Register here

Author Topic: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III  (Read 40415 times)

Offline Blitzo

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 03:29:38 am »
I too would not feel comfortable with J-20's flying with four external fuel tanks either, plus the fact that China now has a extremely long-range missile as well.

J-20's weapons bay can't hold the large PL-X VLRAAM I think, and carrying them externally would result in similar compromise of stealthiness that EFTs would result. Though I'm sure they would be happy to use Flankers and J-10s as PL-X platforms.

J-20 is a fairly large, stealthy, air superiority fighter-interceptor. Carrying external stores in a theatre of combat would greatly compromise its ability to perform that role.

Online latenlazy

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 10:15:25 pm »
I too would not feel comfortable with J-20's flying with four external fuel tanks either, plus the fact that China now has a extremely long-range missile as well.

J-20's weapons bay can't hold the large PL-X VLRAAM I think, and carrying them externally would result in similar compromise of stealthiness that EFTs would result. Though I'm sure they would be happy to use Flankers and J-10s as PL-X platforms.

J-20 is a fairly large, stealthy, air superiority fighter-interceptor. Carrying external stores in a theatre of combat would greatly compromise its ability to perform that role.

I mean, the whole point of such a long range AAM is that you don't need stealth to penetrate into your adversary's IADS.

Offline Blitzo

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 10:37:40 pm »
I mean, the whole point of such a long range AAM is that you don't need stealth to penetrate into your adversary's IADS.

Yes, partially true, although mounting it on a non 5th generation fighter means the fighter carrying the PL-X may come under threat from the opfor's own fighters who would likely air missions "forwards" to meet your non-stealthy fighters which their own AEW&C will still be able to detect.

That said, obviously the PL-X is a very good way of targeting the opponent's airborne force multipliers and potentially even targets down to the size of fighter aircraft at very long range. But it would also probably be much more effective if it could be stored within a stealthy platform. Part of me hopes the bat winged JH-XX is still being pursued, as it would probably have a big enough main weapons bay to store a number of PL-X missiles comfortably.

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:07 am »
New bird, new camouflage ... say HELLO to #5
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:13:03 am by Deino »
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Ian33

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:04 am »
Astoundingly beautiful.

Thank you very much for your continued (sterling I must add!) effort to keep this thread at the bleeding edge of information aboutique this wonderful airframe.

Thank you.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
Absolutely stunning images Deino.  B)

Offline Steven

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • AIAA at UCLA
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:34 am »
None of the production aircraft appears to have noticeable canopy tint or actual EOTS apertures. Perhaps those items are not finished in their development?
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 11:10:27 am »
None of the production aircraft appears to have noticeable canopy tint or actual EOTS apertures. Perhaps those items are not finished in their development?

There were quite a few F-35s built before they got actual EOTS as I recall as well. 2017 definitely looks tinted. 2016 as well.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:12:29 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Deino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 01:59:38 am »
No really big news recently - at least no new LRIP-bird, no new images - however a news report posted on May 25 opened up some interesting and quite controversial discussions:

Several of the supporters that China already has the WS-15 operational in these LRIP-aircraft often quote this page:

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/china/2017-05-26/doc-ifyfqqyh8509588.shtml

The issue raised up again with this latest CCTV-report that got some hype by the usual suspects in certain forums as being prove that the WS-15 is ready, that the WS-15 is available already in 4 versions and the most powerful one delivering 24t of thrust.  :o

As far as I however understand this report:
- No single word mentions the specific engine type used on the J-20,
- no single word mentions WS-10B or even WS-15 ??
- All this report says quite mysteriously, the "J-20 uses a locally manufactured engine" and it merely mentioned Liming factory.

My question now is - regardless what I think - as long as we don't know its true designation nor any specific data, I don't see this discussion in no way as a finally closed case. But can anyone identify this certain part of an engine under construction as shown below ?

Deino

W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 02:28:56 am »
The issue raised up again with this latest CCTV-report that got some hype by the usual suspects in certain forums as being prove that the WS-15 is ready, that the WS-15 is available already in 4 versions and the most powerful one delivering 24t of thrust.
lol
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 02:29:18 am »

slightly better quality vid
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Deino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 03:47:41 am »
The issue raised up again with this latest CCTV-report that got some hype by the usual suspects in certain forums as being prove that the WS-15 is ready, that the WS-15 is available already in 4 versions and the most powerful one delivering 24t of thrust.
lol

Yes it is indeed surprising what some people have in mind.  ;)

Anyway to admit, my hope was, that anyone would/could identify this certain part as part of either from an AL-31FN or from a WS-10, since IMO these are the only realistic options. I cannot believe that would be - besides the established WS-10 and the WS-15 still under development - yet another high-thrust powerplant in China available.

Or does anyone has more and better info ?

Deino
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline thrax

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:46 am »
Deino how they say 'Aegean ghost' camo in Han Chinese?  B)

Offline Deino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 08:42:27 am »
For the first time, a J-20A LRIP was spotted with a variant of the WS-10 'Taihang' - maybe the IPE - but fitted with serrated nozzle feathers.

Of note are the typical internal structures of the nozzle (for comparison on a WS-10A fitted to a J-11B).
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline LowObservable

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 09:04:42 am »
I found this adjacent to the same photo. Translation of caption would be welcome. The J-20's expression needs no translation...