Register here

Author Topic: Air Force Could Pursue Stealthy Aerial-Refueling Tanker  (Read 26233 times)

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Air Force Could Pursue Stealthy Aerial-Refueling Tanker
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:00:27 pm »
They could skip the KC-Y competition and go straight to the KC-Z.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/air-force-could-pursue-stealthy-penetrating-kc-z-tanker
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:09:41 am by Flyaway »

Offline sferrin

Re: Air Force Could Pursue Stealthy Aerial-Refueling Tanker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:35:19 pm »
Stealth tanker?  Why not just save time and money and cancel that plan right now.  This should be the KC-Y:

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »
This is not a LO platform. There's another though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:17:54 pm by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline sferrin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:29:31 pm »
Looks cool but too expensive.  Sometimes I wonder if there's somebody who's sole function is to come up with ways that guarantee program cancellation.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:13:13 pm »
Stealthy Mobility and Support Aircraft

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
What would happen to the Flying Boom once it had refueled a fighter or bomber?  Looks rather cool if I say so myself.   B)

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:14:09 am »
- the UARRSI receptacle is not stealthy, otherwise B-2s, F-117s, F-22 would not have that feature retractable.
- Flying booms are not stealthy
- two aircraft flying in formation more than double the individual RCS

so you can make a stealthy receiver and a stealthy tanker airframes, but how do you make a stealthy connection and transfer of fuel?
I dunno, i don't see penetrating assets refueling inside contested air space...i could see a reduction of the standoff distance required, that yes.
Not saying it can't be done, just that the physics and the penalties associated are against you.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline NeilChapman

• Interested 3rd party
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 09:44:10 am »
Stealthy Mobility and Support Aircraft

Let's face it.  The idea isn't that you're flying a tanker into the middle of a high-threat environment.  It's that the high-threat environment is extending to where tankers have typically flown.  The expectation is that high-threat will be - or is - 600-1000nmi out from targets.  The adversary will by-pass your fighters to eliminate the tankers leaving the fighters w/o fuel to return.  This leaves several billion dollars of strike package that will take forever to replace likely floating in the ocean somewhere. 

But let's look at some options.

Flying a KC-46 into a high threat environment.  Designed for a low to medium threat environment.

KC-46 - US$250Million a pop - ~200k lbs of fuel - 200 planned inventory - Critical asset
Upside
1)  Existing tanker

Downside
1)  You can't bolt on enough stuff to ensure it's survivable in a high-threat environment.  At most you'll 'augment' it's capabilities. It's a big, fat RCS target even when it's not fueling.
2)  You'll assign an air patrol to protect these assets.  That increases the value/costs of KC-46 by the value of the other airframes. (4-F-35's valued at ~US$400Million)
3)  Integrate into naval defensive systems.  Add weapons systems. Add a weapons officer. - Serious development costs.  Still a big fat target.

Make the MQ-25 stealthy - Use it as a connector for the KC-46.  KC-46 stays back, MQ-25's deploy forward coming back to KC-46 for fill ups. 
1)  Won't have a boom - AF is left stranded. 
2)  Navy seems to have little interest in this.  Not likely to be successful.

Build tanker variant of B-21

KA-21 (Tanker/Attack B-21 variant) - ~US$500Million - ~150k+lbs of fuel - limited inventory - Critical asset
Upside
1)  Designed for high threat environment.  When it's not fueling it's not there.  Will disappear quickly.
2)  Designed for unmanned operations
3)  Airframe in development w/2025-28 IoC
4)  Additional airframes or variant of B-21 will lower acquisition, operations and upgrade costs of strategic bomber fleet.
5)  Forward deployed sensor fusion - assists in it's own defense - no need for HVACAP
6)  If it uses F-35 code - AEGIS & F-35 weapons integration.
7)  Limit 1st version to boom only (dev costs) - Navy has MQ-25
8)  Leverage NG's autonomous aerial refueling knowledge
9)  Possibly replace co-pilot w/boom operator leveraging unmanned operations tech in lieu of co-pilot.

Downside
1)  Seems expensive - tough sell
2)  Have to work w/Boeing to develop new boom - telescoping to fit in area of bomb bay perhaps. 
3)  Add boom operator for initial version - dev program to work toward autonomous system

EDIT - Expect NG would work w/Airbus on the refueling boom.  I'm guessing that Boeing would have absolutely zero motivation to work with 'NG' on this. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:53:39 am by NeilChapman »

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:22 am »
- the UARRSI receptacle is not stealthy, otherwise B-2s, F-117s, F-22 would not have that feature retractable.
- Flying booms are not stealthy
- two aircraft flying in formation more than double the individual RCS

so you can make a stealthy receiver and a stealthy tanker airframes, but how do you make a stealthy connection and transfer of fuel?
I dunno, i don't see penetrating assets refueling inside contested air space...i could see a reduction of the standoff distance required, that yes.
Not saying it can't be done, just that the physics and the penalties associated are against you.

My understanding is that a hose-reel system for B-2 -> F-22 refueling was seriously examined more than a decade ago and was shown to meet the survivability requirements.
It only fell down on the retrofit costs for both aircraft.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:04:56 pm by marauder2048 »

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »
Interesting - i had never heard of that.
Do you know if it was a probe and drogue setup just like the Navy's or somehow it plugged into the current receptacle?
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »
A couple more images of stealth tanker concepts:

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »
Interesting - i had never heard of that.
Do you know if it was a probe and drogue setup just like the Navy's or somehow it plugged into the current receptacle?

It was to be a probe retrofit for the F-22. This was during the era of Northrop Grumman's unsolicited B-2C proposal.

Offline Hood

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:46 am »
I'm slightly confused as to where the KC-Z fits in and concepts like the Arsenal Plane.

According to a recent quote from Flightglobal Brig Gen Alexus Grynkewich, team lead for the 2030 air superiority study, said he sees the Arsenal Plane as a large platform with a heavy payload that would not need to be manoeuvrable or stealthy because its long-range would ensure its survival; ďAn Arsenal Plane is something thatís large, long-range, not very manoeuvrable, [with] very long weapons.Ē

So is KC-Z designed to go ahead of the Arsenal Plane? At what point do your tanker assets need to be ahead of your strike package. Of course the F-35s and F-22s need to be ahead of the arsenal plane to provide it with the targeting data, but the concept of the Arsenal Plane gives them some stand-off capability. A stealthy KC-Z would give the fighters more loiter time perhaps but it seems an odd choice.
Though I must admit the Arsenal Plane seems the odd one out, there seems to be some overlap, F35 + AP and B21 + PCAP; in effect a fighter-led strike package and a fighter-supported strike package.
Just trying to make sense of the choices or is the DoD just chucking around ideas?

Offline Archibald

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 02:13:30 am »
Sounds obvious to me - There is a very simple way of having a stealth tanker. Just put some fuel tanks in a Northrop B-2A bomb bays, and use the Navy probe-and-drogue system (no need for a fixed boom)
According to Wikipedia,
The B-2 is capable of carrying 40,000 lb (18,000 kg) of ordnance

Not a lot of fuel, but well enough for a F-35 or even a F-22.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:15:35 am by Archibald »
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline hesham

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 05:48:17 am »
A couple more images of stealth tanker concepts:

Nice find my dear Dynoman.