Unknown Sikorsky tiltwing VTOL concept

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Anyone recognize this Sikorsky tiltwing VTOL concept?

Graham Warwick ‏@TheWoracle Jun 10

AHS Forum 72 special sessions now available @HeloSociety. A teaser: manned tiltwing VTOL variant of @Sikorsky RBW

Source:
https://twitter.com/TheWoracle/media

Attachments

• CknqhsCWgAA6yaV.jpg large.jpg
    CknqhsCWgAA6yaV.jpg large.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,123
RBW is Rotor-Blown Wing, Sikorsky's tail-sitter concept for the DARPA VTOL X-Plane program. The manned tilt-wing version is new.

http://m.aviationweek.com/blog/sikorskys-rotor-blown-wing-look-familiar

I suspect this might be Sikorsky's musings on a design for that notional USAF AX requirement, assuming it leans a bit more COIN than the A-10. The armament looks like Hellfires, rockets, and Sidewinders.

Concur with Tom.

Army won't do it cause it looks like an aeroplane.

USMC?

yasotay said:
Concur with Tom.

Army won't do it cause it looks like an aeroplane.

USMC?
Would this breach those silly agreements the Army has with the Air Force to not use armed fixed wing aircraft?

Some thoughts;

One: Yes I do believe that the USAF Inc. will pitch a fit if the Army attempts to get an air vehicle that delivers anything other than ATGM, small rockets and projectiles to targets at ranges greater than say 100 miles. ANYTHING that could risk government funding moving away from their portfolios is a threat. In fairness, all of the services do this.

Two: Army really likes things with big rotors, they have become accustom to that horse. Their fixed wing community is looked on as a circus not to be taken overly seriously. Also the Army is looking at pocket lint trying to find more money to fund existing programs. Another huge aviation program, especially an unsolicited one that might not fit a requirement, is DOA.

Three: The USMC has a stated need to replace the H-1 aircraft in a decade or two (right now that is FVL). Assuming this concept folds up to fit on the assault carrier, it certainly appears to fit nicely within the USMC stated desire to have its VTOL platforms all able to operate at the speed and range of the MV-22. There is also the fact that the USMC has been the only branch to be very successful at acquiring a range of new aircraft in the last ten years. If I were trying to sell an aircraft concept to the Department of Defense, that is where I would go.

Sadly I think this concept, like almost all of the ones on this website, will die due to financial starvation.

concept of Sikorsky image from the calendar of 1964

Attachments

• Sikorsky.jpg
    Sikorsky.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 673
That artist's concept isn't really viable, so much so that I'm surprised that it would be featured in a Sikorsky calendar. There are propellers on the wing tips, not rotors, which is why the design requires a fan in the tail for pitch control. However, because the wing blocks a significant proportion of the vertical thrust provided by a propeller, for acceptable vertical performance it would have to be tilted out of the way.

Reminds me of the Sikorsky concept below, which is a Tilt-wing

Attachments

• Sikorsky tilt-wing COIN.png
    Sikorsky tilt-wing COIN.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 570
mil said:
concept of Sikorsky image from the calendar of 1964

Nice find my dear Mil,

but it is not the same,you can find it here;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13484.msg238117.html#msg238117

From the Sikorsky briefing at the American Helicopter Society meeting last May.

Attachments

• Sik_concept.JPG
    Sik_concept.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 440
It is indeed a Sikorsky Tilt Wing. The picture above and the attached splendid pictures from our own CiTrus90 below, are of the transport version that had a crew of 2 or three and room for eight passengers. The design also had a twin seat (tandem) attack version as well. It was developed I am told to a USMC Request for Information in the later 90's as a UH/AH-1 replacement program. Of interest the wings folded back like a Grumman aircraft. The prop-rotor blades folded as well. The number of prop-rotor blades are conjecture.
It was assumed for a long time to be a Bell Tilt Rotor program.

EDIT: Did not realize we had a posted picture of the attack version. Also you can see that it had five prop-rotor blades.

Attachments

• StealthTR_1.jpg
    StealthTR_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 168
  • StealthTR_2.jpg
    StealthTR_2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 162
  • SIK_TW.jpg
    SIK_TW.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited: