AF-86 Ground Attack Project Model

kitnut617

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not sure if this is appropriate in this thread but after seeing a photo of a NA project for the original XP-86 (top pic) I built a model of it but it ended up like in the bottom pics. It is for a Ground Attack version.

Attachments

• XP86Sized.jpg
    XP86Sized.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 749
  • P-86A (8).JPG
    P-86A (8).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 731
  • P-86A (10).JPG
    P-86A (10).JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 707
  • P-86A (15).JPG
    P-86A (15).JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 667
kitnut617 said:
Not sure if this is appropriate in this thread

Not sure either... Funny that I actually removed a link to my own ground attack What-If photo recreation from this thread only yesterday!

Skyblazer said:
kitnut617 said:
Not sure if this is appropriate in this thread

Not sure either... Funny that I actually removed a link to my own ground attack What-If photo recreation from this thread only yesterday!

Would you move my post to somewhere where it is more appropriate then please.

kitnut617 said:
Not sure if this is appropriate in this thread but after seeing a photo of a NA project for the original XP-86 (top pic) I built a model of it but it ended up like in the bottom pics. It is for a Ground Attack version.

Would it have been any different/improvement over the Republic F-84 Thunderjet, in terms of performance - weapons load carrying, take off distance, range....?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
kitnut617 said:

Would it have been any different/improvement over the Republic F-84 Thunderjet, in terms of performance - weapons load carrying, take off distance, range....?

Regards
Pioneer

From what I've read about the original straight wing XF-86, no. The references say that was mainly why it wasn't proceeded with. Not until it was redesigned with the swept wing was the performance greatly improved (over 100mph different)

Easy for the espculative cutaway drawing...!

FYI Motorcar, I used a F-86A fuselage, FJ-1 wings and horizontal tail planes, F-82 fin and rudder. I placed the main gear in the same location as on both F-86 and FJ-1 in relation to the fuselage. This moved the wing root back a bit. I also moved the wing wheel bays towards the fuselage so the wheel end of the bays were in the fuselage. Other than that it was a straight forward build. For the load out I had read that RP pods were developed right after the war, as was the streamlined tail cone for the bombs.

A few more pics. This was built for participation in the 'Allied '46' group build on the Beyond the Sprues Forum

Attachments

• P-86A (11).JPG
    P-86A (11).JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 292
  • P-86A (12).JPG
    P-86A (12).JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P-86A (13).JPG
    P-86A (13).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P-86A (14).JPG
    P-86A (14).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 70
I already have the idea of how to do it, just like you already have the hardware and donors ...! It's a matter of hours on the mouse and ready ...!

Motocar