Register here

Author Topic: Australian Invincible  (Read 18828 times)

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Australian Invincible
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:17 am »
I agree the Vickers plan was conversion work for Invincible and not a new-build ship. The economics of a new build would have killed RAN interest I think.

I strongly disagree.  The history laid out by Abraham on the first page is pretty clear, IMO.  There was a proposal for an Australian variant new construction Invincible proposed on the late 1970s. This is the ship shown in the drawing, with major changes to the boat deck and hangar spaces.  In this design, you can see that the island is not only shortened, it's narrower than the RN version.  This design was probably too expensive for the RAN, which is why the Iwo Jima and Sea Control Ship derivative designs became preferred.

There was a later offer to sell Invincible herself, after the 1981 Nott review and before the Falklands.  But this drawing does not represent that offer, because it did not include features like the reshaped hangar.

Edit:  Here is an article describing the 1982 transfer proposal, which was essentially a done deal in March 1982.  The RAN set aside only 3 million pounds for pre-delivery modifications, which do not include any hangar changes, just more fuel bunkerage and some electronics modifications to fit with US standards.

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1982/1982%20-%200554.PDF
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:14:26 am by TomS »

Offline Hood

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 05:21:45 am »
TomS,
I stand corrected, I had overlooked the date of the drawing and its providence.

Offline TomS

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2018, 05:24:30 am »
TomS,
I stand corrected, I had overlooked the date of the drawing and its providence.

I do apologize for being so strident about it.  That was uncalled for on my part.

Offline Hood

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2018, 03:31:29 am »
On my mind at the time was whether this was a Vickers design, or if the Vickers design was extrapolated from the Invincible design.

The ship was of course not designed originally by Vickers, being a product of the RCNC (D.K. Brown states the team led by A.A. Austin spent 5 million man-hours), but being the lead shipbulder in the programme they probably did have considerable input into the detail design and construction phase.
It seems likely that Vickers took the basic design of Invincible but the internal and island changes point to some radical reworking of the basic ship. Presumably however the engineering spaces would have been unchanged. We could speculate whether this led to Vickers own Light Fleet Carrier concept of the early 1980s?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:34:50 am by Hood »

Offline Tzoli

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2018, 04:11:35 am »
As I draw this deign (soon to be finished) I noticed the angled almost pyramid like superstructure rather the blocky one of the original.
It is somewhat similar to the early 2000's Type 45 Daring class (or to the abortive Type 43 based on various drawings I've seen) while the original Invincible's superstructure is close to the Type 42 Sheffield class of the 1970's

Offline Hood

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2018, 03:30:02 am »
Some information on the sale and the modest refit planned for Invincible following her aborted transfer to the RAN.

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1982/1982%20-%200554.PDF?fbclid=IwAR0dadon-QZLc81DZmWaQZ833STfrPoYYVeRVd_JkS3rr3nFPh5MohppaQs

Offline Tzoli

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2018, 02:08:01 pm »
Do we have any date assigned to this Vickers design?
1977? 78? 79? or just before the Falklands war in around 1981?
(The drawing is finished I will soon post it)

Offline Tzoli

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2018, 01:25:32 am »
Here is my drawing of this proposal:

Offline Dilandu

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
    • fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2018, 12:47:40 pm »
Very good!