UAE and Russia To Jointly Develop a New Fighter

VTOLicious

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2017-02-23/uae-and-russia-jointly-develop-new-fighter

The biggest talking point at this week’s IDEX exhibition in Abu Dhabi was the announcement by Rostec CEO Sergey Chemezov that the United Arab Emirates and Russia would jointly develop a fifth-generation light fighter. It will apparently be based on an advanced version of the Russian MiG-29...The news came during the visit of a high-level Russian delegation led by trade and industry minister Denis Manturov. The minister and Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, witnessed the signing of an agreement between Russia and the UAE covering cooperation in the defense industries. Manturov commented, “One of the fields of this cooperation is the creation, development and supply of the fifth-generation fighter jet.”

Really? ::)

Other websites with this story, and an associated interview:
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/russias-rostec-to-co-develop-5th-gen-fighter-with-uae

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless part of broader diplomatic moves (trying to draw Russia away from Asad/ Iran?). Not sure why otherwise UAE would pay for Russia to develop a mildly warmed up Fulcrum.

UAE coming into defiant age? "If you don't sell us F-35 we will build our own 5th gen fighter with Russia" :p

Very short news story from latest Airforce Monthly magazine.
This story notes contradictory comments from the Russian side if proposed aircraft MIG29 based or not (reference to decision about being single or twin engined not yet made).
The story suggests US reluctance to provide the F-35 may be a trigger for this programme; as I have stated in an earlier post I would wonder if seen as part of a way for the UAE, Saudi Arabia etc to weaken Russia's relationship with Iran and Assad's regime in Syria.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 590
VTOLicious said:
UAE coming into defiant age? "If you don't sell us F-35 we will build our own 5th gen fighter with Russia" :p

Good luck.

Sounds like the Russkis have just as many problems WRT new fighter programs as we do, only on a scantier budget. Weren't they trying to get some development money from India for the PAK-50 a few years ago?

royabulgaf said:
Sounds like the Russkis have just as many problems WRT new fighter programs as we do, only on a scantier budget. Weren't they trying to get some development money from India for the PAK-50 a few years ago?

I am actually surprised that the UAE does not join the PAK-FA program like India did, it would be far cheaper than designing and building a new fighter.

DUBAI: USAF general sceptical of mixed F-35 and Russian fleet for UAE
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-usaf-general-sceptical-of-mixed-f-35-and-rus-443179/

"During a round table with reporters ahead of the Dubai Air Show, USAF officials confirmed that discussions between the US and UAE were ongoing over a possible F-35 sale. But the UAE’s loyalties appear split, after Abu Dhabi signed a memorandum of understanding with Russia in February to develop a fifth-generation fighter jet. While the USAF’s vice chief of staff declined to comment on whether that move could hinder an F-35 acquisition, his counterpart from Central Command said operating a mixed fleet of Russian and US stealth aircraft would prove challenging."

I think it would be the stupidest thing imaginable to sell the UAE F-35s if they're going to jointly develop a new fighter with Russia. No possibility of F-35 tech ending up going to Russia, no sir. <triple-face-palm>

Or maybe Russia just doesn't want F-35's in the area ---- what better way than to say what has been said.