Western Artists' Concepts of Soviet aircraft during the Cold War

Hello gents

I am after either a side profile drawing or a 3-view drawing of one of the early impressions of the West's take on the Sukhoi Su-19 'Fencer' (that's right the Su-24!)

I have checked out the subject 'Soviet aircraft misidentifications' on Secret Projects - but non to the artist profile I have posted.

P.S. Sorry Overscan, I hope I have posted this in the right area?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Early impression profile of the Su-19 'Fencer-A' (Su-24).gif
    Early impression profile of the Su-19 'Fencer-A' (Su-24).gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 201
No, you didn't. I moved it for you :)

Its a speculative drawing of the Su-24, so I think it best fits in Theoretical and Speculative Projects.

From Angelucci "Weltenzyklopädie der Flugzeuge - Militärflugzeuge 1914 bis heute":

Attachments

• Su-19.gif
    Su-19.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 177
Two impressions from Flight International July 29th 1978.

Regards Bailey.

Attachments

• SU19a.jpg
    SU19a.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 168
  • SU19b.jpg
    SU19b.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 160
more

Attachments

• SU-19-1989-2.jpg
    SU-19-1989-2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 123
  • SU-19-1989-1.jpg
    SU-19-1989-1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 120
  • SU-19-1986.jpg
    SU-19-1986.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 104
  • SU-19-1981.jpg
    SU-19-1981.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
  • SU-19-1975.jpg
    SU-19-1975.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks to you all gents for your time and effort.
A bit of variation there - but all in all not to far off the mark of the actual Su-24!

Regards
Pioneer

I just remembered a sideview I saw in a Jane's Defence Weekly back in the late '80s. It looked similar to the Ye-8 with a touch of Ye-33(?) (the 'single engined MiG-29'). This was before that a/c had been revealed. I think it was rumored to become the MiG-35 & was to counter the F-16 & ISTR it may have been refered to as Ye-32. It looked more like the Ye-8 I think. There was nothing else seen or heard as I recall & when the Ye-33 was revealed, I took it to be the Ye-32 JDW wrote of. Does anyone here recall the article?

pometablava said:
More from the "Weapons Encyclopedia". This time Chinese Fighters, the J-8 and the J-12. Both from Shenyang
"The J-8 Finback would be a Mach 2 fighter (2 Tumansky R-11 copies) developed from one MiG-23 received from Egypt. First operational units would be ready from 1980".
"The J-12 would be a Mach 2 fighter engined with one Spey with afterburner". The Chinese Spey program started in 1979.

Sorry to re-open that tread with this off-topic question, but do You have the complete title / year + ISPN of that book/article ??

Thanks in advance, Deino

Hi,

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 665
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 516
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 536
Not so much a misidentification of a Soviet aircraft as such. Perhaps more a misidentification of its true intention!
Its the Antonov An-72 Coaler

It has been suggested that the An-72 may be a flying scale model of a larger military freighter (transport), intended to prove the upper-surface blowing concept,..............
(From: Bill Gunston`s The Encyclopedia of World Air Power, 1981)

Regards
Pioneer

Did the Soviet Union also engage in this speculative forecasting or was their sufficient speculative forecasting information in Western aviation journals that this was unnecessary?

Grumman projected a future Soviet VG fighter called "Fearless" as part of the F-14 program. Air International got confused and reported it as a real aircraft

This from 'Soviet Aircraft of Today', Nico Sgarlato, Arms and Armour Press, 1978, page 11 :-

" Fearless Advanced Soviet Fighter variable geometry twin jet hypothesised by
the USAF to be inserted in the software of the flight simulators"

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 691
UNK_Soviet.jpg

from "Parade d'avions" by Helsingborgs Litografiska, undated (robably mid-fifties as the cover features the proto B707

the interesting ones are the Rhomboidal wing aircraft and the Arado NJ derivative delta ...

JCC

Yes Jemiba, this look like it ... so complete creation...

what about the Delta which looks like an Arado Night Fighter project (Ar NJ I if I remember well) ?

JCC

Hi,

the Ilyushin Il-3 was tank-busting version of the Stormovik aircraft
as they thought in 1947 in Popular Science magazine.

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=jiQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA86&dq=helicopter+Jet-propelled&hl=ar&ei=7Au7TPG3OMmBOqPo-OoM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=helicopter%20Jet-propelled&f=false

Attachments

• Il-3.JPG
    Il-3.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 549
By the way,

this fighter may be called MiG-41 or Aircraft 41 at the 1980s.

Don't know about the third project, but the other two DID exist, though not in the Soviet Union. First one looks Supermarine to me, while the second one was definitely a German project, most likely Lippisch-related.

Stargazer2006 said:
Don't know about the third project, but the other two DID exist, though not in the Soviet Union. First one looks Supermarine to me, while the second one was definitely a German project, most likely Lippisch-related.

...Pretty much what I was thinking. That particular "engines-on-tail" design just says to me that without some serious reinforcing - read: reinforcing circa 1951 = too much extra weight - they'd rip off the nacelles the first time they powered up.

It's definitely all three German project (He P.1080; Li P.13a; Ta 283) and none of them were not going to build in the Soviet Union.
Relatively P.13a Alexander Lippish -
"On the Russian drawing boards" - there were similar projects with a delta wing, but a little earlier it: "SAM-4, Sigma" A.Moskalev 's (1933) and K-15 K.Kalinin' s (1937) / on the forum about them already written) ) /

Have you guys ever heard of early reports on the MiG-29 (say mid-80's) claiming it supposedly could carry the AA-9/R-33 long range missile? Of course we know now that its radar was incapable of properly using such a weapon but the only place I have ever seen this claim is a book I have had for some years now. The information in the book is old enough that the authors believed the MiG-29 had a APG-65 class radar and the AA-10 Alamo was a "Fire and Forget" missile along with other late Cold War beliefs of Soviet Airpower.

"Russia's Top Guns: Soviet Air Power", Gallery Books Aerospace Publishing 1990

The book actually shows a small picture claiming to have been taken by a Swedish aircraft over the Baltic that does show two large white missile-shaped objects (one under each wing). I assume they were likely drop tanks of some sort but I am still a bit curious..

Thoughts?

I've got that book ;D

I know that image well. I believe the MiG-29 was maneuvering and the R-27R's nose section sticking out, with the front canards, made the missile look a lot bigger so they figured it was an R-33.

That book also claimed, that the long-interception Mig would have had also a CFT between the two engine nacelles.
If I remember correct, that would not work with out major redesign of fuselage, because the drop tank blocked the cannon casing ejection port.

Picture source:
"Russia's Top Guns: Soviet Air Power", Gallery Books Aerospace Publishing 1990

Attachments

• Mig29AA9.jpg
    Mig29AA9.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 768
Regarding the MiG-29 CFT - perhaps this was just a mis-identification of the actual centreline tank, which does look a bit strange, since it has a hole for the APU exhaust...

RP1

I was looking thru some old Flight Globals online, for 1983, IIRC when I saw this, which I meant to copy & paste but forgot to, so it's from memory "RAM ?", yes, RAM- question mark, listed just ahead of RAM-P, & described as a 4 turbo fan design possibly intended to replace the Tu-95 as a cruise missile carrier, that's more or less a quote. I wonder what that was, maybe a mis-interpretation of the Tu-142? An Il-76 seen at the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe even the An-124? I don't recall ever seeing an artist concept of anything like that.

Eagle2009 said:
...and the AA-10 Alamo was a "Fire and Forget" missile along with other late Cold War beliefs of Soviet Airpower.

Well... R-27T was certainly fire-and-forget and R-27AE was to have active terminal homing like the AMRAAM (and then there is the passive homing head if you want to get really "out there")... The T would have actually been in service as well...

I know this is very late but I'm rather interested in the Romboidal wing fighter posted about by Matej (August 25 2006) , pometablava (October 01, 2006) & boxkite (October 14, 2006).

Were there any speculations about armament, engines, weight etc? (For example in one of the pictures posted by Matej there appear to be eight missle/bomb rails fitted under the wings (four a side))

Graham1973 said:
I know this is very late but I'm rather interested in the Romboidal wing fighter...
A verbatim quote from the "Nevsky Bastion" Issue № 3 dated 1997. 02.
in article "Mysteries of History Military Equipment" by G. Petrov (p.55)
"... So far, none of the local KB is not claimed to have conducted in the years of work on the jet fighter with a diamond/romboidal wing. However, be said that the pictures - the falsification impossible, as in the years 1950-1952 in TsAGI were working to determine aerodynamic performance fighter with a diamond/romboidal wing (wing RK-1, RK-1M, RK-2) "
Next G.F. Petrov proposal his reconstruction of the fighter.

Attachments

• Romboid - MiG.JPG
    Romboid - MiG.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 454

Attachments

• Rhomboidal.png
    Rhomboidal.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 430
Hi,

anther misidentification,the Soviet answer to X-15.

Attachments

• Soviet answer to X-15.JPG
    Soviet answer to X-15.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 393
Back
Top Bottom