Register here

Author Topic: Aeronautica d'Italia (FIAT) G-52  (Read 18144 times)

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Aeronautica d'Italia (FIAT) G-52
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:38:42 pm »
Someone, some time ago, somewhere, asked for a 3-views of the FIAT G-52, a proposed evolution of the G-50 with a more powerful engine, the FIAT A.76 R.C. 38, a double-row radial with 14 cylinders and a power of 1000 HPs at 3800 mt. Dimensions are quoted in the drawing. Maximum projected speed was to be 530 Km/h, autonomy at maximum speed 1 hr at 6000 mt, maximum take-off weight 2330 Kg, empty 1895 Kg. As a bonus, the 3-views of the engine too, for those who wish to try and modify a standard G-50 kit... and scratch-build the engine !   :P
The above information are courtesy of a friend of mine, my publisher...

Offline Nick Sumner

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Yabba dabba DOOOOOM!
Re: Aeronautica d'Italia (FIAT) G-52
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:09:05 pm »
Someone, some time ago, somewhere, asked for a 3-views of the FIAT G-52, a proposed evolution of the G-50 with a more powerful engine,

That would be me - many thanks!

Offline lark

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:30 am »
An other puzzle solved!
Thanks Sky :)

Offline lark

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:29:51 pm »
Reading Jonathan Thompson's "Italian Civil and Military Aircraft 1930-1945"
mention is made that the Fiat (C.M.A.S.A) G.50V was an experimantal
prototype for the production version of the G.52.
Could it be that the definitive G.52 was seen as a liquid-cooled Daimler-Benz powered
aircraft in stead of the Fiat radial engine ?

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 05:39:05 am »
Er, no. The G.52 and the G.50V are two different aircraft. The G.52 was one of the winners of the Caccia I (Intercettore, Interceptor) competiton of 1938-39 that not directly specified a radial engine, but almost all the submission had one. The other were the Macchi C.201 (powered by an A.76), the Re-2000 and the Nardi FN-530. With the exception of the Re-2000, which was company-funded, no-one of the three winners were ever to fly. Only one MC-201 was actually built, but never received the engine. In 1939 Regia Aeronautica decided to switch to in-line engines for the fighters, first with the DB-601 and later with the FIAT A.38 and various Isotta Fraschini projects. The A.38 was a bloody fiasco, and the I.F.s weren't very succesfull either. All the order were so cancelled in March 1940. Simultaneously, R.A. ordered Macchi to convert the the second MC-201 prototype in construction to receive the DB-601, and this is the birth of the MC-202, and Reggiane to do the same with the Re-2000, and this is the birth of the Re-2001. The decision to at all effects declare void the results of the Caccia I competiton opened the floodgates. Every major fighter manufacturer in Italy tendered one or more projects. FIAT proposed the G-50V, a normal G-50 with a a DB, the CR-42DB and a previously unknown CR-35 with a DB (found it in FIAT archives when researching the CR-44, my friend...), and did a study of a G-52 with a DB (but AFAIK never tendered it). FIAT was already concentrated on the G-55 that had to be powered by his A.38, and even did a study for an alternate project, the CS-38 by Manlio Stiavelli of CMASA.
As a finale, a G-5something was actually built with the A.76 (an engine that was another failure, BTW), it was the G-50ter, but this is a much later story, 1941.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:21:34 pm by Skybolt »

Offline lark

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:02:07 am »
This is research with a big 'R'..
The more I read about , the more " Italian Secret Projects-vol I " becomes
inevitable ;D

Offline hesham

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:07:46 am »
Dear skybolt,

do you mean Nardi FN-305 or FN-530 ?.

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »
Dear skybolt,

do you mean Nardi FN-305 or FN-530 ?.

Hesham: the Nardi FN-305 was a liaison/training aircraft, not a fighter.

Skybolt: amazing stuff ... keep it coming!

About the Fiat CR-35, there is an 3-view drawing purporting to be the CR-35 on the Wesworld fantasy site. Could poster, Red Admiral, tell us whether this CR-35 image has any bearing on reality?

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/print.php?threadid=4816&page=1&sid=5686f86777805a82585e3c39319bf724

For anyone interested in the CMASA CS-38, see:

http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/str286.htm

Offline Kim Margosein

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 04:10:08 pm »
"The more I read about , the more " Italian Secret Projects-vol I " becomes
inevitable "

YESYESYES!  I know Tony Buttler is involved in American Secret Projects right now, but I always felt this was sort of Scott Lowther's territory. 
I would love to see some French, Italian, and minor powers secret and unbuilt projects from 35-45.  Also, this site keeps supplying intriguing post-war stuff from France and West Germany that was never available in English. 
I would really be eager to get some books in the "Secret Projects" format on the post-war stillborn aircraft projects of France, Germany, and the minor powers. 

Kim Margosein

Offline red admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 02:54:53 am »
About the Fiat CR-35, there is an 3-view drawing purporting to be the CR-35 on the Wesworld fantasy site. Could poster, Red Admiral, tell us whether this CR-35 image has any bearing on reality?

Completely fictional on my part. The picture is modified from an Ambrosini S.7 (drawn by Jemiba). I had thought that the CR.35 designation was unused.

The J.10bis below is slightly less fictional, the historical J.10 having a Fiat radial engine on the front. I'm sure theres some informations on it in a thread here.

Offline Andrewjs2007

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 02:55:17 am »
Skybolt

I was also asking about the G-52 - so thanks for the pics!

I wondered if you had any plans/sketches on the Caproni-Vizzola F.7 fighter?

Cheers

Andrew

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 12:20:40 pm »
Thank you all, fellows..  ;D
Tha Caproni Vizzola F-7 is much elusive. It was a design not pursued very far, by the way. I'm looking for it since a couple of years. Now perhaps I know where to look. But don't hold your breath..  ;)
As for the CR-35, the "real" one was very different indeed from the one created by Red Admiral... besides being from five years later.
Ta-daaaa  8) Sorry for the low resolution, but you'll understand...  :P

Offline Maveric

• Fight for yor Right!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:06:24 pm »
Hi Skybolt,

do you have also a drawing of the CMASA CS-38?

Servus Maveric

P.S. Many thanks for your good topics!
I see you on the dark side of the moon.

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 03:36:16 pm »
Thank you all, fellows..  ;D
Tha Caproni Vizzola F-7 is much elusive. It was a design not pursued very far, by the way. I'm looking for it since a couple of years. Now perhaps I know where to look. But don't hold your breath..  ;)
As for the CR-35, the "real" one was very different indeed from the one created by Red Admiral... besides being from five years later.
Ta-daaaa  8) Sorry for the low resolution, but you'll understand...  :P

Skybolt: thanks for the CR.35 cutaway -- very CR.42B-ish. Was the CR.35 also a Rosatelli design?

About the Caproni-Vizzola F.7, was this aircraft meant to be Delta R.C.40-powered? Has my memory failed me or was an F.5 tested with that air-cooled Isotta-Fraschini?

Red Admiral: thanks for the clarification.

This is great stuff folks. Cheers!

Offline Maveric

• Fight for yor Right!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 12:16:28 am »
Hi all,

for you Apophenia the C.R.35 was a Rosatelli design, the C.R. stand for Celestino Rosatelli or stand C for fighter ( Caccia )?

Servus Maveric
I see you on the dark side of the moon.