"B-58 Hustler In Action" from Squadron Signal

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It's about time Squadron Signal cranked out a B-58 Hustler volume for the "IN ACTION" series!

You'd think this would have already been published back in the 70's or 80's! But it's out now, so that's a win for Hustler fanatics like me. B)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0897478029/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449521087&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=b-58+hustler+in+action

Attachments

• 51IGvQlj0BL._SY400_.jpg
    51IGvQlj0BL._SY400_.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 365
About time, but I much prefer the Don Greer paintings as covers to the photos. Pity they appear to have stopped using these. Cost I suspect.

Chris

I get the impression that Squadron Signal have cut back or even stopped providing the excellent 3 view line drawings that, for me, were the big attraction to this series. Has the edition on the Hustler (& for that matter the F-4 Phantom II) got any 3 views? Although the books are quite a reasonable price, this would be the decider.

I dunno. I'd love to know if there's a 3-view! We'll see if Santa lands here this year. Or just does a flyby and bombs me with a coal. :p

I got it. Sorry, no 3-views or any drawings at all.

PG-rated Hustler Fanatics (and who isn't?) can enjoy "The B-58 Blunder: How the U.S. Abandoned its Best Strategic Bomber. by Col. George Holt Jr ". It was in my Santa Sack this year and is a very good read.

Abraham Gubler said:
PG-rated Hustler Fanatics (and who isn't?) can enjoy "The B-58 Blunder: How the U.S. Abandoned its Best Strategic Bomber. by Col. George Holt Jr ". It was in my Santa Sack this year and is a very good read.

Wonder if a B-58 could have hauled a MOP/fuel pod to Mach 2.

sferrin said:
Wonder if a B-58 could have hauled a MOP/fuel pod to Mach 2.

The MB-1C pod with W-39 bomb and full load of fuel weighed in at ~36,500 lbs. The GBU-57 MOP is only 30,000 lbs. The MOP isn't shaped for external carriage at supersonic speeds but that is just because there is no need for it.

The only problem the B-58 would face hauling a MP is a loss of 30% of fuel. But even with internal fuel only it should be able to manage a 1,000 NM radius mission with a max power penetration phase (59,000 feet at Mach 2.0).

Of course if the B-58 was to do a B-52 and still be in service today it would be a lot easier and cheaper to re-engine in the 1980s. Four PW1120s in place of those J79s would make a big difference to already stellar performance.