The AX Competition (rivals and development of the Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II)

Hesham - judging from the "Willis" [Hawkins] and "Kelly" [Johnson] inscription, I'd say that this is a "CL-1400" or "L-1400" alternate point design for A-X from Lockheed. I should also point out that I don't have the original item, just the .jpg.

aim9xray said:
Hesham - judging from the "Willis" [Hawkins] and "Kelly" [Johnson] inscription, I'd say that this is a "CL-1400" or "L-1400" alternate point design for A-X from Lockheed. I should also point out that I don't have the original item, just the .jpg.

OK and thank you.

Hesham - judging from the "Willis" [Hawkins] and "Kelly" [Johnson] inscription, I'd say that this is a "CL-1400" or "L-1400" alternate point design for A-X from Lockheed.

Ok, looking at picture on a larger PC screen (as opposed to mobile phone screen), the picture is much more relevant - and much more intriguing aim9xray! :eek:

Regards
Pioneer

Hello,
Thanks to many of you for your compliments about my drawings.
I wanted to do them in more details and with colored plans and nice effects, but I did not have the time.
Now that this topic has emerged, my desire to depict those Lockheed AX projects is increasing. I hope to find time (and willingness) to start this. Maybe I could suggest this to Le Fana de l'Aviation!
Regards
Alain

Hi All -

Love it when we get a new donation at the Museum as you never know what you'll find. A donation yesterday had artwork for the McAir design and an interesting memo about McAir assisting, (well, at least discussing) with Boeing-Vertol on their A-X design. McAir never really put in much effort on the proposal so seeing this memo is interesting. File size is too big - will see if Overscan can add it to this thread.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMcAir A-X artwork - possibly Model 206-66.jpg
    zMcAir A-X artwork - possibly Model 206-66.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 1,751
Going by that fantastic McAir artwork, Mark, I must say I'm impressed by it's rugged workman-like landing gear!

Thank's for sharing mate!

Regards
Pioneer

Mark's memo is attached as PDF.

Note Boeing had 2 teams on this:

Boeing (Seattle) management discontinued the West Coast A-X effort using [turbo]fans on 16 July, and expressed confidence in Vertol's A-X configuration.

Attachments

• A-X Program at Boeing-Vertol Memo Jul-20-70.pdf
    548.5 KB · Views: 230
Mark Nankivil said:
McAir never really put in much effort on the proposal so seeing this memo is interesting.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

McAir put in effort on the 1967 concept formulation study contract but not for the 1970 AX RFP (probably too busy on FX).

Hello,

I'm looking for more informations on the Boeing project proposal for the AX program (the one with the YA-10). Does anybody have illustrations, 3 views plans or something else to help me? The only ilustration I have so far is the following (see in attachment).

Thanks for help.
Regards
Alain

Attachments

• Projet AX Boeing.jpg
    Projet AX Boeing.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 913
is there a book on this competition and if yes,name of book/author?
thx in advance

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Mark's memo is attached as PDF.

Note Boeing had 2 teams on this:

Boeing (Seattle) management discontinued the West Coast A-X effort using [turbo]fans on 16 July, and expressed confidence in Vertol's A-X configuration.

Wow, nice find and very interesting read thank you Mark Nankivil
Found it very interesting as to how much time and resources went into FOD and the cross-shaft redundancy (including cost estimates over the lifetime of the aircraft), and the perceived benefit of propeller over turbofan!

Fascinating

Regards
Pioneer

Good Day All -

Pretty much the Vought design in Post #78....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zVought Twin Turboprop Swept Wing-Fuel Placement.jpg
    zVought Twin Turboprop Swept Wing-Fuel Placement.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,135
  • zVought Twin Turboprop Swept Wing-Structural.jpg
    zVought Twin Turboprop Swept Wing-Structural.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,146
  • zSecoy Advanced Programs - Twin Turboprop Swept Wing Jun-5-69b.jpg
    zSecoy Advanced Programs - Twin Turboprop Swept Wing Jun-5-69b.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 1,202
  • zSecoy Advanced Programs - Twin Turboprop Swept Wing Jun-5-69a.jpg
    zSecoy Advanced Programs - Twin Turboprop Swept Wing Jun-5-69a.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,237
And another variant with a unswept wing and a slightly different engine nacelle set up. Note the substantial tailhook, not shown on the swept wing version.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zAdvanced Programs Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Jul-16-69.jpg
    zAdvanced Programs Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Jul-16-69.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 963
  • zAdvanced Programs Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Jul-22-69.jpg
    zAdvanced Programs Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Jul-22-69.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 340
  • zVought Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Production Breakdown.jpg
    zVought Twin Turboprop Unswept Wing - Production Breakdown.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 365
Via the SDASM Archives, color artwork of the 1967 General Dynamics (Convair) AX design.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zGeneral Dynamics Turboprop AX COIN Artwork.jpg
    zGeneral Dynamics Turboprop AX COIN Artwork.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 471
Yes, Sienar's version is the most believable one. Good work! I removed our efforts.

Last edited:
'After the war, Hans-Ulrich Rudel consulted Fairchild during the development of the A-10.'

(Source: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...7-stuka-not-replaced-with-a-more-powerful-one)

As a huge fan of the AX/A-10 and it's role, this is the first time I've heard of Hans-Ulrich Rudel participation in the AX program.

Regards
Pioneer
Hello,
Here are some work published in Le Fana de l'Aviation hors serie on the A-10. We decided to publish some of the contenders, it's always interesting. In order to make the plans a little bit "sexier", I had to invent some details (markings, some structures details, etc...), but I think they reflect quite well, what could have looked like those contenders. We did not represent all the competitors, they were so many, but only some of them.
Special mention, for the Boeing design, I had informations from a former Boeing researcher/engineer who helped me so that I could propose a good drawing example. There were lots of other Boeing designs, but I found rare information on them.
Regards
Alain

Attachments

• New_L1_Boeing Profil - Resize.jpg
    New_L1_Boeing Profil - Resize.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 613
  • New_L1_Convair GD Model 70 - Resize.jpg
    New_L1_Convair GD Model 70 - Resize.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 646
  • New_L1_L1400_Plan_Comparatif - Resize.jpg
    New_L1_L1400_Plan_Comparatif - Resize.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 633
  • New_L1_Projet Cessna - Resize.jpg
    New_L1_Projet Cessna - Resize.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
From L+K 18/1970,

also North American/Rockwell and Bell Textron submitted a proposals for this contest ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    152 KB · Views: 559
Good Day All -

Found these two sketches in the Robert Kemp Collection on the SDASM Flickr which seem to be AX designs.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Robert Kemp Artwork SDASM - 1.jpg
    Robert Kemp Artwork SDASM - 1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 659
  •  Robert Kemp Artwork SDASM - 2.jpg
    Robert Kemp Artwork SDASM - 2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 682
Good Day All -

Found these two sketches in the Robert Kemp Collection on the SDASM Flickr which seem to be AX designs.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Are we sure these two sketches are legit? In both the ejection seat triangles are drawn upside down.

From Air Force 1968,

I can't ID this ?.

Attachments

• 6-1968.png
    6-1968.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 308
Hello,
Here are some work published in Le Fana de l'Aviation hors serie on the A-10. We decided to publish some of the contenders, it's always interesting. In order to make the plans a little bit "sexier", I had to invent some details (markings, some structures details, etc...), but I think they reflect quite well, what could have looked like those contenders. We did not represent all the competitors, they were so many, but only some of them.
Special mention, for the Boeing design, I had informations from a former Boeing researcher/engineer who helped me so that I could propose a good drawing example. There were lots of other Boeing designs, but I found rare information on them.
Regards
Alain
Outstanding art.

Last edited by a moderator:
A beautiful model posted on FB by John Benton who at one time owned it. Posted with John's permission.
Wow.....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Grumman AX Display Model-1.jpg
    Grumman AX Display Model-1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Grumman AX Display Model-2.jpg
    Grumman AX Display Model-2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Grumman AX Display Model-3.jpg
    Grumman AX Display Model-3.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 261
A beautiful model posted on FB by John Benton who at one time owned it. Posted with John's permission.
Wow.....

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Now that's one awesome looking model!!

Thanks heaps for sharing Mark (and John Benton)

Regards
Pioneer

Brundel-Beech. I told that Frogfoot driver to not mess with the teleport prototype at Oshkosh...but nooo...

Roy D. Bridges Jr was a test pilot on the YA-9 and YA-10. His papers include materials on both.
Wow, wouldn't it be amazing to have interviewed Roy D. Bridges Jr and his unbiased opinion of both the YA-9 and YA-10!

Regards
Pioneer
Damn, should have asked him when he lectured our dynamics and orbital mechanics classes back at Purdue 20+ years ago. Honestly, we were kind of awestruck with by the general and astronaut and didn't think to ask about things that happened before we were born or while we were babies. If I'd only known...

Roy D. Bridges Jr was a test pilot on the YA-9 and YA-10. His papers include materials on both.
Wow, wouldn't it be amazing to have interviewed Roy D. Bridges Jr and his unbiased opinion of both the YA-9 and YA-10!

Regards
Pioneer
Damn, should have asked him when he lectured our dynamics and orbital mechanics classes back at Purdue 20+ years ago. Honestly, we were kind of awestruck with by the general and astronaut and didn't think to ask about things that happened before we were born or while we were babies. If I'd only known...

If we had only known then what we know. When I was at Purdue I was there for Scott Crossfield's talk in the eighties and the NASA HiMAT group. I have a lot more questions now, than I did then.

Back
Top Bottom