Anther mystery in my files,need confirm,

in early 1970s,there was a Project version of Ye.155,intended for scout and
light bomber (not fighter at all).

Austin said:
Can some one tell me if there is a follow on project to replace the Mig-31 since they may retire in 12 - 15 years after BM upgrade which is being undertaken now.

They form a good chunk of Russia Air Force AD fleet and no replacement will mean a big hole , are there any plans to replace Mig-31 interceptors in the long run ?

Info will be much appreciated.
This may be nothing, but Wikipedia has this which cites a Jane's article: "Russia plans to start development of a replacement for the MiG-31 by 2019. The aircraft will be called PAK-DP (ПАК ДП, Перспективный авиационный комплекс дальнего перехвата – Prospective Air Complex for Long-Range Interception)."

Also from; МиГ-31 Непревзойденный истребитель-перехватчик

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 642
  • 2.png
    2.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 3.png
    3.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 4.png
    4.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 5.png
    5.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 6.png
    6.png
    359.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 7.png
    7.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 8.png
    8.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 376
Nice find my dear Rolf,

and as I know it was appeared in 1968.

1618327117708.png
ORIGINAL CAPTION: A GSh-6-23M cannon from a MiG-31 interceptor, preserved as a museum exhibit.

However, by the mid-1970s, the Soviet Union was working on rotary cannons, similar in principle to the classic American M61 Vulcan. While the U.S. gun fires 20mm ammunition, the Soviets always preferred larger calibers, either 23mm or 30mm. Six-barrel rotary cannons were produced in both these forms and armed the MiG-31 Foxhound interceptor and Su-24 Fencer strike aircraft (both 23mm), as well as the MiG-27 Flogger ground-attack aircraft (30mm).

Ooh, the tailless delta version at last :) Air intakes seem to be ventral, not dorsal though. It's clearly Tu-144 inspired...
I just remembered a MiG 1.42, IIRC, drawing I have from the early ‘90s from Flight International. I’m on my phone but I’m sure it is still on my computer. It is a double delta, twin fins and canards. When I saw it back then, it made me think of a twin engined F-16XL. I wonder if it could be related to this tailless delta design.

Much like the Ye-158 (the swing-wing MiG-25R), there were also plans considered for a swing-wing version of the MiG-31 (before that plane became a reality based on the Ye-155MP).

While on the drawing board, they suggested that when improving the MiG-25 with the Solovyev D30F-6 engines and among other features, that they also turn it into a swing-wing jet.

1622460694844.png

The variable-geometry wings not only improved field performance but increased onstation loiter time in certain flight modes. However, the sweep change mechanism increased empty weight and structural complexity; besides, unlike the MiG-23, the aircraft was not intended for dogfighting where 'swing wings' might confer an advantage. Hence development of this version was soon abandoned.

As you can see a couple of different nose and cockpit configurations were considered.

1622461046971.png

It was to have up to four R-33 missiles in the fuselage or four K-100s.

As it was derived from the MiG-25 and Ye-158 it was likely going to have the same performance, which would have been as follows:

Takeoff weight: 40,000 - 40,500 kg
Maximum speed:
  • at sea level: 1,400 - 1,500 km/h
  • at high altitude: 3,000 - 3,500 km/h
Maximum range:
  • at sea level: 1,600 km
  • at high altitude (subsonic): 5,000 km
  • at high altitude (supersonic): 2,500 km
Takeoff run: 400 m (dirt runways)

Last edited:
besides, unlike the MiG-23, the aircraft was not intended for dogfighting

The MiG-23 may have been intended to dogfight, but it certainly miserably failed at that job. I once red in a magazine, it maneuvered "like a tramway" - I liked the comparison...

Beautiful models.

besides, unlike the MiG-23, the aircraft was not intended for dogfighting

The MiG-23 may have been intended to dogfight, but it certainly miserably failed at that job. I once red in a magazine, it maneuvered "like a tramway" - I liked the comparison...

Beautiful models.

According to the Air Combat Manual produced by the Soviets on the export version of the MiG-23MLD, the MiG-23MLD izdeliye 23-19B of the Syrians without the dogtooth slats and vortex generator plates versus contemporary Western aircraft of the time, it was superior to the Kfir C.2 at all speeds below 4000 m and slightly superior to the F-4E Phantom (but presumably without slats, it's not specified). It's a 32 page document.

Only the first two models were terrible at maneuvering: the MiG-23S and MiG-23 Edition 1971. Their wings used to start disintegrating at 4.2g so they found out that the limit was 5g. A 4g limit was imposed on them.

Starting with the Type 3 wings on the MiG-23M they became fairly maneuverable planes. Leading edge flaps were introduced and these new wings came with a strength of 8g. Later the same wings were strengthened to 8.5g on the MiG-23ML/MLA and MiG-23P/bis. The Soviet version of the MiG-23MLD got the Type 4 wings with the same strength, but also with vortex generator plates and extra dogtooth slats which greatly improved its maneuverability and also its stability near stall speeds.

Last edited:
The Israelis (I think?) stated the MLD was no slouch. A very different beast.
Aerodynamic refinements, a more powerful engine (8500/13000kg) in a lightened airframe, improved avionics, an additional wing setting, and a different flight control system.

an additional wing setting

The vortex generator plates, together with the dogtooth slats, generated strong vortices at high angles of attack which reduced the tendency of the nose to yaw and facilitating maneuvering. The dogtooth leading edge slats extended to 20° at 10° of AoA if the aircraft was flying below 900 km/h and its wings were set at 36°, and they would also progressively go back to zero as the wings were moved to their maximum sweep angle of 72°.

Ooh, the tailless delta version at last :) Air intakes seem to be ventral, not dorsal though. It's clearly Tu-144 inspired...
I just remembered a MiG 1.42, IIRC, drawing I have from the early ‘90s from Flight International. I’m on my phone but I’m sure it is still on my computer. It is a double delta, twin fins and canards. When I saw it back then, it made me think of a twin engined F-16XL. I wonder if it could be related to this tailless delta design.
Any luck with this drawing? I have a soft spot for double delta design. ;)

The delta version reminds me of Avro Canada's CF-105. Probably not a bad option if they built with intent to procure future SLEP upgrades. But like all Soviet designs, plans never went beyond 5 years.

A tactical bomber based on a high altitude interceptor?

Say what?

About the only thing it'd be useful for is high altitude bombing (or carrying Kinzhal-like ALBMs).

A tactical bomber based on a high altitude interceptor?

Say what?

About the only thing it'd be useful for is high altitude bombing (or carrying Kinzhal-like ALBMs).
The Soviets already operated Reconnaissance-Bomber variants of the Mig-25, it's not that much of stretch for Mikoyan to design such a variant based on the Mig-31.