Register here

Author Topic: Space X Interplanetary Transport System  (Read 25228 times)

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Space X Interplanetary Transport System
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
Musk reiterates plans for testing BFR

WASHINGTON — SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk said March 11 the company could begin tests of part of its Big Falcon Rocket (BFR) launch system as soon as next year, reiterating a schedule he provided last month.

Musk participated in an on-stage interview, announced on less than a day’s notice, at the South By Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas. During the appearance, he said the company was progressing on the development of BFR, which features a first-stage booster and upper-stage “spaceship,” the latter able to travel to and land on the moon or Mars.

“We’re making good progress on the ship and the booster,” he said. “That design is evolving rapidly” from his presentation about the BFR concept at the International Astronautical Congress in Australia in September 2017, which itself was a revision of the design presented at the same conference a year earlier in Mexico.

Construction of the first prototype spaceship is in progress. “We’re actually building that ship right now,” he said. “I think we’ll probably be able to do short flights, short sort of up-and-down flights, probably sometime in the first half of next year.”

http://spacenews.com/musk-reiterates-plans-for-testing-bfr/

Offline Archibald

« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:39 am »
I presume the flights will be automated. "Let's not play russian roulette" (the late John Young about trying a shuttle RTLS)
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Dragon029

« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2018, 05:20:15 am »
It'll be something like this, only with a much bigger rocket:

Offline TomS

« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2018, 10:02:32 am »
I presume the flights will be automated. "Let's not play russian roulette" (the late John Young about trying a shuttle RTLS)

Certainly.  The whole flight control process will be automated anyway, so putting a human on board during testing would be an unjustifiable risk. 

Offline fredymac

« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2018, 05:30:19 am »
From Spaceflight Now

"Musk: Atmospheric tests of interplanetary spaceship could happen next year"
https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/03/13/musk-atmospheric-tests-of-interplanetary-spaceship-could-happen-next-year/

“We are building the first ship, the first Mars or interplanetary ship, right now, and I think we’ll probably be able to do short flights, short sort of up-and-down flights probably in the first half of next year,” Musk said Sunday during an appearance at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas.".....

"Musk said the BFR will be able to deliver a payload of up to 330,000 pounds — 150 metric tons — to a low orbit just above Earth’s atmosphere, a figure that exceeds the maximum lift capacity of the Saturn 5, while accounting for a fuel reserve and performance penalty for landing and reuse."......

“A BFR flight will actually cost less than our Falcon 1 flights did back in the day,” he said. “That was about a $5 million or $6 million marginal cost per flight, and we’re confident that BFR will be less than that.”.........

Offline Archibald

« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »
That picture is awesome. While the propellant tanks and engines are fixed mass and volume, I wonder how much the forward BFS part (the nose) could be modified.
For example, the manned variant has a Boeing Stratoliner - like cockpit and passenger cabins. But the one showed in the picture has an Airbus Beluga -like cargo door.
When ones look at all those bizarre 707s and C-135 offsprings, some with very big noses, it is tempting to try and imagine plenty of crazy variants of the BFS.
To think a 747 ended as a fire bomber...  :o
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2018, 02:34:43 am »
That picture is awesome. While the propellant tanks and engines are fixed mass and volume, I wonder how much the forward BFS part (the nose) could be modified.
For example, the manned variant has a Boeing Stratoliner - like cockpit and passenger cabins. But the one showed in the picture has an Airbus Beluga -like cargo door.
When ones look at all those bizarre 707s and C-135 offsprings, some with very big noses, it is tempting to try and imagine plenty of crazy variants of the BFS.
To think a 747 ended as a fire bomber...  :o

That Picture was part of the presentation by Elon Musk about updated version of BFR last year
Means SpaceX will building this cargo version
What would be cool if BFR could bring Hubble space Telescope back home in one piece, for a museum.
I love Strange Technology

Offline Archibald

« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2018, 02:43:05 am »
I just agree with that. Hubble seating in the NASM would be one hell of a sight.

by the way, this picture reminds me of that James Bond early movie where the SMERSCH hijack space capsules and their astronauts to trigger a nuclear war between the two superpowers.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:45:00 am by Archibald »

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:05 am »
by the way, this picture reminds me of that James Bond early movie where the SMERSCH hijack space capsules and their astronauts to trigger a nuclear war between the two superpowers.

That's Elon Musk, a man who take himself not Serious,
but Serious transform our World Future...

...but he is not alone, there Jeff Bezos and Paul G. Allen
and the china business magnates who smell the blood of profit

Rocket Sommer is coming

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:05 pm »

You Only Live Twice.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2018, 03:29:55 pm »
I just agree with that. Hubble seating in the NASM would be one hell of a sight.

Though Elon is more Hugo Drax than Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2018, 03:04:53 am »
This make sense

First
BFR is far to big for Road Transport, used for Falcon 9
It has to be transported over sea to the Texan Testing facility and  from there to Launch Pads
So it needed to be constructed near a harbor.

Second
The SpaceX Hawthorne facility (Falcon 9 Production site ) is far to small for BFR production.

Financing the new billion dollar Production site will be easy
Investors to stand in line to trow there money into SpaceX (and Tesla) after Falcon Heavy maiden flight.
more on that Insanity here

Offline Dragon029

« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2018, 11:19:31 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVk3y3A0yB/

SpaceX main body tool for the BFR interplanetary spaceship

Offline TomS

« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:32 am »
Mayor of LA officially confirms what we already knew, that BFR is being built in Port of LA.

https://twitter.com/MayorOfLA/status/985931907970908161

I think this is a new graphic.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:56:42 am by TomS »