Register here

Author Topic: Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook  (Read 25000 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1675096-army-howitzer-fires-navy-rail-gun-round

A shame they don't have a competitive howitzer to fire it from:

Wow just wow 15 to 3 rounds now multiply that buy five or ten platforms. My biggest beef with Bush41 was his complete elimination of all nuclear modernization but the damage to modernization overall that has arguably persisted to this  day has put us in such a hole don't know if we'll ever catch up.
I judge civilization by simple tests What is the degree of freedom possessed by citizen or subject Can he think speak & act freely under well established well known laws? Judging by these standards Great Britain & the United States can claim to be in the forefront of civilized communities Churchill

Offline bobbymike

I judge civilization by simple tests What is the degree of freedom possessed by citizen or subject Can he think speak & act freely under well established well known laws? Judging by these standards Great Britain & the United States can claim to be in the forefront of civilized communities Churchill

Offline sferrin

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2017, 06:52:20 pm »
http://www.realcleardefense.com/2017/07/04/joint_leonardo-bae_munition_could_triple_us_navy_gun_range_294581.html

And I "could be the next winner in the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes".  I'll believe it when I see it deployed.   
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2017, 03:45:49 am »
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/exclusive-cno-announces-the-return-vertical-launch-system-21425

"The U.S. Navy is looking to restore its ability to reload its ships vertical launch systems at sea, which could be a dramatic logistical game changer in the planning and execution of high-intensity contingencies against peer competitors.

This encouraging revelation comes from an exclusive one-on-one conversation with Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson following his remarks at the U.S. Naval War Colleges 2017 Current Strategy Forum last month."

Except: 1. it reduces the round loadout by 3 cells worth per bank of modules.
            2. the reason they got rid of it in the first place was it was dubious at best.  Reloading a heavy round like a Tomahawk (or SM-3 Block II I'd imagine) in anything but glass-smooth seas was apparently quite the adventure.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:50:53 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline TomS

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2017, 05:53:52 am »
There are solutions to the reloading problem that don't depend on the strike-down crane. I haven't read the 2009 paper about robotic reloading systems, but given that it's by Marvin O. Miller, it's probably related at a concept of his that was first trialed at Port Hueneme in the 1980s.  That kept the missile canister under positive control throughout the loading cycle, unlike the strike-down crane.  (There was a very detailed article about it in UNREP Journal at the time.  No way to find that again now, though.)  The only real downside was the length of time alongside required -- you could be UNREPing for a solid day if you had really depleted the magazines on a cruiser, for example.  That's kind of hell on the bridge watch, even if the weapon handling itsself is automated.

I think the suggestion of forward but not underway replenishment may make more sense. If you can add cranes and the other gear to a replenishment ship to allow a combatant to raft alongside in an anchorage and quickly reload VLS there, it might make more sense than trying to find an UNREP solution.  They've been doing this sort of thing on a much smaller scale for subs for a while, reloading their TLAMs in port in a forward area and sending them back out to shoot some more.

Offline TomS

« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »
 Aha! I found an excerpt from  the UNREP Journal article here:

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.com/2013/10/vertical-launching-systems-and-type-26.html
The concept for replenishing 15 VLS per hour in Sea State 5, shown in Figures 9, 10, 11 and 12 centers around a transportable VLS rearming device that is stowed and maintained on the Combat Logistics Force (CLF) ship. When the combatant ship comes alongside for at-sea rearming or load adjustment, the rearming device is transported from the CLF ship by the new Heavy Unrep rig to the combatant ship sliding padeye along with a team to operate the rearming device. A swing arm at the base of the sliding padeye is used to position the rearming device onto three low profile rails permanently mounted atop the VLS launcher. A hydraulic power unit on the combatant ship powers the swing arm and also the rearming device after it is on the rails.

The CLF ship will next transfer a loaded VLS canister to the sliding padeye. The canister will be lowered to the swing arm by the sliding padeye and then be released from the transfer rig. The canister will be swung around and be picked off from the swing arm by the rearming device two clamp rings. The canister will be moved by the rearming device to a position over an empty cell. The cell hatch will open and the rearming device will erect the canister to the vertical. The canister will be lowered by a wire rope hoist into the cell. The rig will be disconnected from the end of the canister, the cell hatch will close and the canister will be connected below decks to the VLS circuits. When the VLS rearming or VLS load adjustment is completed, the rearming device and team will be returned to the CLF ship.

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike

Offline bobbymike