whatifmodellers.com - the home of What-if and Project modelling

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you like making your own what-if models, drawing imaginary profiles etc then your natural home is the What-If Modelers Forums. Its kind of the (older ;D) brother of this site, focussed on the modelling side and not just real "unbuilt projects" but all kinds of imagined alternatives.

Last edited:
I apologize for gravedigging this thread, but it appears the registration is disabled? I'd like to join, and I've waited a few weeks to join and have checked the registration page, but now I'm wondering if the site is just entirely down? I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask about this, but I couldn't find anything at all about it!

Apologies if I may have put this in the wrong place,

Regards,

BlastWave

I'm registered there, and the site is alive and well. I don't know about any potential constraints for joining though.

Martin

User registrations are disabled at present. I can register you as an admin if you want to join however.

It will be moved to a new server and platform this month and registrations will be enabled then.

Has the site been transferred to the new server? As of this message, registering is still disabled.

Is there an estimated date when registry will be open again? I'd love to join to see the artwork, and maybe even post a bit of my own.

hs121trident said:
Is there an estimated date when registry will be open again? I'd love to join to see the artwork, and maybe even post a bit of my own.

The move was completed and registration is open.

The reason the captcha didn't work for you is because there isn't one.
When you apply for an account, one of the site admins has to personally review and authorise it.

However I now see a verification field in the application form, which presumably you mistook for a captcha, so I will ask about that.

Last edited:
The site used an old Recaptcha version which stopped working. It should work now, however it does still require manual activation after registration.

I have asked a moderator over there if they can offer any advice.

I have asked a moderator over there if they can offer any advice.
Did they ever figure out the IP address ban? I’ve had the same issue as @th12333 for years now, from multiple networks… always assumed maybe it was linked to my geography or internet provider.

I was informed that "Just to keep you in the loop. Martin is also a member on Secret Projects and he has PM'd the guy over there to let him know what's going on so hopefully can sort it out."

If it has still not been sorted out, or if others are having similar problems, I might be able to follow that up. The more info the better, especially, at what point does the "You are banned" message arise and how is it delivered?

This is the message. It’s on the landing page.

Only seems to happen on my home internet network (Verizon) not on my mobile phone network.

Attachments

• 4D178884-40EE-40A3-BE08-319C81E90CCA.jpeg
    4D178884-40EE-40A3-BE08-319C81E90CCA.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 54
Its very simple to fix. I told you how in an earlier post.

Visit www.whatismyipaddress.com to find out the IP address you have when you see the ban.

Send it to me and I'll remove it.

There are hundreds or thousands of banned IPs so it's impossible to fix without knowing which address is being blocked.

Visit www.whatismyipaddress.com to find out the IP address you have when you see the ban.

There are hundreds or thousands of banned IPs so it's impossible to fix without knowing which address is being blocked.

Just to clarify, this is a problem creating an account at What If Modellers. Do you administer that too?

Just to clarify, this is a problem creating an account at What If Modellers. Do you administer that too?
I have admin access as I manage their webserver. I converted it from IPB to SMF many years ago, and then upgraded from SMF 1.1 to SMF 2.0.

I've had a look and I could see the IP blocked but couldn't find a matching ban. All the IP bans are from 2013 and earlier, so probably should just be removed en masse.

Hi guys, whatever happened to whatifmodelers.com? Has it been hacked?
The domain name spelling changed from a single l to whatifmodellers.com with double-l some years ago. I cannot recall why, but the original single-l spelling was taken over by a fashion-type modelling agency or similar.

As it happens, our Overscan has just upgraded its software. This has broken a few folks' bookmarks/favorites links to their logins and the like. And of course it went over to https a while ago.

Check out the current site at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/

whatifmodelers.com was owned by Tom ("Supertom") on the WhatIfModellers forum and he let it expire a few years ago. I registered whatifmodellers.com as a stopgap, Tom reappeared a day later and paid for whatifmodelers.com, so for a year both names were active, then Tom stopped paying for whatifmodelers.com, so someone else bought the domain.

Last edited:
As it happens, our Overscan has just upgraded its software. This has broken a few folks' bookmarks/favorites links to their logins and the like. And of course it went over to https a while ago.

Check out the current site at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/
The upgrade has brought new features, and the look is different. Adjustments to font sizes and such details still seem to be going on.

And it looks like this site has benefited from your efforts there too, Paul. This site didn't have any issues loading this morning.