Volunteers for help with translations ?

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
We are often experiencing difficulties with source material in other languages, than
English. For the French language, there still are quite a lot of members, who can provide
help, but there already were problems just with deciding, if a mystery page, found in
the depths of the internet is written in Chinese or Japanese. And if conquered with, say
Bulgarian, Serbian, or Swedish most of us will raise the white flag !
We cannot offer a professional translator service here, but maybe we could collect names
of members, who would be willing not to translate a document word by word, but at least
give a short excerpt ?
I know, that not all posts are read by all members, so pointing a, say, native Finnish speaker
to a post, where his knowledge could be helpful.
I would like to collect a list of members, forum names only and the language, they can read
fluently, so they could be contacted via PM only. To make this clear, that wouldn't mean a
commitment, if someone is too busy, it's absolutely ok and should be accepted by all others.

And so, it would be sensible to have more, than one contact for every language.
Again, it's no commitment and I really would react indignatly, if I would have to read something
like " .. contacted member X for a translation, but got no response !", but perhaps such a scheme
could improve some posts and results of our research.

Comments and opinions, please ! ;)

Quick and positive answers, very encouraging, thank you !
Forgot to mention, of course: German ! ;)

Dutch

(we now have more Dutch speakers on the forum than there ever were Dutch secret projects) ;D

Italian (i suspect there are quite a few other Italian speakers as well)