Register here

Author Topic: Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber  (Read 292612 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber
« Reply #1485 on: November 16, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »
https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1693107/air-force-announces-bases-to-support-b-21-raider-mission/#.W-8_PiSNND0.twitter

ARLINGTON, Va. (AFNS) -- The Air Force has selected Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma, to coordinate maintenance and sustainment of the B-21 Raider and Edwards AFB, California, to lead testing and evaluation of the next generation long-range strike bomber.

The decision to use these bases marks the next milestone in the development and eventual deployment of the B-21, a long-range and highly-survivable aircraft capable of penetrating air defenses and conducting a range of critical missions. The plane is expected to be delivered in the mid-2020s.

The Air Force Sustainment Center at Tinker AFB has an Air Logistics Complex with a deep and accomplished history. In selecting Tinker AFB, Air Force leaders acknowledged that the organization has the right knowledge and expertise to support planning for the bomber's depot maintenance.

"With a talented workforce and decades of experience in aircraft maintenance, Tinker AFB is the right place for this critical mission," said Secretary of the Air Force Heather A. Wilson.

Robins AFB, Georgia, and Hill AFB, Utah, will support Tinker AFB to ensure the advanced B-21 is maintained and, when necessary, overhauled and upgraded. The workforce at the bases will also be equipped to rebuild parts, assemblies or subassemblies of the plane as well as testing and reclaiming equipment as necessary for depot activations.

Edwards AFB was selected as the location of the B-21's Combined Test Force. The base is home to the Air Force Test Center, which leads testing and evaluation for the Air Force to ensure aircraft and other equipment meet rigorous standards.

The testing program at Edwards AFB is also designed to provide timely, objective and accurate information to decision makers.

"From flight testing the X-15 to the F-117, Edwards AFB in the Mohave Desert has been at the forefront of keeping our Air Force on the cutting edge," said Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. David L. Goldfein. "Now, testing the B-21 Raider will begin another historic chapter in the base's history."
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #1486 on: December 05, 2018, 06:13:48 am »
https://special-ops.org/47348/secret-b-21-program-passes-developmental-review-on-schedule/?fbclid=IwAR0g7FkFHd-koilMEpwj77f_vRM4CslQipABFb-c24pbac6pD0iu4CC_Q20

The highly-secretive program to develop the B-21 Raider, a futuristic bomber aircraft, passed a review this week.

“Our most recent review was last week, and the B-21 is on schedule and performance,” US Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, over the weekend, Military.com reported.

“We are pleased with how that program is moving forward,” said Wilson, noting that “it’s a helpful example of how to hurry a major acquisition program well and why delegation of authority back to the services… works to accumulate high quality and to accomplish so quickly.”
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #1487 on: March 01, 2019, 03:00:35 pm »
Quote from: flateric link=topic=191.msg250746;quote=250746
Martin Baker is bidding with Mk16E as ejection seat for LRS-B, and UTC Aerospace Systems with ACES 5

Martin Baker was recently claiming that there was no competition for B-21 and it was sole-sourced to UTAS.

http://martin-baker.com/2018/11/29/letter-editor-forbes/

Though they did predict the future with their loss in the T-X competition.

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #1488 on: March 05, 2019, 01:34:35 am »
Not a surprise, policy is driving procurement at the expense of standards but is nothing new anywhere in the world.  MB results are there for all to see, apart from data/results held back by procurers. 

Offline TomS

« Reply #1489 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:48 am »
That's a doozy of a letter.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone so pointedly dismantle one of Loren Thompson's articles before.  This is a very clear demonstration of the fact that Thompson is not primarily a defense analyst, he's primarily a defense marketer.  His opinion depends on who is writing the checks.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: March 05, 2019, 12:34:15 pm »
Dismantled? that was more like vivisection. Ouch.
But seriously, it's pretty bad for an analyst to claim, without any substantiation, that there is no competition because the other company can't meet the requirements. Never mind that the other company has been way more successful and builds the most advanced seat ever.
I didn't like Loren Thompson before, I respect his writings even less now.   

His opinion depends on who is writing the checks.

This.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #1491 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »
Never mind that the other company has been way more successful and builds the most advanced seat ever.

Hard to reconcile that with the fact that MB's losing entry in the T-X competition included a STAPAC knockoff.
And MB's seat was not able to meet the F-35 spec without help.

Offline Foo Fighter

« Reply #1492 on: March 05, 2019, 11:34:16 pm »
Never mind that the other company has been way more successful and builds the most advanced seat ever.

Hard to reconcile that with the fact that MB's losing entry in the T-X competition included a STAPAC knockoff.
And MB's seat was not able to meet the F-35 spec without help.

Is there proof of this that cannot be dismissed with the clarification letter from MB?

Sour grapes from a US manufacturer that has consistently failed.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #1493 on: March 06, 2019, 07:29:19 am »
If MB is so bad, have an open competition and they will lose. End of story.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #1494 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:02 am »

Is there proof of this that cannot be dismissed with the clarification letter from MB?

Sour grapes from a US manufacturer that has consistently failed.

If MB is so bad, have an open competition and they will lose. End of story.

Martin-Baker lost the open competition for T-X.  End of story.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #1495 on: March 06, 2019, 01:06:56 pm »
Because a second class submission never got chosen for production for political or industrial base considerations.  ;D
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #1496 on: March 06, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »
Because a second class submission never got chosen for production for political or industrial base considerations.  ;D

If those were actual considerations for T-X then Martin-Baker would have claimed as much in their letter.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #1497 on: March 06, 2019, 10:34:45 pm »

If those were actual considerations for T-X then Martin-Baker would have claimed as much in their letter.

Not sure if serious.....

The letter predates the contract award to UTC.

And regardless, noone's going to say "We awarded the contract to a US company cos we want to Make America(n ejector seats) Great Again not on merit".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:36:24 pm by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Foo Fighter

« Reply #1498 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:39 am »
Regardless of nationality or other considerations, MB have a better record, full stop.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #1499 on: March 07, 2019, 02:56:35 am »
Quote from: flateric link=topic=191.msg250746;quote=250746
Martin Baker is bidding with Mk16E as ejection seat for LRS-B, and UTC Aerospace Systems with ACES 5

Martin Baker was recently claiming that there was no competition for B-21 and it was sole-sourced to UTAS.

http://martin-baker.com/2018/11/29/letter-editor-forbes/

Though they did predict the future with their loss in the T-X competition.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2015-06-15/martin-baker-saving-lives-family-way
Recently, both teams competing for the secret U.S. Long-Range Strike Bomber (LRS-B) requirement have proposed Martin-Baker seats.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works