Test pilot books by Don Middleton

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Folks, can anyone shed some light on the balance of coverage (prop vs. jet) of these books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Pilots-Don-Middleton/dp/0002180987/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481333844&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tests-Character-Flights-Legendary-Pilots/dp/1853104817/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481333844&sr=1-4

I just recently picked up "Tests of Character" at a local Half-Price Books (excellent chain with an eclectic and interesting selection in every story - and I've hit every one in Tarrant County - all eight of them). I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, so I will reserve comment at the moment.

Can you scan the contents page and perhaps a sample and post it here?

Not easily or quickly as I don't have a scanner at the moment. I will see what I can do about posting some information, though.

Pasoleati said:
Your smartphone camera can do it.

Assuming he has a smartphone...

https://www.google.com/photos/scan/

This is pretty good for taking pictures of books, mags, photos on the wall etc.

Don't have a smart phone. I will manually post the table of contents later today.

Good news for those so interested, it starts in the Inter-war years.

Who doesn't have a smartphone today? Even my 69 years old mom has one!

Pasoleati said:
Who doesn't have a smartphone today? Even my 69 years old mom has one!

That's your mother's choice, I presume. Other people make different choices, hard as that may be to understand for some, perhaps millennials especially.

Considering that the first hand-held electronic calculator (HP-35) came out while I was a junior in college, I'm not one to take up the "latest and greatest" electronic item. I got a cell phone because I got to where I needed one (well, that and milady wife twisted my arm ;) ) but I don't see the need, on my part, for a smart phone. Other people, other choices; I decided to stay with what give me what I need and keep costs in that area down.

Countries apparently vary as very few people (private citizens) in Finland any longer possess a landline phone at all and anyone below 70 without a smartphone is viewed a some sort of freak. I am 45, btw.

And I am 66, be 67 the end of November, and I suppose it makes a difference in technology attitudes.

In any case, here's the table of contents:
Chapter 1 - The Inter-War Years I
Chapter 2 - The Inter-War Years II
Chapter 3 - The Inter-War Years III, Engine Test Flying
Chapter 4 - The Second World War I
Chapter 5 - The Second World War II
Chapter 6 - The Second World War III
Chapter 7 - The Second World War IV
Chapter 8 - Post-War Developments
Chapter 9 - The Dangerous Transonic Years
Chapter 10 - Transonic Years II
Chapter 11 - Transonic and Subsonic Experiences
Chapter 12 - Post-War Transonic and Supersonic Achievements
Chapter 13 - Post-War Transonic and Supersonic Achievements II
Chapter 14 - The Development of Vertical Take-Off and Landing Aircraft
Chapter 15 - The "V" Bombers
Epilogue
Bibliography
Index

Pasoleati said:
Countries apparently vary as very few people (private citizens) in Finland any longer possess a landline phone at all and anyone below 70 without a smartphone is viewed a some sort of freak. I am 45, btw.

Frankly, I (being a German citizen dwelling in California) had always fancied Scandinavian residents being way more accommodating than that, so thanks for shattering my illusion of tolerance, I guess...

elmayerle said:
Considering that the first hand-held electronic calculator (HP-35) came out while I was a junior in college, I'm not one to take up the "latest and greatest" electronic item. I got a cell phone because I got to where I needed one (well, that and milady wife twisted my arm ;) ) but I don't see the need, on my part, for a smart phone. Other people, other choices; I decided to stay with what give me what I need and keep costs in that area down.

I'll second that decision.

Pasoleati said:

And how has Finland be doing on the forefront of aerospace systems design and development, if I may venture to ask? Or maybe this attitude of labeling non cellphone toting fellow citizens as freaks is just due to a paucity of reliable landlines? Inquiring minds really want to know...

<snip telephone-stuff>

"Tests of Character" - if I don't bump into it, bookfinder or amazon.

martinbayer said:
Pasoleati said:

And how has Finland be doing on the forefront of aerospace systems design and development, if I may venture to ask? Or maybe this attitude of labeling non cellphone toting fellow citizens as freaks is just due to a paucity of reliable landlines? Inquiring minds really want to know...

Well, our phone lines were and are far more reliable than yours. And I believe cheques are still used in the U.S. as a form of payment by private individuals. As my CO said in 1994: "Stepping in an American bank is like stepping back in stone age."

Pasoleati, you posted a question and received a quick, kind and detailed answer. Really matters HERE the size of our phones? Please stay on topic

elmayerle said:
I'm with you on that. I have a flip phone for making phone calls but will not get a smartphone until it is an absolute necessity, which in my opinion has not happened yet. It's not the phones themselves I object to but the way that most Americans have become, stupidly, completely addicted to them. Even after I get one, I will not take it into a restaurant, or a retail store, and in my car it will stay firmly in the center console until I've arrived at my destination. It's comical when I'm riding a subway train and virtually everyone around me spends their entire trip staring into their phones. What is so vitally important that it can't wait until the end of the trip? You didn't need one 20 years ago, so what's different now? And I can wait until I get home to check my email.

I just checked, there are several listed on ABEbooks.com and the prices are reasonable.

I have Middleton's book Test Pilot. It is an interesting read. I also found that it follows in more depth the BBC series Test Pilot, which you can find on Youtube! Same characters as the book with photos of the same men (in the book) and much more detail about the history and the ETPS, curriculum, and Course 44 (which I believe is the same as the 44th class of ETPS since its inception).

BBC TEST PILOT documentary, which Middleton's book is based:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfWqd9p33k