RIP Robert F Dorr :-(

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Robert F Dorr has passed. Aviation has lost another great writer. :(

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154340674028689&id=678073688&comment_id=10154340740993689&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&notif_id=1465858019346322&ref=m_notif

Darn. :(

Sad year for pop-rock legends and great aviation writers alike. :-\

My condolences to his family if they happen on this thread.

Jon Lake, the British avation writer, posted this on Facebook:

I was very sad to learn that my old chum Bob Dorr (Robert F. Dorr) has finally 'departed this fix'. I have known Bob for virtually my entire working life (since 1984, in fact) and have variously been his editor, his co-author, and, I like to think, his friend. It was a great sadness to me that he was fighting his final battle on the other side of a big ocean, and that I was unable to get my ducks lined up enough to get over to see him. We did speak on the phone until he went into hospital, and I was waiting impatiently for him to get a phone in his room so that I could bug him again.
Bob was a legend in aviation writing, of course, an absolute master of anecdote and colour in a world that is often dry and grey. Bob was opinionated, interested and interesting, and was capable of making any and all debate fun, and any conversation could turn into a wild ride! And though detail and painstaking research was not always his first preference, when bullied into it by an annoying editor, Bob was an absolute natural, and when 'on song' he was probably the best aviation writer I ever worked with - and I worked with Gunston! Bob was great company, too, a genuinely funny man with a huge heart and an enormous capacity for kindness and generosity, and a real ability to transcend the potential barriers of age difference and nationality.
But what I will probably remember most about Bob is the great indefatigable courage and quiet dignity with which he faced his final illness. I hope I never have to face the same, but if ever I do, I hope that I can show even half the grit and good humour that Bob had in spades.
My deepest condolences go to Bob's lovely and long-suffering wife, Youngsoon Dorr, and also to his sons Jerry Dorr and Robert Porter Dorr, of whom he was quietly but very obviously enormously proud and hugely fond. Our loss is nothing like his family's, of course, but Bob will leave a completely unfillable hole in many of our lives.

2016 has not been a good year in this regard. :(

Rest In Peace.

An obituary from Combat Aircraft magazine.

http://www.combataircraft.net/2016/06/14/obituary-robert-f-dorr/

I`ve just read his "Mission to Berlin" and "Fighting Hitlers Jets".
A good man has gone.