Register here

Author Topic: BAE Systems Submarine Concept  (Read 45418 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: BAE Systems Submarine Concept
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »
Apparently some members of Labour, including the shadow defence secretary Emily Thornberry, seem to be under the impression that the Royal Navy has the capability to rearm SSBNs at sea.

In addition, the right honourable shadow defence secretary is apparently in favour of the so-called “Japanese option” i.e. retaining the capacity to build nuclear weapons without actually possessing them.

Problem with the "Japanese Option" is the other guy might not give you five years to get your crap together.  And let's face it, given the exorbitant cost in time and money the latest B61 variant is imposing, starting from scratch is going to be spendy. 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 03:56:31 pm »
Apparently some members of Labour, including the shadow defence secretary Emily Thornberry, seem to be under the impression that the Royal Navy has the capability to rearm SSBNs at sea.

In addition, the right honourable shadow defence secretary is apparently in favour of the so-called “Japanese option” i.e. retaining the capacity to build nuclear weapons without actually possessing them.

Problem with the "Japanese Option" is the other guy might not give you five years to get your crap together.  And let's face it, given the exorbitant cost in time and money the latest B61 variant is imposing, starting from scratch is going to be spendy.

I thought the Japanese had intimated that they possessed them just in a disassembled state? They are also party to another Mutual Defense treaty with secret annexes so who knows...

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 07:14:10 am »

ORIGINAL CAPTION: Workers stand pose for a photo in the four-tube “quad-pack” built for the U.S. Ohio Replacement-class and U.K. Successor-class. General Dynamics Electric Boat Photo via US Navy

https://news.usni.org/2016/04/22/report-new-contracting-authority-could-help-navy-save-25-on-ssbn-missile-tubes
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.

Offline JohnR

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »
What is the idea behind "reverse" angle on the sail of the Borei class boats?  Is it anything to do with ice breaking?

Online Moose

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 08:19:47 am »
I don't think anyone sane would intentionally use a boomber's sail to break ice horizontally, and I don't believe that configuration would make it easier to surface vertically through the ice. So I'm going to guess it's done in an attempt to reduce drag of the otherwise massive sail.

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2016, 05:55:01 am »
I don't think anyone sane would intentionally use a boomber's sail to break ice horizontally, and I don't believe that configuration would make it easier to surface vertically through the ice. So I'm going to guess it's done in an attempt to reduce drag of the otherwise massive sail.

Might be that the Russians know a thing or two about ice-breaking that most other Navies don't.  Remember they have to be able to often penetrate light pack ice when entering and leaving harbour.

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 04:41:09 am »
Rest assured it has nothing to do with icebreaking. The leading edge of the sail is fitted with a sonardome. Transducing materials used in sonardomes tend to be a very bad choice for something to bash ice with. Also the way icebreakers with angled stems work is to use said angle to lift the mass of the bow above the ice where gravity pulls it down to 'break' the ice. The forward edge of the sail lacks any mass above it to achieve this effect. Far more effective in breaking ice from a submarine is to use the upwards force of the boat's positive buoyancy to break the ice from below. Mechanics is mechanics even in Glorious Worker's Paradise of Soviet Russia.
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline TomS

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 04:51:19 am »
For once, Abraham and I agree.  There does seem to be a sonar (possibly under-ice sonar) in the sail.  But there might be something else too. I've noticed that pretty much every published photo of the Borei class that shows the sub from the front has a flag or crest hanging across the upper leading edge of the sail.  It's almost like they have an aperture there that they want to conceal.

Offline gral_rj

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:45 pm »
It may have an aperture that they want to conceal, but that part of a sail is commonly used for putting crests; as far as I can remember, Delta SSBNs and Oscar SSGNs put a crest on the same place.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.

Offline covert_shores

• Research + illustration
    • COVERT SHORES
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 03:10:17 pm »
Added an article on SSN(R), aka MUFC...
http://www.hisutton.com/Royal_Navy_Submarine_SSN-R.html

The MoD did an industry day on it in October so hopefully still progressing, but seems it has already slipped two years....
COVERT SHORES: www.hisutton.com