The Convair Drawing and Parts Numbering Scheme (F-102)

aim9xray

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought that this would be of interest to our most pedantic members (myself included). From Volume II Number 5 of the Convair "Interceptor Service News" Magazine dated July 1957 comes this article describing how the Convair Blueprint numbering system is applied to the Model 8 (F-102 Delta Dagger). Drawing and part numbers can be likened to the "DNA code" for a system as they track, describe and control the configuration of the parts that comprise the system "end item". In the case of the F-102, these may also document unbuilt configurations for which detailed engineering design data was allocated (and perhaps design completed) but not turned into hardware.

Although the article describes numbering down to two levels of indenture, the last clipping (from the same magazine) shows that in operation, there was an addition number group that identified the actual part. In this case, -1/-2 and -9/-10 identify the left/right side versions of the same part (in this case, landing light brackets).

I hope that this is of some interest in a sporadic series of "How things work".

Edit: spelling. *sigh*

Attachments

• Convair Drawings 1.jpg
    Convair Drawings 1.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 109
  • Convair Drawings 2.jpg
    Convair Drawings 2.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Convair Drawings 3.jpg
    Convair Drawings 3.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Convair Drawings 4.jpg