Beyond the Spitfire - The Unseen Designs of R J Mitchell by Ralph Pegram

Can you give us a bit more info Schneiderman in which mag.s
an when your articles will be published ?
Thanks..

Once publication is confirmed I'll let you know, there are three articles in the queue. The first one is likely to be about a Supermarine project pre-Mitchell

Good Day All!

I bought the book as well thru Book Depository (excellent price and speedy delivery - I'm in the U.S.) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fascinating designs, drawings and artwork - well done!

Totally agree on Matt's artwork - would love to see more of it. Will you be using unpublished artwork in the articles?

Thanks for the time and effort to author this excellent title!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Thanks Mark
Yes the three articles I have written feature new rendered images I have produced of previously unseen or unusual British aircraft projects, from the period 1917 to 1938.

Review by David Legg in The Catalina News issue 86

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 241
Schneiderman said:
No it is a concept for a heavy bomber to spec. B.1/35 that was abandoned in favour of Vickers' Warwick. Some of the ideas were carried forward for the Type 316 bomber to spec. B12/36.

Do you have any dimensions and estimated performance figures for the Supermarine B.1/35 spec?

Given how cramped and uncomfortable things look for the gunners, got to wonder how useful the armament would have actually been and whether or not the design could have formed the basis of a fast unarmed bomber.

Unfortunately no details available. The surviving drawing is little more than a quick sketch, one of at least four alternative schemes and the others are all missing.
It is indeed unreasonably cramped for the crew, especially the gunners as you say, and would obviously have been rejected had it been tendered. The real interest lies in its similarity to Boeing projects of that time and the features that were carried forward for the Type 316. It would indeed have been interesting to see a down-scaled derivative.

Where do you get the drawings shown in the various posts from?

No single source, there's plenty of original material out there if you look

I got my copy today via Hamazon. and it is quite a tome. Thank you MR Schneiderman, Sir.

Back
Top Bottom