Register here

Author Topic: Test pilot books by Don Middleton  (Read 1714 times)

Offline martinbayer

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Test pilot books by Don Middleton
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 12:45:55 am »
Countries apparently vary as very few people (private citizens) in Finland any longer possess a landline phone at all and anyone below 70 without a smartphone is viewed a some sort of freak. I am 45, btw.

And how has Finland be doing on the forefront of aerospace systems design and development, if I may venture to ask? Or maybe this attitude of labeling non cellphone toting fellow citizens as freaks is just due to a paucity of reliable landlines? Inquiring minds really want to know...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:50:03 am by martinbayer »
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Arjen

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 02:47:27 am »
<snip telephone-stuff>

"Tests of Character" -  if I don't bump into it, bookfinder or amazon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:06:34 am by Arjen »

Offline Pasoleati

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 03:59:13 am »
Countries apparently vary as very few people (private citizens) in Finland any longer possess a landline phone at all and anyone below 70 without a smartphone is viewed a some sort of freak. I am 45, btw.

And how has Finland be doing on the forefront of aerospace systems design and development, if I may venture to ask? Or maybe this attitude of labeling non cellphone toting fellow citizens as freaks is just due to a paucity of reliable landlines? Inquiring minds really want to know...

Well, our phone lines were and are far more reliable than yours. And I believe cheques are still used in the U.S. as a form of payment by private individuals. As my CO said in 1994: "Stepping in an American bank is like stepping back in stone age."

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:59 am »
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:07:12 am by Arjen »

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 01:31:33 pm »
Pasoleati, you posted a question and received a quick, kind and detailed answer. Really matters HERE the size of our phones? Please stay on topic

Offline gatoraptor

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 07:35:51 pm »
Considering that the first hand-held electronic calculator (HP-35) came out while I was a junior in college, I'm not one to take up the "latest and greatest" electronic item.  I got a cell phone because I got to where I needed one (well, that and milady wife twisted my arm  ;) ) but I don't see the need, on my part, for a smart phone.  Other people, other choices; I decided to stay with what give me what I need and keep costs in that area down.
I'm with you on that.  I have a flip phone for making phone calls but will not get a smartphone until it is an absolute necessity, which in my opinion has not happened yet.  It's not the phones themselves I object to but the way that most Americans have become, stupidly, completely addicted to them.  Even after I get one, I will not take it into a restaurant, or a retail store, and in my car it will stay firmly in the center console until I've arrived at my destination.  It's comical when I'm riding a subway train and virtually everyone around me spends their entire trip staring into their phones.  What is so vitally important that it can't wait until the end of the trip?  You didn't need one 20 years ago, so what's different now?  And I can wait until I get home to check my email.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 12:32:26 pm »
I just checked, there are several listed on ABEbooks.com and the prices are reasonable.

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 06:37:12 pm »
I have Middleton's book Test Pilot. It is an interesting read. I also found that it follows in more depth the BBC series Test Pilot, which you can find on Youtube! Same characters as the book with photos of the same men (in the book) and much more detail about the history and the ETPS, curriculum, and Course 44 (which I believe is the same as the 44th class of ETPS since its inception).

BBC TEST PILOT documentary, which Middleton's book is based: