Vought F-8 Crusader: Development & Operational Use of the Navy’s First Supersonic Jet Fighter

bercr

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Vought F-8 Crusader: Development & Operational Use of the Navy’s First Supersonic Jet Fighter

The author's name lacks, but perhaps his first name will be Bill ?

Hardcover – out August 15, 2017

Hardcover: 276 pages
Publisher: Specialty Press
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1580072429
ISBN-13: 978-1580072427
Dimensions: 10 x 0.5 x 10 inches

https://www.amazon.com/Vought-F-8-Crusader-Development-Operational/dp/1580072429/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483530091&sr=1-13&keywords=specialty+press

Now the author's name appears on the site, of course it's Bill Spidle.

Long awaited book.

I can't wait ;)

I hope there will be a great coverage of development, prototypes, and also F8U-1T and XF8U-3 with plenty of large unpublished color photos from the manufacturer...

Regarding the operational use, I'm sorry to write that it is not my cup of tea...

The cover is OUT now:

51jpNmbABKL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Vought-F-8-Crusader-Development-Operational/dp/1580072429/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483530091&sr=1-13&keywords=specialty+press

Filling a void in major works on legendary U.S. Naval carrier-based jet aircraft, this book is the definitive work on the design, development, flight testing, and initial service history of the Chance Vought F-8 Crusader. Having become the Navy's first fully-operational supersonic aircraft, the F-8 went on to a colorful career during the Cuban Missile Crisis and then in the Vietnam War as a potent MiG-killer. During that conflict, the Crusader distinguished itself as one of the most historically significant aircraft of the Cold War era.

The 12 detailed chapters in this book thoroughly cover every aspect of the F-8's design and development, from earliest Navy BuAir specs through mock-up, prototype, flight test, and carrier qualifications. Lavishly illustrated with high-quality original factory photos and technical illustrations, this book provides a behind-the-scenes look at America's proud aerospace industry in its heyday, when a jet fighter that launched from, and recovered on, an aircraft carrier achieved routine supersonic performance in combat.

The Vought F-8 Crusader, in all its variants, remains to this day as one of the most successful military aircraft ever built. Detailed coverage of this aircraft's design and development, production, record flights, the XF8U-3 Super Crusader, significant NASA variants, and foreign operators augments the story of the F-8's development. In so doing, this book provides the vital "missing link" in the story of this legendary aircraft: the U.S. Navy's first supersonic jet fighter.

Attachments

• 51jpNmbABKL.jpg
    51jpNmbABKL.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 662
pre-projects drawings, unbuilt projects or so included?

Thanks for the shout out.

As to the contents you will find some drawings and paper airplanes you might not have seen before.
You will read about how the design was developed and some of the record setting flights.
The squadron histories, operational deployments and MiG kills are not covered. Many other
fine books cover those subjects.

Bill S said:
The squadron histories, operational deployments and MiG kills are not covered. Many other
fine books cover those subjects.

Only the development history? Exactly the kind of book I want to buy!

Can't wait.

Bill, can I ask if there's much covered on the V-384 (the smaller J65-W-(TJ31B3) powered derivative of the V-383/F8U-1)?

Regards
Pioneer

Yes I discuss it in the book. I don't know if that will qualify as much in your hopes, but it is in there.

I got my copy from the publisher today.
It is my hope those that choose to read it, enjoy and find something of interest.

Bill S said:
I got my copy from the publisher today.
It is my hope those that choose to read it, enjoy and find something of interest.

Thanks for the info Bill, I will buy a copy when funds permit :)

I already have mine on pre-order from amazon. I can't wait to see what is inside.

Good Day All!

Received my copy direct from Specialty Press and simply put, well done Bill. The layout, the photos and the drawings are worth the cost and I look forward to reading the text over the next few evening. A number of drawings were new to me - Bill obviously spent a lot of time in the Vought Archives in the process of putting this book together.

Very, very happy to add this book to my personal library.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Added to my next book order. Thanks Bill.

phil gollin said:

Will you "continue the story" with a book on the A-7 Corsair II ?

I have it on my list, just a matter of time and a publisher.

Look inside on Google books:

https://books.google.fr/books?id=4dEwDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr#v=onepage&q&f=false

Just seems to be a "must have"! Thanks so much Bill.

Picked up a signed copy from Specialty Press and it's totally worth it!! Thank you, sir.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the book.

bill

Picked up the book at Barnes and Noble. My plan is to check over thoroughly, then send it on to a buddy who spent many happy hours in the cockpit of F-8's.

My copy arrived "down under".

Looks really great, lots of nice unbuilt version drawings, great photos well reproduced, and authoritative text well-written. Looking forward to reading.

Had this a few weeks and found it a little confusing and disappointing.

Good bits - coverage of F8U-3, Spey proposal and changes required, area ruling or "coking"debate, attack proposals.

Less good bits - confusion as to variants and general chronology caused by way book structured but perhaps that's just me. Too many photos of the same aircraft/same photo session e.g. How many pics. of trying to shove a Crusader into a C-124 do we need? I'd hazard one). Same goes for the Philippine aircraft and some other topics - too many which is unusual.

Downright annoying - the use of "Marta" instead of MATRA throughout the French section.

Unforgivable - "Purely Wholesome"(?) for "Youthly Puresome!

2cobras said:
Had this a few weeks and found it a little confusing and disappointing.

Good bits - coverage of F8U-3, Spey proposal and changes required, area ruling or "coking"debate, attack proposals.

Less good bits - confusion as to variants and general chronology caused by way book structured but perhaps that's just me.

Agreed to an extent - the chapter breakdown by type does confuse the chronology a bit. I faced something similar with my P.1121 book as there was overlap between chapters, but it was a simpler tale to tell.

2cobras said:
Too many photos of the same aircraft/same photo session e.g. How many pics. of trying to shove a Crusader into a C-124 do we need? I'd hazard one). Same goes for the Philippine aircraft and some other topics - too many which is unusual.

Sometimes I differ on this with modeller friends who like different angles on the same aircraft for modelling purposes. I agree the specific C-124 example could have been one page not two, but it didn't bother me.

2cobras said:
Downright annoying - the use of "Marta" instead of MATRA throughout the French section.

This is probably an editing issue which should have been picked up in proofreading. Sadly, publishers often neglect editing and proofing to save costs on low margin niche books.

2cobras said:
Unforgivable - "Purely Wholesome"(?) for "Youthly Puresome!

This one passed me by as I had no idea of the reference.

I don't feel these things ruin the book, but there is a trend towards more obvious errors. I found lots of layout and spelling errors in the YF-23 book by Paul Metz, but they didn't ruin the book.

I will put it out there though - if you want me to proofread an aircraft book, I will do it for free for any forum member. I have good general aviation knowledge (especially past-war) and a 1st class Honours degree in English. I would rather see less errors in published books!