Register here

Author Topic: BAE Systems Submarine Concept  (Read 44869 times)

Offline GTX

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
BAE Systems Submarine Concept
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:48:23 pm »
Hi folks,

At this year's DSEi Exhibition, BAE Systems had this advanced submarine concept on display - note the fully ducted propulsion (Sorry for the poor image quality - the photos were taken using my phone):

Regards,

Greg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:06:55 pm by flateric »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
Re: BAE Systems Submarine Concept
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 03:08:22 pm »
Philip Stark style! Cool! Was Concept 35 there as well?

(Picture: Bill Sweetman for DTI)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:21:07 pm by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Woody

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Passionate about the advancement of technology
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ian_francis_wood/
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:31:58 am »
Cool looking design GTX. Can you explain where the duct intakes are or exhausts for that matter, I'm presuming the exhausts are the two flat areas at the stern. Does it use twin ducted propellers? If so how deep inside? Presumably the nozzles are stearable horizontally as I can't see any rudders.
The fore planes mounted low on the hull would present some interesting problems when coming along side as they couldn't easily fold upwards and downwards would increase draft. I wonder what the hydrodynamic advantages are.

Greg, your picture looks very similar apart from the stern. Was this also a BAE concept from the same exhibition? Again I'm afraid I can't work out what's going on with propellers from the picture.

Sorry, I've got Australia Vodafone wireless at the mo and they seem to down sample all the images as they send them.

Cheers, Woody

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »
Was Concept 35 there as well?

Yes it was - unfortunately my pic was too blury to post here.

Regards,

Greg

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »
ool looking design GTX. Can you explain where the duct intakes are or exhausts for that matter, I'm presuming the exhausts are the two flat areas at the stern. Does it use twin ducted propellers? If so how deep inside? Presumably the nozzles are stearable horizontally as I can't see any rudders.
The fore planes mounted low on the hull would present some interesting problems when coming along side as they couldn't easily fold upwards and downwards would increase draft. I wonder what the hydrodynamic advantages are.

Woody,

the water intakes are just in front of the rear fins (look closely and you will see dark patches), whilst the exhausts are straight out the back.  As for exact propulsion details, I can't say.

Was this also a BAE concept from the same exhibition? Again I'm afraid I can't work out what's going on with propellers from the picture.

Yes this concept was also there - it basically has 5 (I think) podded propulsors.

Regards,

Greg

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:38:17 pm »
DSEi -- New Navy Concepts from BAE
http://tinyurl.com/2z69gb

Posted by Bill Sweetman at 9/12/2007 6:09 AM

BAE Systems has unveiled a design for what could be called a "micro-carrier" - an 8000 ton ship based on a Type 45 destroyer hull and designed to support a group of unmanned air, surface and underwater vehicles. The so-called UXV is seen as a member of a future fleet of advanced ships.

The unique flight-deck design leaves the bow clear for missile launch tubes and guns while supporting a high sortie rate for different UAV types. Surface vessels can be deployed from a rear ramp.

Also on show is an advanced nuclear submarine concept with four pumpjet propulsors arrayed around the stern. Similar in some ways to the Defense Advanced Research Agency's Tango Bravo project, BAE's Concept 35 submarine is based on technologies such as electric drive.

A BAE engineer points out that splitting the power among four small, high-RPM propulsors and using electric drive eliminates heavy, low-speed gearing and adds redundancy to the design.

A closer-term project on display at DSEi is aimed at adding air-independent propulsion (AIP) to new-build or existing diesel-electric submarines (SSKs). BAE Systems is looking at the design of a plug-type module containing an AIP power system. Rather than using fuel cells, though, the BAE module uses diesel generators, fed with a mixture of liquid oxygen (the large red tank) and liquid argon (the smaller yellow tanks).

Active vibration damping and anti-noise measures would cut noise levels to the equivalent of a submarine running on batteries, BAE says, and the company believes that its approach would be much less costly than a fuel cell AIP system.

AVIATION WEEK (c) MCGH 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the deep: successor submarine concepts surface
http://www.janes.com/events/exhibitions/dsei2007/sections/daily/day3/from-the-deep-successor-s.shtml

Richard Scott

Wednesday, 12 September, 2007

From the deep: successor submarine concepts surface

BAE Systems has lifted the veil on hitherto unseen submarine concept studies undertaken by the company to help inform its future work on a successor deterrent submarine class for the UK Royal Navy.

The results are now being taken forward by the company’s Submarine Solutions business as part of a wider package of future submarine concept engineering studies being performed by a UK industry ‘rainbow’ team in conjunction with the Ministry of Defence. “Our aim was to ‘flex’ the brains of a small design team to assess the art of the possible and see what sort of solutions could be applicable to a submarine entering service in the timeframe anticipated for the successor boats,” a BAE Systems source told the DSEi Show Daily. “We undertook a wide range of studies to examine the key design drivers, and also explore ways to make a future submarine more affordable.” The two concepts exhibit markedly different approaches.

The so-called Concept 35 (above right) is described as a “reasonably conservative” evolution of the previous Vanguard design. However, it introduces shaftless electric drive and improvements to overcome equipment obsolescence (including extensive use of military offthe- shelf and commercial off-the-shelf equipment).

The radical Advanced Hull Form (top left) concept represents a more ambitious approach. Its distinctive design, which arose from an effort to relocate much equipment outside the pressure hull, could offer manoeuvrability and stability benefits, according to BAE. The UK government plans to replace the Royal Navy’s four Vanguard class ballistic missile submarines from 2024 as part of plans to renew the Trident deterrent. The Future Submarines Integrated Project Team was established earlier this year in the MoD’s Defence Equipment and Support Organisation to manage the replacement deterrent.

© 2007 Jane's Information Group
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:20:44 pm by flateric »
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »
This one from 2001 advertised at the Royal NAVY site was much weirder...

"The Royal Navy is continually looking at ways to improve its technology. This Concept (sic!) by BAE systems is just one that the navy is looking into.

Directional Waterjet Propulsion Pods
Ultra-Quiet directable podded water jet propulsion units rotate at the root to provide vectored directional thrust and unparalled high/low speed manoeuvrability in conjunction with single lower rudder for stability and steering.

Sensor Arrays
Ultra-Sophisticated all-round sonar coverage achieved through platypus bow sonar and after fin arrays"

Sea Quest were still popular TV-show that year, as I see...)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:59:57 pm by flateric »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:20 pm »
Two more Concept 35 and AHC pics from David McArthur aka DMc(http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/dmcarthur/)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:16:06 pm by flateric »

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 08:21:17 am »
Dear Gentlemen,

Many thanks for that pics!. I already knew that Seaquest pics from Flateric but the newest concepts are new for me.
I'll try to find a similar Swedish study that I have from my magazine collection.

It shapes (specially the Seaquest one) seem more reminiscent from coastal fishes than deep blue sea species as it was seen until the Cold War end. Are that litoral submarines?

Offline amsci99

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:55:00 am »
Dear GTX and flateric.

Thanks for the pics, the 'Advamced Hull Form' is definitely something refreshing. I remember sometime ago at DSEI 2005 that there was a gas turbine powered submarine. Anyone know anything more about this?

Offline JFC Fuller

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:25:14 am »
Dear GTX and flateric.

Thanks for the pics, the 'Advamced Hull Form' is definitely something refreshing. I remember sometime ago at DSEI 2005 that there was a gas turbine powered submarine. Anyone know anything more about this?

I think that this is what you are thinking about.

http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/BMT/bmt_media/bmt_media/33/2007-09-26Concept-SSGTDataSheet.pdf

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 11:56:44 pm »
One more Concept 35 pic from www.warships1discussionboards.yuku.com

Offline Firefly 2

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 09:10:08 am »
The hull design and sail remaind me of russian subs, but I'm afraid that while 5 propulsors will give silent operation a boost, and allow for a better acceleration, it's also complicated enough to go wrong as a system.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 10:58:10 am »
have found cool 2001 concept video

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:16 am »
Don't disturb the captain, when he is reading the Moby Dick :-DD Well, I am happy that the producers still have the sense of humor  :)

Bizarre aviation expert.