Register here

Author Topic: NATF: planned Navy versions of the F-22 and F-23  (Read 89345 times)

Offline Phos

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Re: NATF: planned Navy versions of the F-22 and F-23
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2019, 12:24:48 am »
Read through most of this thread, but didn't exactly see anyone mention (but could have missed) that the Northrop NATF looks a lot like Mcdonnell Douglas's RFI proposal?  For convenience: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Fighter#/media/File:F-22_RFI.jpg

Welcome aboard Phos,

which one exactly ?.
Thanks

Mcdonnell Douglas's only "air to air" RFI plane has rear mounted trapezoidal wings and canards, relatively narrow body (from above at least) and close set engines.  I do recall someone in this thread posting that Mcdonnell Douglas might have taken the lead on their NATF proposal because of their CV aircraft experience, it seems that could have actually taken place. 

Would this design have run into the same problems as the General Dynamics proposal of not being able to figure out the vertical stabilizer placement?  Or do canards help with that somehow?  I guess Chengdu was able to figure it out, guess canards are what made the difference.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2019, 03:15:46 am »
I'd say similarity is rather subtle...
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Phos

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »
They made it a more realistic design, that concept's original wings make the Hornet's wings look stubby, and they got rid of the F-4 style intakes because it looks to me that this type of intake on a plane the scale of the NATF would have seen intake piping longer than 20 feet.  Plus, they're both high wing,or at least shoulder wing, in contrast to the YF-23's mid-low wing. 

That NATF model's accuracy is pretty middling, it has the YF-23's, for lack of a better term, intake lumps vs the more F-15 style siamese nacelles. 

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2019, 11:46:03 am »
They made it a more realistic design, that concept's original wings make the Hornet's wings look stubby, and they got rid of the F-4 style intakes because it looks to me that this type of intake on a plane the scale of the NATF would have seen intake piping longer than 20 feet.  Plus, they're both high wing,or at least shoulder wing, in contrast to the YF-23's mid-low wing. 
You really should read Metz book on YF-23 to get the NATF-23 design evolution story from the first hands.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works