1.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 2.png
    2.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.png
    3.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 130
Mooney's personal design list, not Mooney company types. It's important to explain the difference because in some cases there are two conflicting designations.

This list is correct but I have a much more detailed and comprehensive page about Mooney designations on my upcoming website... I spent literally weeks on only Mooney, but it was worth it. Plus it has Mooney's M-24 design... ;-)

My dear Skyblazer,

I found a great site spoke about Mooney,contains M-24,and a mystery designation Model 440
of 1934,sure it made for anther company,but I don't know it exactly,Model 558 for the
Culver company,also an odd designation ,CL-276 in Culver list ?.

Model M-24 Final Feasibility Study. 1985 Report No. M24-2 Tri-Wing Business Aircraft (Preliminary Design Report) prepared by Al Mooney.

Model 440 Basic Specifications. 1934 Three-page typed report for a four-place, low-wing cabin monoplane.

Model 558. 1942 April 29 Blueprint/three-view drawing.

Subseries 5. contains engineering and design studies, drawings, reports, images, and personal notes pertaining to various Culver airplane model numbers including the Cadet, Model 17, Model CC-46, CL-276, Model L, Model LARB, Model LAR-90, Model LCA/LFA, Model NRB, Model PQ/XPQ-14, and Model V.

https://www.utdallas.edu/library/specialcollections/hac/general/Mooney.html

hesham said:
an odd designation ,CL-276 in Culver list ?

Absolutely NOT odd to find CL-276 in a Mooney-related document since Al Mooney spent no less than 13 years at Lockheed, from 1955 to 1968!

Model M-24 Final Feasibility Study. 1985 Report No. M24-2 Tri-Wing Business Aircraft (Preliminary Design Report) prepared by Al Mooney.

Yep. The M-24. This was Mooney's last known numbered design, which became the Avtek Model ER-1 or Avtek 400. Funny that he gave it a number while he had only redesigned someone else's project, while other types he designed from the onset never received numbers...

Model 440 Basic Specifications. 1934 Three-page typed report for a four-place, low-wing cabin monoplane.
Model 558. 1942 April 29 Blueprint/three-view drawing.

Yes, these and a few more are still mysterious entries in Mooney's design history. Others are the Nicholas-Beazley N-B-9, the C-1 Flivver, the DuPont D-1, the E-1 Swooplet or the Advanced Light Airplane (all from the 1930s), the Model MB (1942) or the "Opus Twenty-One" (Lockheed's GL-225 series of designs).

Subseries 5. contains engineering and design studies, drawings, reports, images, and personal notes pertaining to various Culver airplane model numbers including the Cadet, Model 17, Model CC-46, CL-276, Model L, Model LARB, Model LAR-90, Model LCA/LFA, Model NRB, Model PQ/XPQ-14, and Model V.
  • "Model 17" and "Model V" was the M-17 or Culver V.
  • "Model L" was the first Cadet, the M-12.
  • "Model LCA/LFA" were also the M-12, but in production form.
  • "Model LAR-90" was the M-13, procured by the Air Force as the PQ-8 and by the Navy as the TDC-1.
  • "Model LARB" was in fact the LAR-B Lark or M-14, procured by the Air Force as the PQ-8A and the Navy also as the TDC-1.
  • "Model NRB" was in fact the NR-B or M-15, tested by the Air Force as the XPQ-9.
  • "Model PQ/XPQ-14" is well-known and was the Model NR-D or M-16.
  • CL-276 is an unidentified Lockheed project, but given the timeframe (circa 1955) it must have been one of Mooney's very first works for that firm, perhaps not even one of his own designs.
  • CC-46 is quite a mystery!

Many thanks for your explanation.

Some additions for the list:

M-20C Ranger
M-20D Master
M-20E Super 21
M-22 (originally marketed as Mustang until Cavalier Aircraft complained given their P-51 Cavalier Mustang programme)
M-22 was previously used unofficially for the twin-engine M-20 variant prototype
M-22 was also previously used for a VTOL military jet project

Source: 'A Plane ahead of its Time? The Mooney M-22, Air Britain Aviation World, 2018