Tupolev Tu‑160: Soviet Strike Force Spearhead

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-x2011-160-Spearhead/dp/0764352040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471166141&sr=8-1&keywords=Tu-160

Publication date: november 2016

Is this going to be just a revision of the original Red Star excellent monographic...

https://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-160-Blackjack-Russias-Answer/dp/1857801474/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471166141&sr=8-5&keywords=Tu-160

or are going to see drawings of previous unknown designs related to competitive designs, ancestors or unbuilt proposals?

My dear Pometablava,

Also I hope there is something new in this book rather than older.

pometablava said:
Is this going to be just a revision of the original Red Star excellent monographic...

https://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-160-Blackjack-Russias-Answer/dp/1857801474/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471166141&sr=8-5&keywords=Tu-160

or are going to see drawings of previous unknown designs related to competitive designs, ancestors or unbuilt proposals?

If you have seen the title on the Tu-144 released by Schiffer a couple of years back you will get an idea - in summary a lot of new content with regards to prototypes , almost double the size in Pp and Pcs and HB as compared to Red Stars from the now defunct Midland Counties - i would hazard - well worth a buy if you are a bomber Buff

A number of Gordon's books from the Red Star series have gotten the enlargement and update treatment, such as the volumes on the Tu-4 and the Ekranoplans, and so far I have found the new editions all sufficiently improved to make them worthwhile investments.

Re: Tupolev Tu‑160: Soviet Strike Force Sp

Received my copy yesterday. After a short look through last night I am impressed.It appears to be the best of the series so far. A must have for anyone with interest in Russian aviation. Great job to to the author.
Cheers,.Jim

Re: Tupolev Tu‑160: Soviet Strike Force Sp

jimlea said:
Received my copy yesterday. After a short look through last night I am impressed.It appears to be the best of the series so far. A must have for anyone with interest in Russian aviation. Great job to to the author.
Cheers,.Jim

Any chance of a review for those of us who are still waiting to get a copy?

I recently got one. Excellent work, about the only thing missing was the Tu-160 over Syria...which was obviously too recent to incorporate. Plenty of details on the new modernization programmes and the new production plans. If you compare this to the Red Star volume, you get a TON of additional information about the early Tupolev and Myasischev designs, as well as updated and expanded bits everywhere else. It's about three times the length of the Red Star book. Highly recommended if you have an interest!

Does the book have any images of the unbuilt Tu-160 variants of the 1980s (Tu-160PP, Tu-161, Tu-160K, Tu-160V etc.)?

from amazon.com customer reviews:

"The story starts with a 40+ page pre-history of the development and the associated politics within the various design and politburos". JCAL

Not too bad since the book has 288 pages...

I would join Meteorit's question

Does the book have any images of the unbuilt Tu-160 variants of the 1980s

There's a three-view of the Tu-160PP, and a cutaway side-view of the Tu-160K.

There's a really authoritative Tu-160 book in Russian by Tupolev employees A. M. Zatuchny, V. Rigmant and P. M. Sineokiy which is chock full of original Tupolev drawings and photos. Hopefully some of this information made it into Gordon's new book.

I will receive my copy next March 21st. Then I'll post the comprehensive review taylored for SPF members

The book arrived.

Compared to "A. M. Zatuchny, V. Rigmant and P. M. Sineokiy, Ed Polygon", true reference, "Gordon & Kmossarov, Ed Schiffer" is a hard contender. In my opinion, there's no alternative for those who can't read Russian.

The Schiffer book is a big volume, beautiful edited with lots of big pictures, many of it in colour. Unbuilt project enthusiasts will be delighted.

Chapter 1: the great contest (pag 9 to 52) Tupolev bid Tu-160IS, Tu-160M (first use) and Tu-160M VG variant, Sukhoi T-4MS, Myasishchev M-20 (about to 20 versions described and illustrated), M-18
Chapter 2: the bomber takes shape (pag 53 to 86): the different preliminay designs (1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7, 8A, 8B, 9, and 10) are shown in gorgeus detail from different desktop model photos and three view drawing
Chapter 5: versions and projects (pag 151 to 164): Tu-160PP (3 view drawing), Tu-160 NK74 engines, Tu-160M (second use), Tu-160V, Tu-160K (internal profile drawing), Tu-160SK (drawing and desktop models), Tu-160 civil registration (desktop model), Tu-160M Mid-life update (third use), Tu-160M2

I also like Chapter 6: Tu-160 in detail, Chapter 7: Tu-160 in service and Chapter 8: Blackjack vs Bone

Hopefully some of this information made it into Gordon's new book

Both books share a lot of common pictures. I can't tell about the text since I can't read Russian. But I see more projects and tables n the Polygon book because it tells the competition story from an earlier point in the timeline, including previous bomber designs to the official Tu-160 RFP, and ends with prospective follow on projects too. It's a pity to see considerable information amounts from Russian language literature lost in its English language adaptations.

There are also a great number of colour profiles showing aircraft markings and curious and artistical photos which benefit from the unique nature and dimensions of the aircraft.
The large format and paper quality of the volume contribute to a great extent.

I think I left nothing to say. I strongly recommend it.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
There's a really authoritative Tu-160 book in Russian by Tupolev employees A. M. Zatuchny, V. Rigmant and P. M. Sineokiy which is chock full of original Tupolev drawings and photos. Hopefully some of this information made it into Gordon's new book.
Pavel Sineokiy is a head of Polygon Press in fact

flateric said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Pavel Sineokiy is a head of Polygon Press in fact

Typical. I checked on Zatuchny and Rigmant is the archivist.

pometablava said:
The book arrived.

Compared to "A. M. Zatuchny, V. Rigmant and P. M. Sineokiy, Ed Polygon", true reference, "Gordon & Kmossarov, Ed Schiffer" is a hard contender. In my opinion, there's no alternative for those who can't read Russian.

The Schiffer book is a big volume, beautiful edited with lots of big pictures, many of it in colour. Unbuilt project enthusiasts will be delighted.

Chapter 1: the great contest (pag 9 to 52) Tupolev bid Tu-160IS, Tu-160M (first use) and Tu-160M VG variant, Sukhoi T-4MS, Myasishchev M-20 (about to 20 versions described and illustrated), M-18
Chapter 2: the bomber takes shape (pag 53 to 86): the different preliminay designs (1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7, 8A, 8B, 9, and 10) are shown in gorgeus detail from different desktop model photos and three view drawing
Chapter 5: versions and projects (pag 151 to 164): Tu-160PP (3 view drawing), Tu-160 NK74 engines, Tu-160M (second use), Tu-160V, Tu-160K (internal profile drawing), Tu-160SK (drawing and desktop models), Tu-160 civil registration (desktop model), Tu-160M Mid-life update (third use), Tu-160M2

I also like Chapter 6: Tu-160 in detail, Chapter 7: Tu-160 in service and Chapter 8: Blackjack vs Bone

Hopefully some of this information made it into Gordon's new book

Both books share a lot of common pictures. I can't tell about the text since I can't read Russian. But I see more projects and tables n the Polygon book because it tells the competition story from an earlier point in the timeline, including previous bomber designs to the official Tu-160 RFP, and ends with prospective follow on projects too. It's a pity to see considerable information amounts from Russian language literature lost in its English language adaptations.

There are also a great number of colour profiles showing aircraft markings and curious and artistical photos which benefit from the unique nature and dimensions of the aircraft.
The large format and paper quality of the volume contribute to a great extent.

I think I left nothing to say. I strongly recommend it.
Note that the same authors of the Polygon book also do an equally good and comprehensive book on the Tu-95/-114/-142/-95MC family of aircraft. I received both of those books today in a real "doorstop" of a package. ;)