Luftwaffe: Secret Jets of the Third Reich

newsdeskdan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Might be of some small interest to some here:

001_mbz_Luftwaffesecretjets.jpeg

Looks good. Quality design and interesting content. I think though that the title is highly deceitful as it conveys the impression that Germany had jet programs under secret development while in fact the jet happened late in the war and only a handful of well-documented projects were given the go-ahead. I guess calling the book "Secret projects..." might have represented some copyright infringement!

I like hypothetical combat art like that on the cover. Triebflugels attacking B-35s? Why not!

Skyblazer said:
Looks good. Quality design and interesting content. I think though that the title is highly deceitful as it conveys the impression that Germany had jet programs under secret development while in fact the jet happened late in the war and only a handful of well-documented projects were given the go-ahead. I guess calling the book "Secret projects..." might have represented some copyright infringement!
decietful is a bit strong. Coming up with book titled is damn hard and has to follow certain conventions of hyperbole, positivity and generalization if it's going to sell at all. Exceptions aside, books with 'honest' descriptive titles don't even get found by their target audience. Rant over.

Looks like a great book, nicely edited. Lovely artworks.

Don't get me wrong. I know the title is not necessarily the result of the author's choice, and also that publishers like something catchy and sexy... I suppose my choice of the word "deceitful" was too strong indeed, "misleading" being the word I was really after (and this is where my being a non-native speaker shows!).

All in all, as I said, the book looks absolutely great and a bargain for the price (magazine format, apparently). As I also said, the layout and subject choice are very good, and the illustrations are really high quality too, so I'm really looking forward to it!!!

I think that "bookazine" is a dumb name. I prefer the equivalent "magbook".

gatoraptor said:

Except it sounds a lot like "Macbook"...

Skyblazer said:
Except it sounds a lot like "Macbook"...
That's enough to get you into trouble - remember eiPott?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/20/no-comment-apple-germany-says-nicht-to-eipott/

Really nice , me like ;) .
Where's is going to be available? Because in Amazon I just can see the kindle edition.

gatoraptor said:
Well, there's always the term "mook" that the Japanese use.

elmayerle said:
Well, there's always the term "mook" that the Japanese use.

Agreed. And it's undoubtedly the best of the lot, though I doubt it could easily be introduced in the English language.

Alcides said:
Where's is going to be available? Because in Amazon I just can see the kindle edition.

You can get the proper papery one from www.classicmagazines.co.uk

It'll also be in WHSmith if you happen to be in the UK.

newsdeskdan said:
Alcides said:

You can get the proper papery one from www.classicmagazines.co.uk

It'll also be in WHSmith if you happen to be in the UK.

Thanks I was just going to ask if it was out in the UK as I couldn't see it on Amazon.

I`ve just ordered it, along with Dan`s publication on the Fw190.

Wurger said:
I`ve just ordered it, along with Dan`s publication on the Fw190.

Thanks Wurger - I hope they live up to expectations.

WOW!!!! When's that hitting American shelves!? I'm still working on the Bombcat! special from AFs Monthly.

XP67_Moonbat said:
WOW!!!! When's that hitting American shelves!? I'm still working on the Bombcat! special from AFs Monthly.

It's a UK product but it should be stocked in America - probably in early September?

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5475/luftwaffe-secret-jets-of-the-third-reich-bookazine-by-dan-sharp

You can buy a digital copy for £3.99 here though I just tried and it didn't seem to work just yet. At least, it took my money but I don't seem to have access to the issue yet. It did say "coming soon".

I have seen a copy of the "bookazine", its a really impressive work. Great art by two forum members, and lots of detailed research from primary sources. Dan has a good sceptical attitude to his subject and brings much-need rigour to the Germen Secret Projects genre.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5475/luftwaffe-secret-jets-of-the-third-reich-bookazine-by-dan-sharp

You can buy a digital copy for £3.99 here though I just tried and it didn't seem to work just yet. At least, it took my money but I don't seem to have access to the issue yet. It did say "coming soon".

I have seen a copy of the "bookazine", its a really impressive work. Great art by two forum members, and lots of detailed research from primary sources. Dan has a good sceptical attitude to his subject and brings much-need rigour to the Germen Secret Projects genre.

Thanks for the kind words Paul. Hard copies finally arrived in quantity today so it should be available, well, now-ish.

Thought I should also mention that our forum buddy Hamza has a stupendous rendering of the Lippisch DM-1 P.13a delta canard jet published in that book, his first ever "official" publication. Congrats to him!!

Skyblazer said:
Thought I should also mention that our forum buddy Hamza has a stupendous rendering of the Lippisch DM-1 delta canard jet published in that book, his first ever "official" publication. Congrats to him!!

DM-1? That there's a P.13!

newsdeskdan said:
Skyblazer said:
Thought I should also mention that our forum buddy Hamza has a stupendous rendering of the Lippisch DM-1 delta canard jet published in that book, his first ever "official" publication. Congrats to him!!

DM-1? That there's a P.13!

Sorry guys... a P.13a it is indeed! I realized my mistake when the computer was already off... Figured I'd fix it soonest today, but should have known someone was going to figure out my mistake soon enough!!! Here's the picture, by the way.

Attachments

• 11889477_1007871132580120_8387029494994568605_n.jpg
    11889477_1007871132580120_8387029494994568605_n.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 411
"Probably gonna be a while before it hits West Texas."

Oh, I don't know. I was in Farmington, NM twenty-odd years ago and they had the latest Viz, so can't be that slow for British mags/bookazines/mooks/bagazines. What the New Mexicans made of Biffa Bacon I don't know.

Chris

CJGibson said:
"Probably gonna be a while before it hits West Texas."

Oh, I don't know. I was in Farmington, NM twenty-odd years ago and they had the latest Viz, so can't be that slow for British mags/bookazines/mooks/bagazines. What the New Mexicans made of Biffa Bacon I don't know.

Chris

I'm told Luftwaffe: Secret Jets will be sold via Barnes & Noble in the US and a large consignment has been shipped. But when I say shipped, I mean they're literally on board a ship. Should be Stateside in about a month. Maybe Viz goes via airmail?

CAUTION!
I have tried to buy the online magazine and I have found the ugly surprise that the subscription starts with the next available issue.

newsdeskdan said:
I'm told Luftwaffe: Secret Jets will be sold via Barnes & Noble in the US and a large consignment has been shipped. But when I say shipped, I mean they're literally on board a ship. Should be Stateside in about a month. Maybe Viz goes via airmail?
I'll be looking for it. We've got one Barnes & Noble left in Fort Worth and one in Arlington, so I have a chance of catching it.

Justo Miranda said:
CAUTION!
Classic Magazine has charged my VISA card and I have no access to the magazine !!!!

You and me both. I have logged a case with them about it.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Justo Miranda said:
CAUTION!
Classic Magazine has charged my VISA card and I have no access to the magazine !!!!

You and me both. I have logged a case with them about it.

I'm told there was a problem with PocketMags changing their urls but this has now been fixed. Apparently if you click https://www.pocketmags.com/ExternalPurchases/Index.aspx?shid=24
you get a 'many thanks for your purchase' screen. Then enter your email etc. and it should work.