Register here

Author Topic: Raytheon air-to-air weaponry (SACM & MSDM)  (Read 10366 times)

Online bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Raytheon air-to-air weaponry (SACM & MSDM)
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 02:58:21 am »
I hope that second picture means LM hasn't given up on CUDA.  That would appear to be just what is needed.  (And maybe a 2-stage variant, the same OA length as AIM-120, for long range shots.)

They haven't. They have publicly spoken about it being an ongoing internal project. From earlier this year -

CUDA is at an earlier stage of development, but it is coming along "really well", Cahill noted. "It is defined, modelled, and we are now working hard on the prototype airframes and on the seeker concepts," he said. As the threats become more complex, Cahill added, having highly manoeuvrable hit-to-kill systems in a smaller profile will prove particularly valuable, especially at close range.

"All of our hit-to-kill developments leverage the basic PAC-3 technology and capability - that combination of seeker technology, advanced attitude control systems, and robust airframe that can turn on a dime and follow a rapidly manoeuvering target - and optimise that combination in a smaller profile," Cahill explained. "With CUDA, you're talking about a PAC-3 capability with a front-end sensor the size of a coffee cup; with MHTK it's even smaller. So we're essentially taking the PAC-3 capability and miniaturising it across all of this range of interceptors."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:51:12 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

Re: Raytheon air-to-air weaponry (SACM & MSDM)
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:06 am »
""With CUDA, you're talking about a PAC-3 capability with a front-end sensor the size of a coffee cup; with MHTK it's even smaller. So we're essentially taking the PAC-3 capability and miniaturising it across all of this range of interceptors."

Awesome.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"