Bergonzi-Tonini Canard

Jan den Das

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
On the Breda stand on the Taliedo airshow in 1919 was a biplane canard, powered by an Anzani 45 hp.
This was named Ardea-Bergonzi, but after looking around I found that this was the third design.
There were two earlier designs 1. 1911 Bergonzi-Tonini 1, 2. 1913 Bergonzi-Tonini 2, and the last mentioned above, Bergonzi-Tonini 3.
This is what I found until now, Who can help me?

Jan

Here's what i found reading "Macchine bizzarre nella storia dell'aviazione" (Evangelisti)

Bergonzi and Vigano' designed an aircraft named "Vi-Ber" first flown in 1912. It was a single-seater powered by a Clement Bayard engine of 30 CV.

Subsequently, Tonini, Bergonzi, and Neri designed a monoplane canard twin-seater called "Italia I" (date is also given as 1912, power was by a Gnome Le Rhone of 50 CV). Of note was the fuselage of metal monocoque construction, one if not the first example of its kind (it was very clean but was also heavy).
It was supposed to be entered in a military competition in 1913 but Tonini wrecked it (Bergonzi was supposed to fly it as Tonini had no pilot's license). It was also found out that the powerplant was not powerful enough.

A second canard was named "Italia II", was a bit simpler and lighter, was powered by a 35 CV Anzani, but never flew, with the company running into serious financial trouble due to Negri's gambling losses (!).

The partners in the company split up with the advent of WWI.

In 1918, Bergonzi designed the canard biplane "Ardea", which was completed by the Breda company, and exhibited at Taliedo in 1919. Supposedly it flew well but was lost in a crash landing due to a wheel getting caught in a pothole.

I have some dimensional data, powerplant info, takeoff and empty weight, and max speed numbers available if you need them.

My dear Jan,

here is a pictures to Tonini aircraft.

Attachments

• tonini 0001.jpg
    tonini 0001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 716
  • tonini 0003.jpg
    tonini 0003.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 695
  • 1913.jpg
    1913.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 678
Thanks for these pictures.

Is there anybody who knows/has more about the Ardea, the 1919 biplane?

Jan

My dear Jan,

as I know,it was called Tonini-Bergonzi-Negro;

http://members.shaw.ca/flyingaces/br.pre1914/

See attached table.
Also, the first two pictures Hesham posted are of the Italia II, the last one is of the Italia I.

Attachments

• Bergonzi aircraft.jpg
    Bergonzi aircraft.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 620
The Tonini Type-1;

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201927%2005.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    747 KB · Views: 504
Hi,
here there is the Bergonzi "Ardea" canard fighter, and a unknown model about a canard fighter (maybe Ardea preliminary design).
Source "Gente dell'Aria" Giorgio Evangelisti.
According to the source, the Ardea was a fighter project designed by Bergonzi but built by Breda in 1918. After a flight, however, the aircraft crashed and Breda, which bought the patent, did not repair it.
Always according to the source, the airplane had very good characteristics, but the war was over and there were no needs of new fighters, so the project has been abandoned.
Regards.

Attachments

• Ardea.jpg
    Ardea.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • Canard Project.jpg
    Canard Project.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
From Aerei Italiani 1914-1918.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    597.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1.png
    1.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 93
From Ali Nuove 10/1961.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    360 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.png
    2.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 66
1930 L'Aeronautica article

Attachments

• 1930 L'Aeronautica 20200206-171.jpg
    1930 L'Aeronautica 20200206-171.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 1930 L'Aeronautica 20200206-172.jpg
    1930 L'Aeronautica 20200206-172.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
So, can we then assume that the mentioned Tonino III is the Ardea?

There is a booklet on the life of Tonini, with interesting pictures of the Bergonzi-Tonini.
It is still available around in Italy and pretty cheap

Attachments

• tonini.jpg
    tonini.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 24
I have checked in the book.
The story behind the first two aircraft is dealt in a detailed way, while the 1918/1919 biplane is not mentioned there.
As regard the postwar period, the activity of Alessandro Tonini at Macchi is described in detail.
The lack of info about the biplane is probably due to the fact that the first two aicraft were designed by the trio Bergonzi, Tonini and Negri, while the third is probably a creation of Bergonzi, who is the one behind the monocoque metallic fuselage.
Before the war Tonini had left the firm (after crashing the plane, causing financial issues to the partners) and after an employment as engineer at Gabardini and then at Savoia-Farman, he found an employment as Chief Technical Engineer at Nieuport Macchi (set up by Buzio, who before the war was a partner in the ReBus, the firm where Tonini started his career.
I remember that the biplane is mentioned in AeroFan, but I have to find where.