Mystery phased array TF radar.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From the San Diego Air & Space Museum site on Flickr:

Obviously it's just a mockup but I thought I'd put it out there in the off chance somebody might have an idea what it was associated with.

Well, its General Dynamics Convair Division. Terrain following radar + INS, rather missile nosecone shape radome - perhaps its for a Tomahawk variant?

Yep, it could be AMSA, except it wouldn't have a dedicated TFR and no separate main radar surely? That seems more like a missile or a navigation pod to me.

The image is from the Convair/General Dynamics Astronautics Atlas Negative Collection.

http://fas.org/spp/military/program/launch/atlas_f.htm

In June 1961, the official name of Convair-Astronautics changed to General Dynamics Astronautics, a division of General Dynamics Corporation, denoting full corporate division status as the largest business element of General Dynamics. In February 1965, the Convair and Astronautics divisions of the corporation were recombined under the Convair division name, following completion of the Atlas weapon system design, development, and base activation tasks for which the Astronautics division was organized. Convair division, designed, developed, and manufactured aircraft, space launch vehicles, Centaur high-energy upper-stage vehicles, OV-1 auxiliary space vehicles, fairing systems, electronic systems, and other aerospace systems and equipment.

So, post 1965 (which is to be expected)

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
The image is from the Convair/General Dynamics Astronautics Atlas Negative Collection.

Yep, that's where I got it. I didn't mention it because I thought throwing "Atlas" into the mix might confuse the issue.

Given the shape of the radome on early mock-ups and the configuration in the photo above, my guess (like PaulMM's) is this photo illustrates the planned TFR installation for the Tomahawk cruise missile.

See this photo below from the San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) Flickr photostream:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/8126131242/
8126131242_5484161a75_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom