FORUM RULES: Cite your sources!

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
Sources???

Blackkite and others, could you please indicate the sources of the photos and drawings you post here?

AlanG

Hi!
You can reach the source easily if you try google image search. ;)
Generally Russian site is excellent for German projects.

So how hard is it to include the URL you found it on the post?

Also note on several occasions, the images posted elsewhere on the internet came from here, first, and you are simply reposting images from this site, to this site.

Warning issued.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
So how hard is it to include the URL you found it on the post?

Also note on several occasions, the images posted elsewhere on the internet came from here, first, and you are simply reposting images from this site, to this site.

Warning issued.
Oh.Warning issued.!!! Yellow card? Difficult community. :-[
So it's the best to post only URL? I think it's not interesting and waste time for very busy viewers.
I imagine that some viewers do not chech the posted URL.
It's not equal to post URL and post images which include the URL?

No, attach the image as normal, but include, in the post, the book, magazine, or URL where you found it.

Like this:

Source: Tony Buttler, American Secret Projects

Source: Aeroplane Magazine June 1977

Source: Wikipedia Commons (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Heinkel_He_177A-02_in_flight_1942.jpg)

Not difficult!

1) It is common courtesy to cite your source. After all, thats where the photo/drawing came from, the author or poster may have spent time and money finding it, scanning it, or whatever. It is only polite to give them credit for the post.

2) Sources help us to understand the picture's context. A drawing can be a real manufacturer's drawing, a drawing done by an artist for a magazine, or a doodle someone knocked out of MS Paint last week. If we know a drawing was published in Aviation Week at the time and is captioned as a manufacturer's drawing, we can be pretty certain its accurate.

3) Sources help authors and researchers track down material for their books. If you post a picture from Aviation Week and don't tell me where its from, I can't go and read the article that accompanied it. I may miss an important fact. If you tell me the issue, I can follow that lead myself.

4) Sources help people find interesting books or magazines to buy, or websites to visit.

If we can just follow these rules and put our sources, it makes life better for everyone.

Do you save in your library pictures from Net with URL or only URL? I think no.

I save both the picture and the web. Or at least I save the picture and add a txt file with the url or a note about the source. It's more work, I admit, but that makes the difference if you want to take your research seriously. Otherwise, in this world of information overexposing, you can't assure the quality of your data.

Secret projects forum is aimed to the serious amateur and professional researcher profile that's why we insist on citation and discourage speculation and fantasy within mainstream areas as there is the alt history and speculation section for such discussions. This ensures the speculation and the fantasy don't get tied in with real projects.

A prime example being the urban myth the UK F-111K was a long wing version akin to the F-111C, somebody had got their facts wrong and it became the default assumption the K was long span yet all the articles from the period and official documents clearly show it was a basic F-111A model with mods to meet British needs -