French Secret Projects 1: Post War Fighters OUT NOW!

Oh!! Amazon.co.jp says that I can get this copy in June 2016.
I think this book is a frightful book.

Attachments

• 51e1zVKAbBL.jpg
    51e1zVKAbBL.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,186
Didn't see that coming :eek:
Want it.

Amazon UK says 29 Apr 2016
http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Secret-Projects-Jean-Christophe-Carbonel/dp/1910809004/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453799222&sr=1-1&keywords=french+secret+projects

I want IT !

Jean-Chrisophe Carbonel
is author of fantastic book "La SNECMA, von Zborowski et le Coleoptere"
the reference book on French annular wing what let to Coleoptere

by the way
the author is forum member !

Michel Van said:
I want IT !

Jean-Chrisophe Carbonel
is author of fantastic book "La SNECMA, von Zborowski et le Coleoptere"
the reference book on French annular wing what let to Coleoptere

by the way
the author is forum member !
Oh!! He knows our needs very much.

Very good news,

I hope to get something special in it,we know already many Frensh fighter Projects
from books and reports.

Ohhh, my prayers were answered !

airman said:
interesting , so i am interested to period 1919- 1945 ! :)

My dear Airmen,you must get that book,amazing one;

L'aviation de chasse française 1918-1940

airman said:
Hesham i mean " French Secret Projects " of period 1919-1945

Yes,but it's very hard to get all Fighter Projects to this period,even Docavia publishing
and TU magazine have a little infos,for example Potez-47 was a single seat fighter project,
no more,no Info no drawing ?.

hesham said:
airman said:
Hesham i mean " French Secret Projects " of period 1919-1945

Yes,but it's very hard to get all Fighter Projects to this period,even Docavia publishing
and TU magazine have a little infos,for example Potez-47 was a single seat fighter project,
no more,no Info no drawing ?.
Yes, it's very hard , so a digital editions of books can be help the potential customers ! :-\

I found yesterday, on a french website, the cover of this book (already on SecretProjects, of course ;D, but I missed it ???).

Reading the summary it seems that the cover-plane is from Sud-Aviation or Nord-Aviation (nothing about Breguet ?) after 1960 because it is not among the projects of the Cuny's books (from 1944 to 1960) and it's not a known post-1960 Dassault.

Wait and see

Deltafan said:
I found yesterday, on a french website, the cover of this book (already on SecretProjects, of course ;D, but I missed it ???).

Reading the summary it seems that the cover-plane is from Sud-Aviation or Nord-Aviation (nothing about Breguet ?) after 1960 because it is not among the projects of the Cuny's books (from 1944 to 1960) and it's not a known post-1960 Dassault.

Wait and see
Please show me the detail of summary. ;D

blackkite said:
Deltafan said:

Wait and see
Please show me the detail of summary. ;D
It seems that my "good" English speaking (writing...) failed to choose the good word between the french "résumé" and "sommaire" among the answers of Google translation
summary : résumé, sommaire, récapitulation, relevé, addition, concentré
It's not the first, and surely not the last, time ;D

What I know is this "summary" :

Following World War II France made determined efforts to catch-up with other countries in developing high-performance aircraft and designed successful machines to fulfil the needs of the Armee de l'Air, the Marine Nationale and compete in export markets.
For the next twenty years they were the only aircraft manufacturers to investigate with equal effort, turbojet, ramjet and rocket propulsion for manned fighters, either taking advantage of German 'war-booty' technology or using national pre-war research.

A few, such as the Leduc and Griffon ramjet-powered fighters, reached prototype form, the Trident rocket-interceptor advanced to the experimental series (pre-production) stage and the Ouragan, Mystere, Super-Mystere, Mirage III and Etendard were produced in quantity and went on to win export orders.

Later, when the turbojet had won the race for the optimal propulsion system, many attempts were made to design variable-geometry aircraft (including the Mirage G series) and VTOL types (the SNECMA Coleoptere and Dassault Mirage IIIV), and there were even a few flying boat interceptor studies.

In the late sixties, in the pursuit of ever-higher speeds, Nord Aviation, Sud Aviation and primarily Avions Marcel Dassault also produced many Mach 3+ proposals.

Period drawings, promotional art, photographs of prototype aircraft, mock-ups, wind tunnel and promotional models are all combined to present, for the first time in the English language, a complete view of French military aircraft design from the Liberation of France to the late twentieth-century.

But maybe the cover-plane is not a mach 3+ proposal. Then, yes, it could be another than Nord Aviation or Sud Aviation drawing ???.

Wait and see (again)

Hello boys (and girls ?)

I don't contribute much but I thought I should at least contribute when my book is mentionned.

First of, I have not yet reviewed the layout so the May date seems more realistic to me than the April date.
The contents will be as follow
- immediate post-war designs
- early jet fighters
- early naval fighters
- rocket fighters
- ramjet fighters
- Mach2 fighters
- Dassault alone
- Mach3 fighters
- Hi-speed vtols
- VG aircraft
As for the cover, I originally wanted to have some typical French landmark visible. However it meant the aircraft was difficult to "read" against a city background so with the artist we adopted the solution you see above which means Paris is not really identifiable under the clouds.
The aircraft pictured : I felt that for many people, French aircraft = delta so I wanted to stay away from deltas. I could have selected some Coleoptère designs but these, I feared, were too weird to be representative of the subject. Tony Buttler, who had recruited me on the subject, was keen on high performance aircraft and as he did a wonderful work when reviewing my text, I thought it would be nice to have one of those high-performance machines on the cover. Another aspect was that I wanted to avoid the too obvious machines like Trident or Grognard and I prefered to stay away (again on ground of representativity) of the designs coming from designers outside the mainstay manufacturers (Hurel, Gérin, Robert, Payen, Caillette etc....) even though they had great designs.

Sincerely

JC Carbonel

From the Webmaster of the french website Aerostories, on the french website Checksix - Aviation passion (the original source is M. Carbonel) :

J'ai posé la question à JCC. Ce projet "sort des caves de chez Dassault" (sic). On le voit sur la couverture, il aurait été à voilure à géométrie variable et propulsé par deux combinés turbo-stato. Le but visé était la "classe Mach III+". Selon lui, le numéro attribué est "imbitable". :yes:
Pour le reste, il faudra attendre la sortie du bouquin, lequel est un premier volume d'une série de deux, le second étant consacré aux "bombers".

There will be a second book about the bombers.

The cover plane is a Dassault Mach 3+ design with two mixed jet-ramjet engines.

It's very interesting as this plane is not in Le Fana from April 2008 (Dassault secret projects Mach 3 - 4).

The engine could be a derivative of the Griffon II french experimental plane engine (mixed jet-ramjet engine).

Actually, I wrote all the chapters together, whatever the subject. So there are potentially two and half books : fighters, bombers and "everything else" but I cannot say what will be in Volume 2. "Bombers" implies Vautour, Mirage IV and consorts will be there....Assault transports, attack helicopters, flying saucers / tanks / jeeps / infantry etc.... I am not so sure.

JC Carbonel

Thanks again :)

Ahem...

A third (or more) book (in a possible future) about the secret projects before the end of WWII ? ::)

So far nothing has been discussed with Crecy along the lines of "French secret projects 1936-1941" if this is what you have in mind.

JC Carbonel

I thought rather 1919-1945 but if there is 1936-41 i will be very (very !) happy :D

Time will tell.

Hi JC Carbonel,

as my dear Deltafan said,the 1919-1945 has many materials to talk.

Between the wars periode could be interesting for aircraft projects indeed...
but not this Polish Kasia homebuilt..

lark said:
Between the wars periode could be interesting for aircraft projects indeed...
but not this Polish Kasia homebuilt..

Sorry I sent it wrong,I fixed it my dear Lark.

Yeah, I very much want this book and cheerfully pre-ordered. Bombers will also be a must buy. I would love to see a book of pre-war secret projects as well, as there are tantalizing hints that there was an awful lot of innovation going on that we barely know about.

JC Carbonel said:
Hello boys (and girls ?)

I don't contribute much but I thought I should at least contribute when my book is mentionned.

First of, I have not yet reviewed the layout so the May date seems more realistic to me than the April date.
The contents will be as follow
- immediate post-war designs
- early jet fighters
- early naval fighters
- rocket fighters
- ramjet fighters
- Mach2 fighters
- Dassault alone
- Mach3 fighters
- Hi-speed vtols
- VG aircraft
As for the cover, I originally wanted to have some typical French landmark visible. However it meant the aircraft was difficult to "read" against a city background so with the artist we adopted the solution you see above which means Paris is not really identifiable under the clouds.
The aircraft pictured : I felt that for many people, French aircraft = delta so I wanted to stay away from deltas. I could have selected some Coleoptère designs but these, I feared, were too weird to be representative of the subject. Tony Buttler, who had recruited me on the subject, was keen on high performance aircraft and as he did a wonderful work when reviewing my text, I thought it would be nice to have one of those high-performance machines on the cover. Another aspect was that I wanted to avoid the too obvious machines like Trident or Grognard and I prefered to stay away (again on ground of representativity) of the designs coming from designers outside the mainstay manufacturers (Hurel, Gérin, Robert, Payen, Caillette etc....) even though they had great designs.

Sincerely

JC Carbonel
Thanks a lot. Super!!

From the french website Aerostories :

Six pages from the book (available on 14.06.16) :

http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article5147.html

On these six pages, we can see at least (and I guess) :

-Wind-model of Arsenal twin ramjet project, SFECMAS 1402 Gerfaut I, SFECMAS 1405 Gerfaut II,
-Model of Payen Pa.59 Aldebaran, drawing of SFECMAS VTOL Griffon project, drawing of SIPA 700 project,
-Mirage G8-01, Makhonine Mak 101, Gerin Varivol

I hate the wait. I have wanted a book like this for years.

I have the 50th year set of Dassault aviation and have looked for something like this for a long time. But Amazon has no date on delivery

Loren said:
I hate the wait. I have wanted a book like this for years.

I have the 50th year set of Dassault aviation and have looked for something like this for a long time. But Amazon has no date on delivery

According to Amazon.co.uk due to be available on the 22nd of July.
Based on previous disappointments/ delays re: other books I'm waiting till its actualy released to order it.
Looks good, very much looking forward to it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1910809004/ref=s9_simh_gw_d4_g14_i1?pf_rd_p=10a14eba-dc73-41cf-b99d-532736921025&pf_rd_s=grid-unrec-4&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=KBKG5SJ4KS2G3P896TAJ

I must wait until this August according to Amazon co.jp. ;D

Just seen a Crecy advert in Aeroplane Monthly that states Vol.2 will be published in February 2017. Is this a bombers companion?

Back
Top Bottom