarine design bureau Lazurite proposed the same design for a range of underwater engineering tasks. Although presented as a civilian platform the design gives us good insight into the Russian ‘deep station’ spy submarines operated by GUGI (Main Directorate of Deep-Sea Research, Military Unit 40056). Critically, the design is quite slow (just 12 knots) but has a massive 1,060 cubic meter integral payload bay (about as large as a three story house) allowing it to place or retrieve large items on the sea floor.

Lazerite listed its roles as all-weather and under-ice underwater search / survey, scientific research, underwater engineering and ‘general diving operations. More info http://www.hisutton.com/Unbuilt_Russian_Spy_Subs.html

sKzSlvW.jpg

xtoT0X0.jpg

J3vZw8Y.jpg

Jo3VF6p.jpg

18YY1xF.jpg

Next lot, Rubin 'civilian' arctic engineering designs as part of project Iceberg. Currently on display in Russia. http://www.hisutton.com/Russian_Arctic_Update.html

z5E7Htr.jpg

Seismic survey sub, 135.5m x 14.5m, 16500t, nuclear powered with 30 days endurance. ROV hangar in bow.
yjInBH1.jpg

gfeiAxz.jpg

Transport submarine
EsNPfjs.jpg

jGPxyJR.jpg

So a possible sea glider type, and a deployment means for those movable underwater reactor powerplants

Attachments

• iceberg.jpg
    iceberg.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 166
covert_shores said:
Seismic survey sub, 135.5m x 14.5m, 16500t, nuclear powered with 30 days endurance. ROV hangar in bow.
yjInBH1.jpg

gfeiAxz.jpg
Huge news, according to TASS (http://tass.com/defense/944338), this submarine is to be built in 2020 (ignore stock submarine image in article)

Added another to Covert Shores (http://www.hisutton.com/Malachite_arctic_submarine.html), this time from Malachite (http://www.malachite-spb.ru/223/). Most interesting feature is that it has an ice breaking bow, which i think is unique for a submarine.

Attachments

• Ru_Malachite_arctic_940.jpg
    Ru_Malachite_arctic_940.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 151
Mr. Sutton,

I had to find your article on the winged survey sub and Project Iceberg to see if there was more information about the twin-hulled transport sub. There was not too much technical speculation, unfortunately:

...What I find really interesting about the transport sub is the inclusion of a Kline-Fogleman airfoil section at the front of the boat. More information on that airfoil can be found here:

Unfortunately, my knowledge of airfoil dynamics is lacking, so I'm not quite sure of what the differences in Reynolds number while at operational speeds one would expect underwater as opposed to operation in the air. KF airfoils apparently are most effective at low Reynolds numbers.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of airfoil dynamics is lacking, so I'm not quite sure of what the differences in Reynolds number while at operational speeds one would expect underwater as opposed to operation in the air. KF airfoils apparently are most effective at low Reynolds numbers.
You'd expect the Reynolds number in water to be about three orders of magnitude higher than that in air - dynamic viscosity of water is about fifty times that of air, density is three orders of magnitude greater, but speeds are one to two orders of magnitude lower.

We're talking about the forward connecting foil on that "transport submarine" concept, right? My impression is that the notched foil section there isn't so much for hydrodynamics as it is to provide a place for the two travelling gantry crossbars to stow with reduced drag when they are not carrying a cargo.

Though Russian ASATs would be a concern.
I'm a little worried that this might be off topic for the original post, but Starlink is pretty safe against most asat weapons by virtue of being cheap and numerous enough to not be worth directly attacking. Hacking, maybe

I wouldn't so sure about that, especially if the launch sites for replacements are interdicted or otherwise taken out of action, one way or the other. Also, a relatively low powered orbital laser platform for example would be able to mission kill the satellites already on station or in reserve at a fair clip.

Last edited:
I have wondered about towing submerged flip-ship towers that stand up out of the chop-to hold turbines in the Roaring Forties/Howling Fifties.

Biden wants off shore wind:

But having each platform perhaps double as an eventual bridge platform…filled in over years and harvest power for South America…and allow ice transport off Antarctica. The Greens will hate it—but I want that continent mined—no third world dictatorship, no uprisings. No populace to placate or buy off.

Last edited: