Register here

Author Topic: Swimmer Delivery Vehicle projects, old and new  (Read 56270 times)

Offline ocay

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: Swimmer Delivery Vehicle projects, old and new
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2017, 05:25:12 am »
Thank you, interesting information. So did it become operational?

And interesting news Turkish STM Company, which design Milgem Class Corvettes, has proposed to Pakistani Navy to develope mini-submarine to replace Cosmos MG110 class.

I will try to find related design in IDEF-2017

Offline ocay

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2017, 06:08:28 am »
There is 2 design from DATUM

There is small one, being in construction, is a "test submarine" 9m long and carry 3 person. The bigger one will be operational SDV

Offline covert_shores

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Research + illustration
    • COVERT SHORES
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:45 am »
Fantastic, good to see. Looks a lot like the older 2007 design, very similar layout. any links?

COVERT SHORES: www.hisutton.com

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2017, 03:22:17 pm »
New article on Taiwanese 350 ton midget sub design. http://www.hisutton.com/Taiwanese_midget_sub.html

Note the hollow reinforcing rings welded onto the pressure hull. Probably ballast tanks. GSE influence?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:20:50 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »

Another Turkish SDV 2 man "Sualti Intikal Araci"  basically means SDV not a generic name, Bodrum based organisation SUTA.

It is probably tested, it is not known if ever Turkish Navy procured.
after some digging and analysis I know think that this design is indeed a distinct Turkish family. Likeness to the 'unknown' French type is coincidental.

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2017, 02:35:08 am »
New Chariot Mk.II article including unbuilt versions and experimental versions. http://www.hisutton.com/Chariot_Mk2.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:20:29 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2017, 03:03:29 pm »
Updated the Covert Shores article on DRASS to include the DG-85, DG-120 and DG-160 midget subs. http://www.hisutton.com/DRASS.html

Online Foo Fighter

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
Another very well thought out presentation.  It is apparent that a lot has gone into not only research  but also making it easier to digest the article.

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback. Yes sometimes I wonder whether the effort to record this under-reported corner of defense is worth it.

Offline Boxman

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:07 am »
I didn't see a specific topic for these Aerojet mini-subs, so I thought this might be the place to post this film. Moderators, please move to a more appropriate topic, if necessary.

This was posted by Periscope Film on YouTube. The title is, "AEROJET GENERAL MINIATURE SUBMARINE FOR UDTs TESTING AT CATALINA ISLAND 20054." Here is the accompanying caption provided by Periscope Film:
In 1949 the U.S. Navy asked the Aerojet General Corporation to find a way to allow underwater demolition teams to move more quickly.  Two Aerojet engineers, Calvin Gongwer and George McRoberts, delivered not only a report but the miniature submarine shown in this historic film. This version appears to be electrically powered and probably not the prototype version, which was actually human powered. Inside the fiberglass hull of that first unit was what Gongwer and McRoberts christened the "Aquaped", a unicycle-like device that a diver could pedal underwater. The submarine was fully maneuverable underwater but did require the use of an Aqualung, and could supposedly move about four times faster than a frogman. The AquaPed was listed in the U.S. Divers catalog for $160 and the human powered submarine $1500 in 1953, with the listing indicating the submarine could move at roughly 5 knots. (Source: August 1953 issue of Life Magazine).

Aerojet's submarine caught the attention of budding director/producer Roger Corman. He obtained the company's enthusiastic permission to use one of the subs in return for on-screen promotion. The result was his first solo production, "Monster From the Ocean Floor" (1954).

It's unclear whether the Aerojet mini-sub or the Aquaped were ever used by the UDTs / SEALs, but SDVs (Seal Delivery Vehicles) were deployed with various units in the 1950s.
YouTube: Periscope Film - "AEROJET GENERAL MINIATURE SUBMARINE FOR UDTs TESTING AT CATALINA ISLAND 20054"

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:51 pm »
Great video, never seen that before!

A couple of correction/additions to the description:
a) the craft in the film is the Aerojet Mk.III from 1954.
b) despite what it says, the Mk.III was peddle powered
c) yes UDT did use them, but only test and training. But Aerojet were involved in multiple SDV projects up to the Mk.VIII and Mk.IX projects (although the Navy took over development of those c1970)

As far as I can tell Aerojet coined the term "mini-sub" with these. Am meaning to do a full Covert Shores article on Aerojet SDVs. One day. :D

Attached are some notes from when I was trying to figure out the Aerojet development history. Got a lot of help from retired UDT/SEALs, a RN Clearance Diver and the Canadian Naval Divers association. Wasn't intended for public presentation. Between us this is the closet to reconstructing the family tree as we got (SDV Mk.VIII and Mk.IX not shown)