Forthcoming book: Projects of the Skunk Works: 75th Anniversary

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
I've just received a contract to produce a new book entitled LOCKHEED MARTIN SKUNK WORKS: 75th Anniversary. My deadline is 1 March 2016. If anyone wishes to participate, please contact me via email: stevepace43@gmail.com

Giuseppe De Chiara will be providing three-views, Jozef Gatial and Landino Luca will be providing illustrations.

-SP

Re: Forthcoming book: LOCKHEED MARTIN SKUNK WORKS: 75th Anniversary

Great News my dear Steve,wish to you good luck.

Steve Pace said:
I've just received a contract to produce a new book entitled LOCKHEED MARTIN SKUNK WORKS: 75th Anniversary. My deadline is 1 March 2016. If anyone wishes to participate, please contact me via email: stevepace43@gmail.com

Giuseppe De Chiara will be providing three-views, Landino Luca will be providing illustrations.

-SP

What will the format be? Will it be similar to Jay Miller's "Skunk Works", with tons of info and footnotes, or more of a mainstream / coffee table type book?

sferrin said:
Steve Pace said:

Giuseppe De Chiara will be providing three-views, Landino Luca will be providing illustrations.

-SP

What will the format be? Will it be similar to Jay Miller's "Skunk Works", with tons of info and footnotes, or more of a mainstream / coffee table type book?
I'll leave that up to the publisher - ZENITH BOOKS, but it requires 150,000 words of text and 500 captioned photographs.

hesham said:
Great News my dear Steve,wish to you good luck.
Thanks so much, hesham! -SP

Good luck on this new book! Hope you can find enough new material to include as previous books on the subject have already said quite a bit.

Skyblazer said:
Good luck on this new book! Hope you can find enough new material to include as previous books on the subject have already said quite a bit.
Thank you! Yeah, me too - I produced one back in '92 for 50th Anniversary. A lot has changed since then. -SP

This sounds very exciting, Steve: with so interesting a topic, and your knowledge, and the incredible artwork of Giuseppe De Chiara, it will be irresistible.

Dear Steve, great news and good luck! :)

Will you be able or allowed to visit Lockheed Martin Skunk Works factory and their archive to gain new unseen materiel? ;) :D

foiling said:
This sounds very exciting, Steve: with so interesting a topic, and your knowledge, and the incredible artwork of Giuseppe De Chiara, it will be irresistible.

Your comment is unreadable. Copy-pasting from other software sometimes brings unpleasant results such as this.

If you tick the "Return to this topic" option underneath the text editor, you will automatically go to what you just posted from now on, and see for yourself how it came out.

fightingirish said:

Will you be able or allowed to visit Lockheed Martin Skunk Works factory and their archive to gain new unseen materiel? ;) :D
Thanks so much - I'm working on that ;) -SP

Steve Pace said:
fightingirish said:

If only new Suntan material would emerge... Oh, and CSIRS as well (though I don't raise my hopes too high on this one).

Skyblazer said:
Steve Pace said:
fightingirish said:

If only new Suntan material would emerge... Oh, and CSIRS as well (though I don't raise my hopes too high on this one).
I was told by an early Black Jet driver (in a phone conversation) that what became the F-117 was the original CSIRS aircraft but that its Recce mission was abandoned. He was Lt. Gen. David J. "Marshall" McCloud who flew numerous classified aircraft at Area 51. -SP

Clarification of that page in the pulped Putnam would be useful.

Chris

Steve Pace said:
Skyblazer said:
I was told by an early Black Jet driver (in a phone conversation) that what became the F-117 was the original CSIRS aircraft but that its Recce mission was abandoned. He was Lt. Gen. David J. "Marshall" McCloud who flew numerous classified aircraft at Area 51. -SP

Thanks Steve. Someone else suggested exactly that in a recent CSIRS discussion on the forum, but what was missing was a circumstantial confirmation of that fact. Now thanks to this testimony we have a definite source for it.

More stuff on that big Mach 5 methane powered beast. And the Mach 5 carrier based strike aircraft. In any case II'll be buying a copy :)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4459

Attachments

• Mach 5 Methane.jpg
    Mach 5 Methane.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 530
  • Lockheed Endothermic Fuel small.jpg
    Lockheed Endothermic Fuel small.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 531

Fantastic news, best of luck. Sounds gorgeous already.

Maybe you could find out about this external covering tested on the F-117 under the Senior Spud program and add it to the book. reflects light in a strange way. Regards Empire

Attachments

• 1024px-Lockheed_F-117A_Nighthawk_79-7084.jpg
    1024px-Lockheed_F-117A_Nighthawk_79-7084.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 528

Article from this month's Air Force Magazine

http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2015/June%202015/Secret-Solutions-From-the-Desert.aspx

Any thoughts about including the Senior Prom program? The competitor to the Northrop B-2.

FighterJock said:
Any thoughts about including the Senior Prom program? The competitor to the Northrop B-2.
Yes, I'm including Senior Peg (Prom?). -SP

There's also Lockheed's entry that lost to Northrop's in what became TSSAM. Being quite familiar with TSSAM, I'd love to see Lockheed's approach to the requirements.

In this book most important part is not contract with Zenith Press, but contacts and ties at LM...

flateric said:
In this book most important part is not contract with Zenith Press, but contacts and ties at LM...
Exactly what are you trying to say to me? -SP

Steve - that's about how much help LM is ready to provide to you for the new book with their archives.

I'm honoured to have the chance to cooperate with Steve in so challenging book (even by graphical point of view).

:D

Steve,why not invite Dennis Jenkins to participate the project?

ov-101 said:
Steve,why not invite Dennis Jenkins to participate the project?
Nice thought but Dennis has his work to do, I have mine. -SP

flateric said:
Steve - that's about how much help LM is ready to provide to you for the new book with their archives.
I'm going through proper channels at LM and LMSW. -SP

archipeppe said:
I'm honoured to have the chance to cooperate with Steve in so challenging book (even by graphical point of view).

:D
You're artworks are amazing and they'll only make it a more beautiful book! -SP

Will the L-133 come out?

Update: This book is officially in the pipeline now as I've received a contract to produce it; my deadline is 1 March 2016. -SP

Steve Pace said:
Update: This book is officially in the pipeline now as I've received a contract to produce it; my deadline is 1 March 2016. -SP

Can't wait. :D

Where's the like button so I can hit it??? ;)

Thanks guys! Your comments give me more energy. -SP

So if the deadline is 1 March next year, that means a possible summer release, I can't wait.

FighterJock said:
So if the deadline is 1 March next year, that means a possible summer release, I can't wait.
I've been told early- to mid-2017 release date. I wish I could be more helpful. -SP

Here's a teaser from the collection of beautiful artworks by Giuseppe De Chiara that will appear in the Skunk Works 75th Anniversary book. -SP

Attachments

• Lockheed L-133.jpg
    Lockheed L-133.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 535

Steve Pace said:
Here's a teaser from the collection of beautiful artworks by Giuseppe De Chiara that will appear in the Skunk Works 75th Anniversary book. -SP

Thanks Steve!!!