Register here

Author Topic: Air Force Could Pursue Stealthy Aerial-Refueling Tanker  (Read 26232 times)

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Air Force Could Pursue Stealthy Aerial-Refueling Tanker
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:05 am »
KC-Z already build or what?

What’s that got to do with it?

Well perhaps if you’d bothered pointing that in your original post rather than being needlessly snarky I might have realised.

Offline royabulgaf

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2017, 08:17:57 pm »
I think two things are going on here-  First, some sort of active stealth system that might require a large aircraft to carry.  Second, this aircraft is not going over or near contested territory.  The stealt just has to be good enough to seem like something else. 

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2018, 03:10:37 am »
New Stealth Tanker Model Is Touted By Air Force Research Lab At Aviation Conference

It’s apparently a variation on the ‘Speed Agile’ concept.

Here's Guy Norris’s original Tweet with the model.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AvWeekGuy/status/1012369504993710080

Sounds like there could be a special operations transport variant.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21864/new-stealth-tanker-model-is-touted-by-air-force-research-lab-at-aviation-conference
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:26:22 am by flateric »

Offline litzj

• BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
    • http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2018, 05:52:46 am »
From my pure prediction, if US combine laser weapon w/ 6th generation fighter and stealth tanker,

the new 6th gen. fighter could have unlimited magazine because laser only requires power or fuel to use.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:14 am »
From my pure prediction, if US combine laser weapon w/ 6th generation fighter and stealth tanker,

the new 6th gen. fighter could have unlimited magazine because laser only requires power or fuel to use.

....unless it gets cloudy.

Offline Silencer1

• That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2018, 09:08:08 am »

[/quote]

Same for IR guided missile. I wonder if aiming of cannon depends of direct view of pilot on target?

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:16 am »

Same for IR guided missile. I wonder if aiming of cannon depends of direct view of pilot on target?
[/quote]

What about the newer Imaging Infrared guided missiles?  Would they be affected too?

Offline Pioneer

• Seek out and close with the enemy
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »
Looks cool but too expensive.  Sometimes I wonder if there's somebody who's sole function is to come up with ways that guarantee program cancellation.

I'm hearing you sferrin 5/5

Its kinda ironic IMO that the United States has so eagerly and openly promoted the importance of the Force Multiplier aspect of their airborne refuelling and AEW assets to its potential (and inevitable) adversaries, that they've become the focus and principle targets of any serious and intelligent aggressor! I really don't get the Pentagon's logic!!! :o >:(

Regards
Pioneer
And remember…remember the glory is not the exhortation of war, but the exhortation of man.
Mans nobility, made transcendent in the fiery crucible of war.
Faithfulness and fortitude.
Gentleness and compassion.
I am honored to be your brother.”

— Lt Col Ralph Honner DSO M

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2018, 06:31:05 am »
http://aviationweek.com/awindefense/lockheed-details-hybrid-wing-body-future-tanker

Wonder if that changes with the proportions corrected.  That image looks pretty distorted.

Vertical axis compressed taking the half moon as a guide, contrast altered.

They both look distorted, just in different ways.  ???

That's because the height of the image was still incorrect. By applying a vertical reduction of 75% it looks about right. Applied some gamma correction to make more details apparent.

Offline Flyaway

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2019, 02:38:07 am »
The Air Force is mapping out the unprecedented capabilities it will need in a next-generation tanker, laying out an aggressive timeline for the “KC-Z” while it is only just getting the KC-46 to operational status. It’s not expected at this point that the KC-Z will be stealthy, however.

Air Mobility Command boss Gen. Maryanne Miller said it will take a year to identify the capabilities it wants in the future tanker, a process that is beginning right now. These requirements will be driven by the threat, as laid out in the National Defense Strategy and USAF’s Next Generation Air Dominance future fighter system. “We’ll have a tanker that supports” NGAD, she said, though she said it’s too early to say what exactly what will mean; whether, for example, the future tanker will be autonomous.

“Our priority right now is going to be the KC-Z,” she said.

While the specific requirements aren’t set, Miller said it looks for now as if stealth won’t be a requirement for KC-Z. While the tanker may need to get closer to the fight, no one knows how to keep a tanker stealthy once it deploys its refueling boom, so that feature isn’t likely to be required, she observed. Alternately, AMC is looking at a Navy study suggesting a “mother tanker:” a larger tanker that refuels smaller aircraft, which then go forward to refuel other platforms. However, she also called this prospect unlikely.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2019/March%202019/Air-Mobility-Command-Looks-to-Future-Tanker-as-it-Begins-to-Receive-KC-46s-.aspx