Aircraft Construction Methods

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I was thinking about several aircraft construction methods which include the following: Superplastic Deformation & Diffusion Bonding, and PRSEUS (Pultruded, Rod, Stitched, Efficient, Unitized Structure) I'm curious when they first became physically possible with the technology of the time, and when they were first used.

Superplastic Deformation & Diffusion Bonding (SPF/DB)
I've been interested in for some time and I remember it was used on both the General Electric GE4 jet-engine used for the SST program, and the B-1 design to allow it a strong, light structure, despite having swing-wings. From what I remember, it was essentially possible only with certain alloys, but effectively it was like glass-blowing with metal producing materials that were honeycomb-like in appearance and light-weight, except that they were not manufactured in the typical form of honeycomb and didn't have all the problems associated with it.

I've done some searching and haven't been able to narrow down an exact date as to when it was first proposed and used on gas-turbines (unless the GE-4 was the first) and when it was first actually used on aircraft components.

Pultruded, Rod, Stitched, Efficient, Unitized Structure (PRSEUS)
I came up on relatively recently and involves a creative series of carbon fibers, liquid crystal polymer spun carbon-fiber threads, made into preformed shapes, which were then coated with some sort of epoxy or plastic. It seems very useful for fatigue resistant, light-weight, and strong substances. From what I remember hearing, some ideas came from Eastern Europe or the fUSSR.