Ian33 said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
$550 million seems cheap, given the cost of a 787 Dreamliner these days (about $300 million). I'm guessing it won't be be B-52 sized.
Flyaway said:
I wonder if it was in light of the expected protest that they didn't even release details they were previously slated to.

Taken from NG's twitter feed it's their new bomber dedicated website.

http://www.americasnewbomber.com/

That websites a pile of steaming shite. They should be ashamed to even put their name on such drivel. What utter Moron sanctioned that?

I imagine it's designed to appeal to the social media generation, hence them plugging it on Twitter, not the average poster on this forum.

sublight is back said:
Flyaway said:
I wonder if it was in light of the expected protest that they didn't even release details they were previously slated to.

What. The. Hell.
In order to have a movement to "Save the bomber", does there not have to be some sort of movement to kill it? Does Northrop know something we don’t?

Yeah. Exactly, I'm sat staring at a steaming shite pile not really believing if this is a satirical piece.

Save the Bomber?!?

WTF?

Northrop, if that's your best PR, your aircraft must be mentally insane to have won.

sublight is back said:
Flyaway said:

What. The. Hell.
In order to have a movement to "Save the bomber", does there not have to be some sort of movement to kill it? Does Northrop know something we don’t?

It looks like the fate of the B-2 is still playing large in their collective memory.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
$550 million seems cheap, given the cost of a 787 Dreamliner these days (about $300 million). I'm guessing it won't be be B-52 sized.

I don't follow...

Attachments

• 787-10-dimensions.png
    787-10-dimensions.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 507
  • b52-dimensions.png
    b52-dimensions.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 491
marauder2048 said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

I don't follow...

In 1997, $737 million was the flyaway cost of a B-2. A B-1B was about $283 million at the time. Fast forward to now, thats (using base inflation) $1 billion and more than $400 million respectively. Basically, $550 million is half the cost of a B-2, and slightly more than a B-1.

Airplane said:
Why is too bad a decade old avionics suite won't grace the new bomber?

Because it works "now", was designed from the ground-up with middle-ware, and it's use in the LRS-B would not only decrease the development time & money for LRS-B but also decrease procurement, maintenance, and upgrade costs for both the LRS-B and F-35 programs.

It's the same reason why picking the F135 (or derivative) would be a wise choice for LRS-B.

Flyaway said:

That looks like something from a joke movie. They even have a picture of Biff Patriot on it. I couldn't stop laughing.

sublight is back said:
Flyaway said:

What. The. Hell.

It reads "keep the nation safe" & "support the new bomber".... I guess they´re organising a crowdfunding for in case the program should get curtailed again at 21 aircraft. ::)

I'd use an F135 or F414 core with the largest fan compatible with the stealth requirements, assuming subsonic speed. A greater numbr of F414 derived engines would be easier to fit in a stealth aircraft than fewer F135 derived ones.

Whats the betting on any broad design commonality with RQ-180?

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Whats the betting on any broad design commonality with RQ-180?

I think there will be some similarity, in that they're both flying wings. But I don't think the bomber will have the sailplane like aspect ratio of the RQ-180, because I think the RQ-180 is probably more geared towards loitering for long periods of time, as opposed to the bomber which will get in and get out as quickly as possible, while being subsonic.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
marauder2048 said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

I don't follow...

In 1997, $737 million was the flyaway cost of a B-2. A B-1B was about $283 million at the time. Fast forward to now, thats (using base inflation) $1 billion and more than $400 million respectively. Basically, $550 million is half the cost of a B-2, and slightly more than a B-1.

The Air Force kindly compiled this table (posted upthread) which avoids conflating or interchanging flyaway and APUC figures. I would suggest that reconstructing capabilities from APUC figures given the non-linearity of the contributions of empty weight and composites material percentages to aircraft cost (if we go by RAND and IDA formulae) is pretty tricky.

Attachments

• bomber-apuc.png
    bomber-apuc.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 487
There was, of course, this Northrop 2025 passenger / cargo plane concept. This is kind of what I expect $500 million buys you, and it would certainly replace the B-52 in bomb truck role, except isn't LRS-B meant to be more stealthy than B-2?

Attachments

• 18kwzkipx0o8ljpg.jpg
    18kwzkipx0o8ljpg.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 619125main_ngc_original_4x3_full.jpg
    619125main_ngc_original_4x3_full.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 549
And the 55% scaled test vehicle.

Attachments

• ScaledTestVehicle.jpg
    ScaledTestVehicle.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 489
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 8.34.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 8.34.36 pm.png
    741.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 8.34.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 8.34.41 pm.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 260
Superbowl Ad. Looks rather like the intakes are positioned in the same place as the above designs.

Attachments

• LRS-B.jpg
    LRS-B.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 225
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Superbowl Ad. Looks rather like the intakes are positioned in the same place as the above designs.

Looks like it has an angle on the wing sweep , mid-span.

Yes - if the Superbowl image is accurate, it likely has an X-47B type wing shape. (Popsci artist's impression attached)

Attachments

• bomber-970.jpg
    bomber-970.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 183
Boeing to decide within two weeks whether to protest contract award

WASHINGTON Oct 27 (Reuters) - Boeing defense chief Chris Chadwick told staff on Tuesday that the company would "rigorously deliberate whether to protest" a U.S. Air Force bomber contract awarded to rival Northrop Grumman Corp, saying a decision was expected within two weeks. (Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Writing by Sandra Maler; Editing by Peter Cooney)

galgot said:
It's leading edge is more complicated than heritage cranked kite designs, having some strakes in front of intake area, but I'm not sure if the whole shape was invented by McGarryBowen based on earlier placeholder renders by NGC

Attachments

• NGC LRS-B Hangar Ad reconstr.jpg
    NGC LRS-B Hangar Ad reconstr.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 104
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Yes - if the image is accurate, it likely has an X-47B type wing shape.
This is un-official image by PopSci artist

flateric said:
galgot said:
It's leading edge is more complicated than heritage cranked kite designs, having some strakes in front of intake area, but I'm not sure if the whole shape was invented by McGarryBowen based on earlier placeholder renders by NGC

Not sure about the LERX, or if its an illusion based on complex wing shape.

I think perhaps *this* was the Northrop-Grumman artwork the Superbowl image was based on?

Attachments

• NG-LRSB.jpg
    NG-LRSB.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 159
Sundog said:
is probably more geared towards loitering for long periods of time, as opposed to the bomber which will get in and get out as quickly as possible, while being subsonic.

Why not both?

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
This is what I see in the Superbowl ad image.

Yes, looks like that, even that rounded nose in plan view.
That is, if we can believe a SuperBowl add picture … :)

But then perhaps something more like this 6th gen Northrop(?) fighter which seems to have ditched pure straight planform.

Attachments

• NGfighter02.jpg
    NGfighter02.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 471
Regarding engine choice, my money is on GE, simply due to Northrop history. ADVENT was aimed at NGB applications then later scaled up to F-35 class.

Attachments

• GEEngine.jpg
    GEEngine.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 459
Not to mention that P&W have been fouling up by the numbers, and then some, of late.

Adaptive cycle can give much lower SFC (in the order of 18-35%) especially in cruise without losing high thust option by effectively varying bypass ratio. Its not necessarily about high speed, it would be valuable for a high-subsonic bomber.

GE Aviation won up to $325 million in additional funds in January 2015 to work on an adaptive cycle engine under phase three of the Versatile affordable advanced turbine engines (VAATE) program that preceded ADVENT.

GE have run demonstrator engines in phase 1 and 2, so this isn't Powerpoint engineering. This looks rather suitable for a B-3....

Attachments

• VAATE.png
    VAATE.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 463
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

The Pentagon isn't going to telegraph that far in advance it's next new bomber in a super bowl ad. However, they did telegraph the existence of a still secret aircraft with the incident in Texas 1.5 years ago. The shrouded plane in the super bowl isn't the new bomber. Also, the commercial wasn't solely heavy bombers. Most likely that aircraft (from Texas) was again being used to telegraph a message to potential adversaries.

Adaptive Versatile Engine Technology (ADVENT)
represents a truly game-changing concept whereby the efficiency of a high-bypass turbine is
being coupled with the ability to provide the dash capability of a fighter-class engine. This
concept was specifically identified by CSAF Moseley and Secretary Wynne as the propulsion
system of choice for the next generation long range strike capability.

GE currently has a full ADVENT engine in testing that is designed for a “bomber application,” says spokesman Matt Benvie. Northrop and a Boeing-Lockheed Martin team are expected to compete for the LRS-B contract that will be awarded in spring 2015.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
There was, of course, this Northrop 2025 passenger / cargo plane concept. This is kind of what I expect $500 million buys you, and it would certainly replace the B-52 in bomb truck role, except isn't LRS-B meant to be more stealthy than B-2?

With giant exposed engine faces like that it makes ya wonder why they'd even try to make the airframe stealthy. Or is that simply a non-stealthy flying wing? ???

flateric said:

I could be wrong, but i see more than a passing resemblance to that planform here:

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/USD365545

And here too:
18kyk12f0guj8jpg.jpg

Regards.

The picture shows what looks like a supersonic planform - lots of sweep. Would make for a poor loitering platform if that were indeed the shape.

Airplane said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

The Pentagon isn't going to telegraph that far in advance it's next new bomber in a super bowl ad. However, they did telegraph the existence of a still secret aircraft with the incident in Texas 1.5 years ago. The shrouded plane in the super bowl isn't the new bomber. Also, the commercial wasn't solely heavy bombers. Most likely that aircraft (from Texas) was again being used to telegraph a message to potential adversaries.

They've acknowledged that Boeing and Lockmart flew an LRSB demonstrator and I'm more inclined to think that's what we saw over Texas as it didn't have the cranked kite configuration like the vehicle in the Northrop ad.