Register here

Author Topic: Rheinmetall developing 130mm tank gun.....apparently  (Read 10945 times)

Offline Moose

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Rheinmetall developing 130mm tank gun.....apparently
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »
I'd be pretty surprised if an all-new turret for the M1 family happened. Either they'll cram this in with an autoloader and a lot of tight tolerances, or the 130mm becomes the latest impetus for a new tank family.

Offline TomS

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 11:11:42 am »
Probably going to need an autoloader for a one-piece cartridge that big -- it's going to be around 60 pounds.  Can't see that fitting in the current turret at all.

Offline Colonial-Marine

• Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »
So what is the big advantage of this over the 140mm gun designs Germany, the US, and others were testing?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »
So what is the big advantage of this over the 140mm gun designs Germany, the US, and others were testing?

It will be smaller.
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline Colonial-Marine

• Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »
It will be smaller.
True but it will still require an autoloader to maintain a rate of fire comparable to existing 120mm guns and a similar amount of design work to incorporate the gun + autoloader into new variants of existing MBTs.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline TomS

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 09:32:45 am »
Seems that modern propellants give this 130mm at least as much power as the older 140mm concepts.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 10:33:51 am »
Seems that modern propellants give this 130mm at least as much power as the older 140mm concepts.

One can't help but wonder though how much the larger round, combined with the mandatory autoloader, is going to reduce the number of rounds that can be carried.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »

One can't help but wonder though how much the larger round, combined with the mandatory autoloader, is going to reduce the number of rounds that can be carried.
Which always gets me thinking about why no Losat or CKEM carrier?
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 12:45:09 pm »

The argument I always hear is that their launch signature was too big. (Funny though, I thought the strategy has always been "shoot-n-scoot".) 

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 09:34:24 pm »

The argument I always hear is that their launch signature was too big. (Funny though, I thought the strategy has always been "shoot-n-scoot".)

You need to remain in place to guide the missiles, when they fly directly to their targets.  The size of the launch signature as such is a clear guide to where the launcher is and more than likely where the guidance package is.  Not a good idea on a modern battlefield.

If a FOG-M style, vertical launch, fibre-optic or autonomous missile is used then you can hide from direct sight and fire and scoot or guide your missile safely to your target.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 11:14:18 pm »

When you can outrange a tank's main gun and hit a target 3+km away in about a second of flight time shoot and scoot with a lighter vehicle seems a reasonable CONOPS
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Maury Markowitz

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • From the Great White North!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:58 am »

The smoke trail points directly to the launcher, and is persistent. Shoot-n-scoot is great, but there's no way you can move a humv fast enough to avoid getting nailed by you target's wingy.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:33 am »

The smoke trail points directly to the launcher, and is persistent. Shoot-n-scoot is great, but there's no way you can move a humv fast enough to avoid getting nailed by you target's wingy.

Upon further thought I'd bet it's the laser designator less than the exhaust trail that's the issue.  You could easily put the missiles on low-profile, unmanned, "roamers" while designating targets from a manned vehicle thus keeping the launch signature away from the command vehicle.  Problem is, many armored vehicles have (or will have) detectors that alert them to if they're being "painted" and from where.  The laser itself is the give-away I'd wager.

Mike1158

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:07 pm »
Shirley a 130mm gun plus autoloader will be a reasonable move but replacing the M1 would be problematic when the recent record of the department of defence is considered.  BTW, a move to replace the gas turbine should be a priority, most likely a good hybrid diesel setup and some batteries.  Just not those from a certain brand of electric car.  There was an article about a Japanese plan to compete on the battery market with an iron hybrid type that was as powerful as the alternative but easier to recycle, using none of the exotic metals.  Just wish I could find the thing, ain't the internet a wonderful thing.  Find it and lose it in the same day.

Offline muttbutt

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:06 pm »
IAV 2019: Nexter tests 140 mm gun on Leclerc MBT
Samuel Cranny-Evans, London - Jane's Defence Weekly
24 January 2019

Nexter has fit a 140 mm gun on a Leclerc main battle tank (MBT) to gather data for the Franco-German Main Ground Combat System (MGCS) programme to replace it and the Leopard 2, Jane's learned at the International Armoured Vehicles (IAV) 2019 conference held in London on 21-24 January.

This is understood to be the first time that a 140 mm gun has been successfully integrated onto a 50-tonne MBT and conducted over 200 firings. It is expected to provide a 70% increase in firepower over a NATO standard 120 mm gun.

Nexter has resurrected past efforts to develop a 140 mm main weapon to establish which firepower solutions are best suited to meet the MGCS requirement.

https://www.janes.com/article/85934/iav-2019-nexter-tests-140-mm-gun-on-leclerc-mbt#.XEpzE_NUHYQ.twitter