Aviation, Imagination of the Future from the Past

original.jpg

Skyport One: The Airport of the Future from 1957 (Paleofuture/Gizmodo)​

This is Skyport One, a sketch of an airport conceived by James Dartford for the Glass Age Development Committee. Although designed for the London of 2000 A.D., its designer believes it could be built today. It would be located in St. George's Circus, not far from Waterloo Station and would be 500 feet tall. Planes and heli-buses would use the platform atop the three tall, glass-enclosed elevator shafts through which passengers and crew members would be carried from street level. Other features would be a sky-top restaurant with a far-reaching view of the city. The building below would house offices, hotels and garages.

http://gizmodo.com/12-radical-unbuilt-airport-designs-from-100-years-of-a-1472198637/@mattnovak

1934: An Airport Above the Thames

By the 1930s, air travel was considered the glamorous future of travel—and cities were looking for ways to accommodate the rapid influx of planes. This drawing appeared in a 1934 issue of Popular Science, proposing an airport on the Thames—with an entrance into Westminster Palace.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Hi,

I don't know what was this !.

Attachments

• Download_-_The_Johannesbu000001.jpg
    Download_-_The_Johannesbu000001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 86
Grey Havoc said:
It would be located in St. George's Circus, not far from Waterloo Station and would be 500 feet tall. Planes and heli-buses would use the platform atop the three tall, glass-enclosed elevator shafts...[/c]​

Ummm... *why??* I can see the value in putting a landing platform on top of a building. I can see some sense it putting a landing platform well *above* a building. But *hundreds* of feet??​

Orionblamblam said:
...I can see the value in putting a landing platform
on top of a building. I can see some sense it putting a landing platform well *above* a building. But *hundreds* of feet??

Perhaps the landing platform is just a kind of dual use and the planned building should be built up to that
height anyway ?
Building the highest skyscraper seem to be a sport of architects, with or more often without a landing platform.

_Del_ said:
Noise abatement?
Jemiba said:
Orionblamblam said:
...I can see the value in putting a landing platform
on top of a building. I can see some sense it putting a landing platform well *above* a building. But *hundreds* of feet??

Perhaps the landing platform is just a kind of dual use and the planned building should be built up to that
height anyway ?
Building the highest skyscraper seem to be a sport of architects, with or more often without a landing platform.

Traffic separation is likely to have been part of it. Remember this was the age when flying cars seemed to be just around the corner. Keeping the heli-buses and other 'heavy' VTOLs away from the main body of the building with it's open garage wing for flying cars would have seemed a logical precaution (ground vehicles would have used the underground garage levels).

skyscraper roof winds can be quite bad and turbulent, NASA has done quite a lot of wind tunnel tests with them. Maybe this would help if some of the wind passed beneath the structure.

I forgot another likely reason; Via NBC News:

BbS6wP-CIAAoTmq.jpg:large

Attachments

• BbS6wP-CIAAoTmq.jpg
    BbS6wP-CIAAoTmq.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 755
I'm pretty sure we did, but where exactly escapes me at the moment. Did you check this very topic before posting?

Stargazer2006 said:
I'm pretty sure we did, but where exactly escapes me at the moment. Did you check this very topic before posting?

Hi Stargazer,

I used the search,specially about the name of the site,but I didn't find anything.

hesham said:
I used the search,specially about the name of the site,but I didn't find anything.

Strange. But then it's not the first time it's happened. Perhaps also I meant to share it but didn't in the end?

It's a painting by Murray Urquhart taken from Claude Grahame-White and Harry Harper's 1914 book The Aeroplane. The caption going with it is great!

By the use of such a machine as this, twenty years hence, we shall be able to spend a week-end in New York, as we do now in Paris or Scotland. Flying at immense heights, and at speeds of 200 miles an hour, these huge aircraft carrying hundreds of passengers in vibrationless luxury will pass from London to New York in less than twenty hours.

Diverting to a topical issue for a moment, via The Drudge Report: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2014/01/07/time-magazine-swings-both-ways/

[Fleeing to safety of, hopefully, deep enough foxhole]

Mea Culpa.

I don't think this has shown up on the forum before:

4050603368_0f1e5d4bff_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/4050603368/​

Boeing 2707 SST proposal c. 1968 [airport]​

On the motives of a real project OKPB by Grokhovski (1934-35)

Attachments

• G-stratoplan I.jpg
    G-stratoplan I.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi,

I confess with my dear Stargazer's advice about this aircraft,so I put it in right
place.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi,

From Modern Mechanix magazine,here is a very huge ocean airliner and
a modern autogyro.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 480
  • xlg_cover.jpg
    xlg_cover.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 541
Hi,

here is from Aerophile January 1947,an imagination of V-2 missile,conversion into
a rocket space craft.

Attachments

• V-2.JPG
    V-2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 153
Hi,

from Aerophile magazine,here is a strange launch system and future helicopter.

Attachments

• future helicopter.JPG
    future helicopter.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 169
The "future helicopter" is meant only as a humorous cartoon and not a project of any kind:

L.S.S.M.A.A.R. (League for Slow-Speed and Medium Altitude Aerial Rambling). We wait for the sponsor who will equip us with the aerogyrocar: as a lifelong member I'm ready for takeoff.

The "aerogyrocar" goes by the name "Le Rat d'Art", which literally translates as the "art rat" but is also a pun on the word "radar" (same pronunciation).

Hi,

the future twin fuselage transatlantic flying boat.

Aerophile

Attachments

• FUTURE.JPG
    FUTURE.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi,

here is an imagination for six engined stratosphere aircraft.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 63
hesham said:

Please provide the reference for the item so other researchers can trace the corresponding article. Thanks.

Stargazer2006 said:
hesham said:

Please provide the reference for the item so other researchers can trace the corresponding article. Thanks.

OK Stargazer,

but the problem is,I found it from two days,between Aerophile of 1940 up to 1945,now I can't
remember in which year or the issue,that will take sometimes.

hesham said:
but the problem is,I found it from two days,between Aerophile of 1940 up to 1945,now I can't
remember in which year or the issue,that will take sometimes.

L'aérophile, October 1942, p.238

Type part of a sentence in brackets in the search box (I typed "scaphandre stratosphérique") and it will narrow the results.

Hi,

I don't know if that was a real fighter design or just a hypothetical aircraft,
it was from Louis Petit,and I don't know if that was a designer or author ?.

Ailes 1940

Attachments

• Louis Petit  1.JPG
    Louis Petit 1.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Louis Petit  2.JPG
    Louis Petit 2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 86
hesham said:
Hi,

I don't know if that was a real fighter design or just a hypothetical aircraft,
it was from Louis Petit,and I don't know if that was a designer or author ?.

Ailes 1940

I discover,he was an author only,not designer.

Louis Petit was a regular aviation illustrator at the time, but certainly not an engineer. This is pure fantasy artwork.

Stargazer2006 said:
Louis Petit was a regular aviation illustrator at the time, but certainly not an engineer. This is pure fantasy artwork.

OK Stargazer.

hesham said:
here is imagine for aircraft from Lucien Cave,I think it was just a dream,isn't it ?.

I believe that the mention "Salon des Humoristes" ought to be enough to answer this question... ;)