USN VFX Competition (Alternatives to the F-14)

F-14D said:
Only McDonnell's and Grumman's designs were able to meet the Navy requirements, and McDonnell's only barely. Grumman's design was head and shoulders above everyone else's. But like all the designs, it was based on the Gov't being able to deliver the F401, which didn't happen. The F-14A was never meant to be a production model, it was supposed to be a development version of which only 13-69 would be built to d a lot of the testing since the airframe was running well ahead of the engine development. The [original] F-14B was to be the first production standard model with the definitive engine and other changes for series production (including an APU). In effect what happened would be the equivalent of the vast majority of F-22s being EMD models.

It should be noted that the inability to deliver the F401 was partially due to a crusade against it by a member of the House of Representatives in 1974. His battlecry was "The TF30 is good enough!" and, after two F401 test engines were brought back from the test cells in pieces over the space of a week, he managed to marshall enough support to kill the program. Four years later, with the TF30, which he forced the USN to keep, causing real problems, he charged that "The Navy bought a "Turkey", not a 'Tomcat'!" needless to say, he said nothing about his role in this mess. To some degree, he was emulating his mentor and the sernior senator from his state, WIlliam Proxmire, but with less, IMHO, intelligence. This Representative went on to become president Clinton's first SecDef, Les Aspin.

If you're wondering how/why I remember all this, the F401 cancellation got me laid off from P&W's FLordia R&D Center.

elmayerle said:
F-14D said:
Only McDonnell's and Grumman's designs were able to meet the Navy requirements, and McDonnell's only barely. Grumman's design was head and shoulders above everyone else's. But like all the designs, it was based on the Gov't being able to deliver the F401, which didn't happen. The F-14A was never meant to be a production model, it was supposed to be a development version of which only 13-69 would be built to d a lot of the testing since the airframe was running well ahead of the engine development. The [original] F-14B was to be the first production standard model with the definitive engine and other changes for series production (including an APU). In effect what happened would be the equivalent of the vast majority of F-22s being EMD models.

It should be noted that the inability to deliver the F401 was partially due to a crusade against it by a member of the House of Representatives in 1974. His battlecry was "The TF30 is good enough!" and, after two F401 test engines were brought back from the test cells in pieces over the space of a week, he managed to marshall enough support to kill the program. Four years later, with the TF30, which he forced the USN to keep, causing real problems, he charged that "The Navy bought a "Turkey", not a 'Tomcat'!" needless to say, he said nothing about his role in this mess. To some degree, he was emulating his mentor and the sernior senator from his state, WIlliam Proxmire, but with less, IMHO, intelligence. This Representative went on to become president Clinton's first SecDef, Les Aspin.

If you're wondering how/why I remember all this, the F401 cancellation got me laid off from P&W's FLordia R&D Center.

Absolutely true. Another contributing factor was USAF's playing fast and loose with the 150 hr reliability test. By doing that, by the agreement on who paid for what in developing the Advanced Technology Engine (which became the F100/F401), USN would be solely responsible for all costs involved in bringing the ATE up to an acceptable level of reliability. Navy didn't have enough money budgeted to do that. That, plus the factor so accurately described above, was why the F401 died. Ironically, Navy probably ended up paying far more trying to make the TF30 work than they would have spent fixing the far superior F401.

hesham said:
Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%201308.html?search=VFX

Aha! So it seems Flight made the mistake about this being the Grumman design....

overscan said:
hesham said:
Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%201308.html?search=VFX

Aha! So it seems Flight made the mistake about this being the Grumman design....

You are right my dear Overscan.

Mark Nankivil said:
Hi All -

Some artwork from the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum archives showing the design evolution of the McDonnell Douglas F-15.

Based on the photo print numbers, this appears to be a decent timeline at what was transpiring.

I have some more to scan from this set but those pretty much fit into the final design layout though you'll see some of the details disappear or morph into what we all know as the Eagle.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

From NASA report,the LFAX-4 with 71 degree swept.

Attachments

• LFAX 4.JPG
    LFAX 4.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 325
  • NASA SWEPT WING FIGHTER 1.JPG
    NASA SWEPT WING FIGHTER 1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 407
Greetings All -

A recent find in the museum archives is this general arrangement drawing of the McDonnell Model 225A.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• McDonnell Model 225A General Arrangement copy.gif
    McDonnell Model 225A General Arrangement copy.gif
    110 KB · Views: 755
With these engine problems I am even more baffled why the option on the TF41/Spey wasn't looked at further especially with 17,500/27,000lb available in this timeframe (and an option of 28,000lb reheat on customer requirements - RR option from 71). Considering the reliability record the Spey derivitives had created (not least with the A-7) would have been an interesting fit and even better fuel economy and improved servicing was on the cards from what I have read. The British Phantoms with these engines would have been very interesting indeed.

norseman said:
With these engine problems I am even more baffled why the option on the TF41/Spey wasn't looked at further especially with 17,500/27,000lb available in this timeframe (and an option of 28,000lb reheat on customer requirements - RR option from 71). Considering the reliability record the Spey derivitives had created (not least with the A-7) would have been an interesting fit and even better fuel economy and improved servicing was on the cards from what I have read. The British Phantoms with these engines would have been very interesting indeed.

While the thrust levels were improved over the TF-30, the TF-41 had its own issues, both with maintenance and reliability.

Greetings All -

A few more Model 225A related drawings from the Greater St. Louis air & Space museum archives....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Model 225A 3V.gif
    Model 225A 3V.gif
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Model 225A cutaway.gif
    Model 225A cutaway.gif
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Model 225A major components.gif
    Model 225A major components.gif
    189.1 KB · Views: 995
  • Model 225A titanium structure.gif
    Model 225A titanium structure.gif
    238.7 KB · Views: 978
TinWing said:
norseman said:

While the thrust levels were improved over the TF-30, the TF-41 had its own issues, both with maintenance and reliability.

The notional Advanced Technology Engine that the F-14 designed around had to meet other requirements besides just increased thrust (unrestricted throttle movement, rapid response, function at high angle of attack, improve reliability, etc.). I doubt if the TF41/Spey could have met those, and if it couldn't what would be the point of moving to it? Come to think of it, the F100 didn't meet those requirements until it was faced with competition from the F110. Also, the TF41/Spey was still pretty much a "paper" engine. The TF41 was excellent in the A-7, but that was also a much less demanding role.

The Navy didn't have the money anyway, and if they did, they'd rather have put the money into something that would give them what the gov't originally promised. They finally got it with the arrival of the F110.

Also, the Navy watched what happened in the UK with the Spey on the F-4. The Spey Phantom was a disappointment, and in retrospect many concede that doing it was a mistake, given its performance vs. its cost. The USN probably saw no reason to spend all the money, even if they could have gotten it, on a similar experiment.

Until the 3 view just posted by Mark above, I had never noticed the retractable/folding canards on the Model 225A. I had thought they were a control surface, but apparently they just "extended" them to move the A.C. forward for supersonic flight, in much the same manner as the glove vane on the F-14? Has anyone seen any references to their function in the 225/225A data?

overscan said:
you obviously never read page 2 of this topic then :)

Relevant patent is here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,229.msg3999.html#msg3999

Thanks, I've actually downloaded most of the pics in this thread, but I somehow missed that. Doh!

Thanks to Mark for the GORGEOUS -225 drawings and cutaways. Sadly I doubt aviation manufacturers employ artists to draw like that anymore. The equivalent picture, today, would be a CAD screenshot.

F-14D said:
TinWing said:
norseman said:

The notional Advanced Technology Engine that the F-14 designed around had to meet other requirements besides just increased thrust (unrestricted throttle movement, rapid response, function at high angle of attack, improve reliability, etc.). I doubt if the TF41/Spey could have met those, and if it couldn't what would be the point of moving to it? Come to think of it, the F100 didn't meet those requirements until it was faced with competition from the F110. Also, the TF41/Spey was still pretty much a "paper" engine. The TF41 was excellent in the A-7, but that was also a much less demanding role.

The Navy didn't have the money anyway, and if they did, they'd rather have put the money into something that would give them what the gov't originally promised. They finally got it with the arrival of the F110.

Also, the Navy watched what happened in the UK with the Spey on the F-4. The Spey Phantom was a disappointment, and in retrospect many concede that doing it was a mistake, given its performance vs. its cost. The USN probably saw no reason to spend all the money, even if they could have gotten it, on a similar experiment.
The F401 was cancelled due to a crusade led by Rep. Les Aspin to kill the F401 engine (it didn't help that just after he started this crusade two F401's came back from the test cells in bushel baskets - in one case, there was a manufacturing problem in a second-stage tubrine disk that wasn't caught; the other was a new vibratory mode that was dealt with by re-design for both the F100 and the F401)> I have to assume, given their lack of fight for it, that the USN had lost fiath in the F401. Mind you, Aspin's cry that'The TF30 is good enough!" was manifestly in error as was proved later in the 1970s. Of course, when he later said, "The Navy bought a Turkey, not a Tomcat!", he did not own up to his role in neutering that Tomcat.

elmayerle said:
F-14D said:
TinWing said:
norseman said:

The F401 was cancelled due to a crusade led by Rep. Les Aspin to kill the F401 engine (it didn't help that just after he started this crusade two F401's came back from the test cells in bushel baskets - in one case, there was a manufacturing problem in a second-stage tubrine disk that wasn't caught; the other was a new vibratory mode that was dealt with by re-design for both the F100 and the F401)> I have to assume, given their lack of fight for it, that the USN had lost fiath in the F401. Mind you, Aspin's cry that'The TF30 is good enough!" was manifestly in error as was proved later in the 1970s. Of course, when he later said, "The Navy bought a Turkey, not a Tomcat!", he did not own up to his role in neutering that Tomcat.

The reason the Navy lost faith was that people like the senator mentioned above were trying to kill the Tomcat, and Navy didn't want to take on a separate fight over the engine. Since the plane would work with the TF30 (although nowhere nearly as well) they decided to marshal their strength around saving the plane and hope that later they could take care of the engine. At that time, they didn't realize how bad the TF30 was. A major, major additional factor was in my Sept 16, 2009 post replying to your post of earlier that same day. I also went into this issue in greater detail here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4927.msg39836.html#msg39836

elmayerle said:
F-14D said:
TinWing said:
norseman said:

My own personal take on the F401 is that it came too late to survive the budget ax. Despite all of its early woes, the F100 was too far along to kill, but the derivative F401 was an easy target. Personally, I'm inclined to say that USN made a mistake by insisting on a slightly higher bypass ratio derivative of the USAF F100, despite the obvious advantages in range and loitering performance. The F401 was just different enough from the vanilla F100 to create additional development costs, risk and delays on top of the early issues associated with the F100. Perhaps a marinized, minimum change F100 would have survived the scrutiny Rep. Aspin? Of course, the decreased endurance of a F100 powered F-14 might have tipped the scales against the entire program?

Of course, the real issue was the high unit cost of the F401 in comparison to the TF30. Even the F100 was substantially more expensive than the TF30.

TinWing said:
elmayerle said:
F-14D said:
TinWing said:
norseman said:

My own personal take on the F401 is that it came too late to survive the budget ax. Despite all of its early woes, the F100 was too far along to kill, but the derivative F401 was an easy target. Personally, I'm inclined to say that USN made a mistake by insisting on a slightly higher bypass ratio derivative of the USAF F100, despite the obvious advantages in range and loitering performance. The F401 was just different enough from the vanilla F100 to create additional development costs, risk and delays on top of the early issues associated with the F100. Perhaps a marinized, minimum change F100 would have survived the scrutiny Rep. Aspin? Of course, the decreased endurance of a F100 powered F-14 might have tipped the scales against the entire program?

Of course, the real issue was the high unit cost of the F401 in comparison to the TF30. Even the F100 was substantially more expensive than the TF30.

The thing to remember is that the TF30 was never considered an adequate engine for the F-14, it was only meant to power the first 13-69 aircraft (some of which would be re-engined). The F401 was not a derivative of the F100. Rather, it and the F100 used the common core developed as part of the Advanced Technology Engine program, and the F100 and F401 were derivatives of that, tailored for the services' individual needs. The F100 actually was not that much more reliable than the F401. The thing is, the F-14 could survive without the F401, until something better came along, but the F-15 could not survive without the F100, so USAF was going to do whatever it took to insure that the latter engine survived. Not wanting to toot my own horn too much, but also not wishing to retype (for me a major exercise), but I again refer the folks to my post http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4927.msg39836.html#msg39836
which goes into detail about how USAF "adjusted" the results of F100 testing, and how USN would have been forced to foot a big bill to get a workable F401. Remember, also, anything that hurt the F-14 was not necessarily a bad thing in USAF eyes.

F100 was not really a worthwhile choice for USN. Aside from not meeting the loiter, marinization (which is a complex process if not designed in from the start) and low speed thrust requirements, it only offered 1,100 lbs. more max thrust than the TF30, and its reliability was not all that good. F100 didn't get good until years later when it was faced with competition from the F110. So, it didn't make sense for USN, if it couldn't get F401, to spend a boatload of money and risk the whole F-14 program on an engine that wouldn't do that much for them.

Greetings All -

Here's the SAC for the Model 225A pulled from the Performance volume of the proposal.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• SAC Model 225A Report G300 Oct-1-68.pdf
    933.4 KB · Views: 314
Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

Here's the SAC for the Model 225A pulled from the Performance volume of the proposal.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Oh, that's just what I needed for the profile drawings I'm doing for the VFX birds. Thanks! It confirms my suspicions regarding the stations and armament of the 225A, with a couple surprises (podded 20mm, centerline fuel tank, and the Phoenix layout). Do you have any other VFX documentation like that for the proposals, particularly for NR-323, the North American/Rockwell one?

I've got to stop posting my thanks. Mark, automatically assume a big thumbs up anytime you post anything!

Two shots that I took today of a pair of 225 models that I'm told were used for deck spotting. These are in the collection of the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum along with the large design and structure model of the Model 225.

I'm posting just this tease shot of the structure model now. I have 32 additional shots that are detail shots and I'm not sure if I should launch a flood.

There is some overlap in these shots but the differences in the angles may offer different information to each viewer. Some were taken by holding the camera way over my head and guessing at the aim. The shots are from above, below and along side the model.

Should I launch a flood, of should I take detail requests and try to match a shot to the request?

Attachments

• MDC 225 Deck Spotting Models 1.jpg
    MDC 225 Deck Spotting Models 1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,772
  • MDC 225 Deck Spotting Models 2.jpg
    MDC 225 Deck Spotting Models 2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • MDC 225 structure model teaser.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model teaser.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,005
I've looked them over and decided to post them all. Four batches of eight pictures.

Something to note for size comparison. The white sign in the lower center of the teaser image is a standard 8.5 by 11 inch sheet. Also, that dark thing to the left in pictures 11 and 12 is a horizontal stab from a Phantom II.

Attachments

• MDC 225 structure model 8.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 8.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 229
  • MDC 225 structure model 7.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 7.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 187
  • MDC 225 structure model 6.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 6.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 183
  • MDC 225 structure model 5.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 5.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 213
  • MDC 225 structure model 4.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 4.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 216
  • MDC 225 structure model 3.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 3.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 205
  • MDC 225 structure model 2.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 732
  • MDC 225 structure model 1.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 742
Second batch.

Attachments

• MDC 225 structure model 16.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 16.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 157
  • MDC 225 structure model 15.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 15.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 148
  • MDC 225 structure model 14.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 14.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 149
  • MDC 225 structure model 13.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 13.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 151
  • MDC 225 structure model 12.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 12.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 154
  • MDC 225 structure model 11.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 11.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 177
  • MDC 225 structure model 10.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 10.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 183
  • MDC 225 structure model 9.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 9.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 161
Third batch.

Attachments

• MDC 225 structure model 24.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 24.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 157
  • MDC 225 structure model 23.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 23.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 164
  • MDC 225 structure model 22.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 22.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 142
  • MDC 225 structure model 21.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 21.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 136
  • MDC 225 structure model 20.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 20.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 135
  • MDC 225 structure model 19.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 19.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 138
  • MDC 225 structure model 18.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 18.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 151
  • MDC 225 structure model 17.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 17.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 151
Last batch.

Attachments

• MDC 225 structure model 32.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 32.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 147
  • MDC 225 structure model 31.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 31.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 153
  • MDC 225 structure model 30.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 30.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 157
  • MDC 225 structure model 29.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 29.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 151
  • MDC 225 structure model 28.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 28.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 145
  • MDC 225 structure model 27.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 27.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 141
  • MDC 225 structure model 26.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 26.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 145
  • MDC 225 structure model 25.jpg
    MDC 225 structure model 25.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 195
Undoubtedly a dream find for any MDD 225 lover with a knack for 3D recreations... Anyone out there?

1969 Artist's Concept of F-14A for U.S. Navy-Wire Photo found on eBay.

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Artists-Concept-F-14A-U-S-Navy-Wire-Photo-/280497486066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item414ef3f8f2

Seller's description:
This photo comes from a vast archive of Original AP, UPI and various other news service photos.

Wire Photo. 10x8. 1/14/1969. Washington, DC. Artist's concept of the Navy's new supersonic, carrier-based fighter, the F-14A. Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp. has been selected as prime contractor. The F-14A will be a two-place aircraft with tandem seating and will be equipped with Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-12 afterburning turbofan engines. Present plans call for first flight in early 1971 and operation with the fleet in 1973.

Nice pic of McDonnell-Douglas's Model 225. This might be the source of the mysterious attribution of this as Grumman's design.

Attachments

• 367004630_o.jpg
    367004630_o.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 367004668_o.jpg
    367004668_o.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,076
EEP1A said:
The picture I posted as MDD 225 was taken from Japanese magazine AIREVIEW March 1969, but erroneously captioned "winning design of F-14A by Grumman".
On the next issue, the mock up photos of the real Grumman design was published but still saying that "the rendering of the last month issue was one of the designs studied by Grumman but the mock up shows the final design."
Cheers,

EEP1A

Thank you Triton and OVERSCAN. Now I understand why a Japanese magazine editor made an error in his caption. The description on this Wire Photo is not wrong, but strongly misleading.

EEP1A

From Plane Spotting World:

The F-15N Sea Eagle was a proposed variant of the F-15 Eagle as an alternative to the F-14 Tomcat in Navy service.

During the development phase of the Eagle, the US Navy was instructed in July 1971 to take a look at a possible navalized version of the Eagle, provisionally designated F-15N. At that time, the Navy was satisfied with its Grumman F-14A Tomcat, which was then in its flight test phase, and was less than enthusiastic about a "Sea Eagle", unofficially known as "Seagle".

The navalized F-15N Sea Eagle initial proposed version was estimated to weigh 2300 pounds more than the F-15A.[1] The US Navy was not impressed with this F-15N version since it would be unable to carry or launch the AIM-54A Phoenix long-range missile.

The F-15N-PHX was another proposed naval version capable of carrying the AIM-54 Phoenix missile. The F-15N and F-15N-PHX featured folding wingtips, reinforced landing gear and a stronger tail hook for shipboard operation.[1]

The US Senate briefly revived the carrier-based Eagle idea in March 1973. However, the Navy decided instead to go with a mix of F-14 Tomcats and F/A-18 Hornets, and the F-15N was never ordered.

Has anyone seen drawings or models of the F-15N or the F-15N-PHX?

Source:
http://plane.spottingworld.com/F-15N_Sea_Eagle

Back
Top Bottom