Soviet future spaceships from the 1950s (Photon spaceships, Ionosphereplane, etc

antigravite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi.

I really didn't know where to put it… Maybe speculative projects. But first, let's try this out here.

The CIA opened its FOIA-related reading room recently, and there are loads of material of interest for many of us in this repository.
One such unexpected material is a 1958 document available from here (direct link) discussing photon spaceships and Ionosphereplanes.

document description summary
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp80t00246a002800080001-2

associated pdf file
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP80T00246A002800080001-2.pdf

The CIA analysis indicates this material is/was likely dated 1957 and was initially published in a magazine called Sovaviation. Any information on that? Either the magazine or better scans of this very poorly reproduced material would be great.

A.

Attachments

• CIA-RDP80T00246AO02800080001-2.png
    CIA-RDP80T00246AO02800080001-2.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 228
antigravite said:
The CIA opened its FOIA-related reading room recently, and there are loads of material of interest for many of us in this repository.
One such unexpected material is a 1958 document available from here (direct link) discussing photon spaceships and Ionosphereplanes.

The CIA's "Electronic Reading Room" has existed for a long time, at least 10 years, maybe 20.

blackstar said:
antigravite said:

The CIA's "Electronic Reading Room" has existed for a long time, at least 10 years, maybe 20.

That is pretty recent compared to some of our perspectives :D

Illustration left - Soviet children's book "Travel to distant worlds." Konstantin Gilzin 1960.

http://epizodsspace.no-ip.org/bibl/gilzin/puteshestvie-k-dalekim/04.html

The two illustrations on the right. In times of Khrushchev Russian loved to write about "hemosferical" aircraft. Hemosfera ramjet engine.

Excuse me.

pavel said:
(…)

Anecdotal Soviet error. In times of Khrushchev Russian loved to write about "hemosferical" aircraft. Hemosfera ramjet engine. Here, the report is written, Ionospheric planes. No. Russian traditional popular name: "hemosferical" engines.

How do I know about it? In 1984 I was 11 years old. In the Soviet library I took to read the old children's book about the future. Boris Lyapunov. "Chemistry tomorrow." 1960-63. These aircraft flying in hemosfera were on colored illustrations.

Thank you VERY MUCH Pavel! Cпасибо большое!

A.

blackstar said:
antigravite said:

Hi Blackstar. Yep, you are right.

However, and this is my point, the CIA just released to the public no less than 12 million documents. They issued a press communiqué on this release on January 17, 2017 which is available from here:
https://www.cia.gov/news-information/press-releases-statements/2017-press-releases-statements/cia-posts-more-than-12-million-pages-of-crest-records-online.html

Until now, these declassified documents (declassified from the CIA Records Search Tool (CREST) system), could only be accessed in person from a physical facility, on a limited set of computers.

So in a way, this is quantum jump in historical records research, and information extraction, which has been made possible a couple of days ago. That is what I meant.

Cheers!

A.

Back
Top Bottom