Quantum Radars

Hi.

China has seemingly tested a "quantum radar" (based on entanglement) for the purpose of detecting stealth platforms over long distances.

A.

Some articles of interest:

Stephen Chen, "The end of stealth? New Chinese radar capable of detecting ‘invisible’ targets 100km away - Breakthrough relies on ‘spooky’ phenomenon of quantum entanglement", South China Morning Post (SCMP), Sept 21, 2016
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/2021235/end-stealth-new-chinese-radar-capable-detecting-invisible-targets-100km

Jeffrey Lin and P.W. Singer, "China Says It Has Quantum Radar: What Does That Mean?", Popular science, Sept 28, 2016, popsi.com,
http://www.popsci.com/china-says-it-has-quantum-radar-what-does-that-mean

Hi

But quantum radars also have a long story too. Some yet-to-be-connected dots (or not).

In 1991 US Navy scientists JEHLE ROBERT E [US]; HUDSON DAVID F [US] filled a patent for an "Impulse transmitter and quantum detection radar system ", issued in 1992 as US Patent #US5095312.

In 2005, DR Edward H. Allen, then Lockheed Martin Skunk Works Chief Scientist, patented a "Radar systems and methods using entangled quantum particles" (US Patent Application #US2007296953 - US Patent # US7375802).That was hell of ages ago, but it bears interesting today.

More recently, in 2015, Jonathan L Abif (RAYTHEON BBN TECHNOLOGIES CORP) filled a patent for a "SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR AUTHENTICATED INTERROGATION OF A TARGET WITH QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT" (US patent Application US2016209497)

Numerous patents have been filed in China on this topics as well.

A.

Kadija_Man said:
Jindalee has been able to detect Stealth platforms since 1988.
Thx. But plaforms and stealth have evolved, and this counterstealth might be lured if not defeated thought spectromatic haze and fog (that's poetry guys).
So what we're talking about here, with quantum radars, is a new technology based on known albeit century old different physical principles. Which means getting enhanced, different information on targets.

A.

antigravite said:
Kadija_Man said:
Thx. But plaforms and stealth have evolved, and this counterstealth might be lured if not defeated thought spectromatic haze and fog (that's poetry guys).
So what we're talking about here, with quantum radars, is a new technology based on known albeit century old different physical principles. Which means getting enhanced, different information on targets.

A.

As Jindalee detects Stealth by detecting wave turbulence rather than the physical aircraft/ship, I think you are mistaken.

Kadija_Man said:
antigravite said:
Kadija_Man said:

A.

As Jindalee detects Stealth by detecting wave turbulence rather than the physical aircraft/ship, I think you are mistaken.

That was against First generation facetted designs (i.e. the F-117). I don't think it has ever detected a F-22 or an equivalent simulated proxy in testing. And if I further recall correctly, it was never able to reliably track a F-117 without an augmenter. On the other hand, the F-35 might be a different matter, particularly the B model when it's using the lift fan.

EDIT: To be clear, it's generaly not capable of detecting a unaugmented B-2 either (despite some, ah, optimistic claims by the Jindalee design team early in it's development), though cycling the bomb bay doors to drop weapons may be a brief exception to this.

Grey Havoc said:
Kadija_Man said:
antigravite said:
Kadija_Man said:

A.

That was against First generation facetted designs (i.e. the F-117). I don't think it has ever detected a F-22 or an equivalent simulated proxy in testing. And if I further recall correctly, it was never able to reliably track a F-117 without an augmenter. On the other hand, the F-35 might be a different matter, particularly the B model when it's using the lift fan.

EDIT: To be clear, it's generaly not capable of detecting a unaugmented B-2 either (despite some, ah, optimistic claims by the Jindalee design team early in it's development), though cycling the bomb bay doors to drop weapons may be a brief exception to this.

I beg to differ. B-2s were successfully tracked back in the 1990s, without "augmenters". The USAF was most embarrassed about this.

[quote author=Grey Havoc]
[/quote]

Since JORN can only see the top of an aircraft I don't know how the bomb bay doors would help. Unless the B-2 was engaged in international relations Maverick and Goose style.

JORN can detect stealthy aircraft because they are not designed to be low observable in the very low frequencies (for radar) it operates in: HF or 3-30 MHz. Which means its waves are 10-100m long.

antigravite said:
But quantum radars also have a long story too. Some yet-to-be-connected dots (or not).

Radar is a useful sensor because it can generate 100s of pulses a second. Until QR can demonstrate that kind of PRF its jusr a party trick.