Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly no need to post here, what can be found in Luft'46. Of the
Henschel Hs P.122 I found another drawing in Horst Materna "Die Geschichte
der Henschel Flugzeugwerke in Schöbefeld bei Berlin 1933 - 1945", which shows
a somewhat different cockpit glazing.
About the "Me Zerstörer" finding information probably will be difficult, I'm afraid,
as it could be everything form the Me 110/210/410 to the later projects.

Attachments

• Hs-P-122.JPG
    Hs-P-122.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,174
Flitzer said:
Looking for info, sketches etc.
Many thanks
Peter

You did ask about it a couple of times on the forum already. Here for instance:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23404.msg237524.html#msg237524

I've only got this one drawing (improperly designated "Hs 122"), which you probably know already:

Attachments

• Hs.122.JPG
    Hs.122.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 829
Sorry about repeats. Its my age you know. :)

Moderator: Merge if you wish. Thanks

A couple of Henschel P 122 images I produced for Dan Sharp's recent bookazine on Luftwaffe flying wing projects.

PS. The first image has been made available as print by Aviation Graphic.

Attachments

• HsP122V1_A_web900.jpg
    HsP122V1_A_web900.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 567
  • HsP122V1_B_web900.jpg
    HsP122V1_B_web900.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 536
Foo Fighter said:
Superb production, nicely done, Sir.

Microscopic analysis of the only known authentic original drawing (which is badly faded) produced some surprising results regarding crew positions and likely cockpit arrangement. Ronnie's art is the result.

I was wondering where that cockpit configuration came from, thanks for the info. Ronnie did a great job on the artwork. Now he needs to make a model for FSX or Prepar3dv4 so I can fly it. ;)

newsdeskdan said:
Foo Fighter said:
Superb production, nicely done, Sir.

Microscopic analysis of the only known authentic original drawing (which is badly faded) produced some surprising results regarding crew positions and likely cockpit arrangement. Ronnie's art is the result.

Absolutely great! I was surprised by the cockpit too. Is anything known on the undercarriage and bombbay?

Ronnie did the analysis (and very convincing it was too), based on the drawing I sent him, so I'll leave him to respond if he wishes.

Model from Marat Nazmeev (photo Vladimir (Loki)
1:72 scratchbuilt

Attachments

• IMG_3770.JPG
    IMG_3770.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
Thanks for the feedback!

It was very tricky to make any sense of the drawing and I may well have been chasing a red herring, but it appeared there were multiple small apertures around the cockpit area, rather than large glazed areas, as often portrayed in post-war drawings such as the one at the top of this thread. This does make sense, as the P 122 was supposed to be pressured and able to operate at extreme altitude. The only things that came close in WW2 Germany were the Hs 130 and DFS 228. Neither has large glazed areas. This reminded me of today's White Knight One and Space Ship One. So I went for that bug eye cockpit glazing style, tracing any lines I could discover in the drawing.

Marat's model is very nice indeed and this cockpit arrangement might have been possible too. Perhaps with extra bracing, like on the Bell X-1. A layout similar to the B-29 is also a possibility, but I doubt the Ar 234 C style we normally see on drawings would be feasible at 40,000 ft.

About the landing gear and bomb bay... In the original drawing there seem to be traces of a bomb bay in front of and behind where the landing gear would be. But it's possible the entire bomb load was to be carried on the wings instead - no doubt some sort of smart bomb, as Henschel was a pioneer in the research on these as well as high-altitude flight. The P 122 was no doubt to combine the results of both.

My older Henschel P 122 reconstructions can be found on my website, here: http://digitalaviationart.com/skyraider3d/hsp122_2.htm
Cockpit design was an earlier interpretation, a band-aid style design by the suggestion of Thomas Hitchcock (Monogram publications) who also didn't believe in large glazed areas being possible yet in 1945. It was for Monogram that I first designed this 3D model back in 2003 and it features in Manfred Griehl's secret jet aircraft book, vol.2. In my old artwork it doesn't have any bomb bay for reasons mentioned above. Plus I could barely fit the main wheels and simply wasn't sure where to put the bomb bay next! I went with an Me 262 style gear then, but if I'd rework it today I would've gone for an airliner style with multiple smaller wheels on a single axis. Either way it would be great if a clearer wartime copy of the P 122 surfaces one day. Until then the cockpit, gear and bomb bay arrangement will remain an educated guess at best.