Register here

Author Topic: GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile  (Read 3797 times)

Offline fredymac

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:22 am »
Found an obscure Youtube channel with a couple test launches of the Coyote.  Unfortunately,  no video of the missile under ramjet power at cruise speed.  If there is an existing post dedicated to the Coyote please move this.  I didn't find anything in the search.

There are a couple of BQM target drones as well.

Offline sferrin

Re: GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:16:18 am »
This was the only one I'd ever seen:

And I found it ages ago, on some random site. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:34:16 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
Wily Coyote: Evolving the US Navy's supersonic anti-ship missile surrogate - Jane's IDR November, 2016

High diver

In March 2006 PMA-208 started working in conjunction with Orbital to develop a modification that would enable the GQM-163A to perform a powered dive in order to replicate the high-altitude cruise/near-vertical dive attack profile associated with a specific high-diving missile threat. A single GQM-163A was adapted to support the high-diver modification: this was in large part a software modification, but the extended flight time of the vehicle in high-diver mode also presented a challenge in terms of heat build-up and thermal management, necessitating some minor engineering changes to improve the thermal resistance of the on-board electronics.

A successful operational flight demonstration of the new high-diving mode was completed in July 2010. A number of mission-specific equipment kits were subsequently purchased to support GQM-163A targets configured with the heritage FES; the high-diver capability can be incorporated as a kit in all OFES targets and has been partially integrated into FRP-8 assets and beyond to reduce build time.

"To date, there have been 13 high-diver missions since the demo flight," said Capt Cecil, adding, "Additional modifications to high-diver capabilities continue to be made to meet test requirements. The GQM-163A recently completed high-diver flights at White Sands Missile Range that flew higher and faster than previous operations [52,000 ft and Mach 4]."

A further effort is the development and embodiment of an improved flight termination system kit. The objective here is to enable the Coyote target to fly a closer approach to manned ships conducting weapons system testing.

"Current range safety operating procedures limit the target to get no closer than 2.5 miles from manned ships," said Capt Cecil. "Modifications to the flight termination system are being made, which may allow the target to fly closer to a manned ship."

Work continues on the closer approach effort and associated range-safety approval for the GQM-163A target. In December 2015, NAVAIR notified its intention to award a delivery order to Orbital ATK to procure six OFES closer-approach kits in support of the GQM-163A programme.

Another initiative is the integration of a non-developmental government off-the-shelf Joint Advanced Missile Instrumentation (JAMI) Target Integrated Module (JTIM) into the OFES. NAVAIR in April 2016 notified its intention to contract Orbital ATK for this work, together with the provision of associated launch equipment for use in Quad Launch operations.

"Launch site preparation and required upgrades to the targets [for Quad Launch] are currently in work," Capt Cecil confirmed to IHS Jane's . "These are expected to be complete in 2018."

Offline sferrin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 07:03:09 pm »
One wonders what advantage this has over the cheaper, faster, higher flying AQM-37C.

Offline aim9xray

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
Ground launch. Cheaper mission cost, if you count in the AQM-37C's non-expendable manned booster system.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:51 am »
They are also looking at an AQM-37C/D replacement RFI soon.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:23:48 am by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »
They are also looking at an AQM-37C/D replacement RFI soon.

The Naval Air Systems Command, PMA-208 (Aerial Target and Decoy Systems), is conducting market research to identify qualified, experienced, and interested potential sources for a supersonic aerial target system capable of high altitude cruise, lower altitude cruise, tactical ballistic and lofted missile profiles.  Solutions that can satisfy the capabilities of interest (listed later in document) would be considered for replacement of the air launched AQM-37 as well as other future supersonic target capabilities. The purpose of this Request for Information (RFI) is for the Government to gain insight into existing products within industry and the ability of industry to modify existing products or to develop new items providing the capabilities of interest discussed below. This RFI also provides industry with a better understanding of the capabilities that PMA-208 is considering for the United States Navy as it establishes its future technologies roadmap. This market research is focused on concepts that currently exist or would be available starting in the Government FY2019 timeframe.

2.  Responses to this market research notification are due no later than 60 business days from this notice.

3.  This notice is issued solely for information and planning purposes only and shall not be considered as an invitation for bid, request for quotation, Request For Proposal (RFP), or as an obligation on the part of the Government to acquire any products or services.  Your response to this notice is strictly voluntary and will be treated as information only.  No entitlement to payment of direct or indirect costs or charges by the Government will arise as a result of contractor submission of responses to this notice or the Government use of such information.  Not responding to this Sources Sought Notice does not preclude participation in any future RFP, if any is issued.  If a solicitation is released, it will be synopsized on the Federal Business Opportunities (FedBizOpps) website (https://www.fbo.gov).

4.  Solely at the Government's discretion, vendors responding to this notice may be allowed time to brief their responses to the Government on a case-by-case basis.

5.  Desired Capabilities:

a.    Speed: Minimum of 2.0M.
b.    Altitude: Capable of profiles ranging from sea skimming to 70k ft or greater.
c.    Range: 160 nm.
d.    Maneuvers: Ability to program unique flight profiles consisting of turns, dives, dive pullout, spiral and/or weave maneuvers in the terminal phase.  Precision onboard guidance/navigation/control system required.
e.    Dive Angles: Up to 80 degrees.
f.     Payloads: Additional space, weight and power capacity to support seeker or emitter simulation payloads. Modular/plug and play interface for payloads.
g.    Telemetry: Signal range to 160nm to include Time Space Position Information (TSPI) and vehicle health.
h.     Location and Identification: AN/DPN-90 transponder system or other transponder with similar capability.
i.      Scoring:  Scalar scoring (e.g. AN/DSQ-50A).
j.      Flight Termination: Must be capable of achieving RCC-319 compliance. A minimized debris field is desired.

6.  Information Sought:

a.    Identify available supersonic target solutions that provide all or some of the above capabilities.
b.    Launch Method: Air and/or Ground. Air launched vehicles should be compatible with existing RDT&E or operational DoD aircraft (e.g. F-16, FA-18).
c.     End Point Accuracy: +/- 100 feet Circular Error Probable (CEP).
d.    Identify baseline and augmented Radar Cross Section parameters, if known.
e.     Identify artifacts and a rough scope of effort required to generate artifacts to support system, ground and flight safety certifications for the target system, if known.
f.     Identify any artifacts available that would assist 3rd party integration of the target into an aircraft platform or ground based launcher.
g.    Identify corporate roadmap (to include upgrades, sustainability, etc.) for the target solution.
h.     Identify any vendors and relationships involved in the target system and relevant qualifications.
i.      Identify software design philosophy/approach/practices, indicating familiarity with developing aviation and safety critical software.
j.      Identify preferred procurement method (acquisition & sustainment) and, if applicable, any license quantity pricing and measure (example: 1-10, 11-50, 51-100, etc.)
k.     Identify Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) cost & schedule estimate to include any major activities (i.e. Non-Recurring Engineering, Test, etc.). NOTE: This ROM cost & schedule estimate is NOT binding and will ONLY be used for planning purposes.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=65f7467c6a1469377e1bede00f8ade40&tab=core&_cview=0

Offline sferrin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:26:28 am »
"Desired Capabilities:

a.    Speed: Minimum of 2.0M.
b.    Altitude: Capable of profiles ranging from sea skimming to 70k ft or greater.
c.    Range: 160 nm."

Yikes.  That's a rather HUGE step back in capability compared to the current AQM-37C.

"In 1981, the U.S. Navy modified 10 AQM-37As under the Challenger program with a refined high-g autopilot, and enlarged heat-resistant tail surfaces, to allow for higher speed, altitude and manoeuverability. These features were incorporated into the AQM-37C, which was delivered to the Navy from 1986 onwards. The AQM-37C has a radio command control system, which allows changes in the flight path after launch, including a terminal dive at a controlled dive angle. It also features a digital autopilot, and improved radar augmentation in four different frequency bands. Some of the latest AQM-37Cs have further improved heat insulation, and can also be used to simulate ballistic missile threats, being able to fly ballistic trajectories to an altitude of 100 km (330000 ft) and a range of 425 km (265 miles), with terminal speeds of Mach 5. "

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-37.html

http://www.xmission.com/~sferrin/AQM-37_Jayhawk_Target.ppt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:36:06 am by sferrin »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:59:23 am »
This is an early stage and I guess the Navy would have to balance the cost, with unique capabilities that this target needs to possess in order to fit between the Ballistic Missile targets, and the GQM-163A along with the subsonic cruise missiles. I think this will probably end up being Mach 3-4 class perhaps taking the same propulsion route as the GQM-163A given the advances that Aerojet has been able to make since that target was developed.

Also, the PMO 208 has a hypersonic target S&T interest  that it may pursue for the future and this will likely interest other program and services as well given how that threat is likely to shape up over the next decade or so. I guess we need to look at some of the Super Sonic cruise missiles that the Navy may need to defend itself against and see what gaps exist in the current set up assuming that the GQM-163A may eventually be ship launched target as opposed to a purely land launched one.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »
Why not just keep building AQM-37Cs?  ???

Offline aim9xray

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 06:02:51 pm »
My understanding is that AQM-37 design is not suitable for ground launch which means that you need a launch aircraft for each and every target presentation (driving up costs).  Oh, and the Hydrazine/RFNA propellants induce a multitude of issues (including but not limited to handling costs) and are not well liked by ground and aircrew.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 09:07:35 pm »
My understanding is that AQM-37 design is not suitable for ground launch which means that you need a launch aircraft for each and every target presentation (driving up costs).  Oh, and the Hydrazine/RFNA propellants induce a multitude of issues (including but not limited to handling costs) and are not well liked by ground and aircrew.

True, but all this has been the case for almost 45 years.  Why now?

Offline Moose

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:38 pm »
Life cycle costs are only getting  worse, not better.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 10:47:22 am »
from fbo:

The Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR), Patuxent River, MD intends to
award a sole source, Delivery Order under Basic Ordering Agreement
(BOA) N00019-16-G-0015 with Orbital Sciences Corporation, 3380 Price
Road, Chandler AZ, for the integration of a Deployable Chaff System to the
GQM-163A target.  This system will be used to simulate the radar signature
of a Multi-Stage Supersonic Target (MSST) separation event through the