Register here

Author Topic: Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD)  (Read 69775 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 07:15:20 am »
Asked this question of Pavel Podvig of Russian Forces website fame, his answer, "Yes quite a few [tests from operational silos]"

Who?  Never heard of him or the "Russian Forces website"...
DO SOME RESEARCH. He is a VERY well known (often sought out by major media for opinions on Russia & their military) and knowledgeable expert who has literally written the book on Russian strategic forces.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Strategic-Nuclear-Forces-Podvig/dp/0262661810/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436710277&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+nuclear+forces
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:57:29 am by Jemiba »
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 02:25:23 am »
I'll think about purchasing this book, I think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:58:08 am by Jemiba »

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:33 am »

BUT YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET AREN'T YOU! You know about things called search engines don't you? You are here at SPF aren't you? You can Google can't you? 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:59:57 am by Jemiba »
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 04:29:57 am »
Now would be a nice moment to lighten up.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 05:13:07 am »
I've never seen nor heard of this man.  I have no idea as to his credentials or his abilities.  He is just another name to me.

So your default is to disparage the source rather than use that thing called "Google"?  As Bobbymike pointed out, that guy's book is probably THE authority on Russian nuclear systems available to the public.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Strategic-Nuclear-Forces-Podvig/dp/0262661810/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436789549&sr=1-1&keywords=russian+strategic+nuclear+forces
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:01:38 am by Jemiba »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 07:08:13 am »
As bobbymike pointed out: Some research before posting is highly recommended, simply ignoring mentioned
sources/authors in a way, that seems to indicate lack of interest may well be regarded as trolling.
And for that, please read point 13 of the forum rules !
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Hot Breath

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

BUT YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET AREN'T YOU! You know about things called search engines don't you? You are here at SPF aren't you? You can Google can't you?

You appear to get upset when I merely point I've never heard of this man.   Do you want me to lie and say he's wonderful?   No thanks.

I note the book is 10 years old.  Surely there is something more recent on the topic?    I also wonder at the tone I might find in such a book.  Would it be rather slanted against the fUSSR/Russia?

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »
Well, the book was published by the MIT Press, so you can be sure it's not a beach novel.  Podvig is a highly respected Russian scholar with access to key sources and archives, so I doubt it's slanted or biased against Russia.  I'm not sure why there is resistance to accepting this source as authoritative.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:04:09 pm by George Allegrezza »

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:21 pm »
Well, the book was published by the MIT Press, so you can be sure it's not a beach novel.  Podvig is a highly respected Russian scholar with access to key sources and archives, so I doubt it's slanted or biased against Russia.  I'm not sure why there is resistance to accepting this source as authoritative.
And Hot Breath seems to be posting AS Kadija Man and continues to disparage this source and this author for no apparent reason this is just trolling.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 06:31:18 pm »
Asked this question of Pavel Podvig of Russian Forces website fame, his answer, "Yes quite a few [tests from operational silos]"

Who?  Never heard of him or the "Russian Forces website"...

Edit : See link in bobbymikes post

You appear to get upset when I merely point I've never heard of this man.   

Whoopsie.  Looks like you said that with the wrong account.  ::)

From the Rules:  "Only one login per user is allowed on the forum. Users creating duplicate logins may face temporary or permanent ban."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:08:51 pm by sferrin »

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 09:36:29 pm »
Sketching Minuteman IV

—Arie Church

July 30, 2015—The next generation ICBM will retain commonality with the Minuteman III to control costs wherever possible, Aerojet Rocketdyne Missile Systems Vice President Michael Bright told Air Force Magazine.

To avoid "breaking the bank," the government is looking to "maintain a lot of aspects" of the Minuteman III, said Bright. This includes everything from re-entry vehicles, upper stages, and fuel, to the current operating locations, launch control facilities, silos, and command and control—albeit, updated, he said in a July 29 interview.

Industry is also looking to cut long-term costs with technological improvements to improve the missile's shelf life "making sure you're not putting a lot of money back into maintaining these missiles," Bright said.

Unlike the Minuteman III, which required new propellant every 20 years, the new fuel ideally would last through ​the life of the missile, out to last at least 2070, he noted.

Over the last decade, the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center has worked with Aerojet and likely competitor ATK to "develop new, modern stages" for the Minuteman III under the Propulsion Applications Program. As a result, "the industrial base right now is ready" to move with Minuteman III replacement, said Bright.

"We've developed new case material, new propellant material, we've fired the motors, and we're now at the point that we're ready to support the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent modernization," he added.

The Air Force completed its analysis of alternatives last year, and a request for proposals is expected in March 2016, followed by a competitive development contract in 2019 or 2020.

"We fully support that competition … it spurs innovation, it brings down cost, and it's just better for the whole aerospace industry," Bright said.

Whether Aerojet or ATK win, production will likely take from "mid-2025 through the end of the decade" to ramp up, just as Minuteman III ages out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Was hoping for an all new missile a Peacekeeper II size class with new hyper-accurate MaRV and new 'physics' package.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 04:59:26 am »
Well that's depressing as hell.  Oooh they're sticking recast 1st and 2nd stages on the old MMIII fleet.  *wank*, *wank*, *wank*

Offline ouroboros

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 05:44:11 am »
Considering the state of industry and political will, did anyone really expect much more than that? The odds of a new physics package were slim, though a new/mod RV (that tailflap addon?) probably is in the cards. Much like the F-18, if it sounds like upkeep and not new dev, they can at least improve some things under the skin, but the overall size and shape of the beast is largely set in stone politically.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:14 am »
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=94ff446354f0b5c6e763c8c69d5f5745&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

USAF Reportedly Plans GBSD Draft RFP As Early As September

Defense Daily | 08/03/2015 | Brian Bradley

The Air Force plans to release a concept of operations (CONOPS) and a draft request for proposals (RFP) for the estimated $62.3 billion Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) as early as September, Defense Daily sister publication Nuclear Security and Deterrence

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:48 am »
Considering the state of industry and political will, did anyone really expect much more than that?

Well this sure as hell isn't the way to fix the state of the industry, that is for sure.