Helio model designations

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The following research would not have been as complete or accurate without the great research work done by Doug Johnson on the FlyHelio forum.

HC-1Helioplane (Helioplane-2)experimental1949Two-seat high-wing STOL proof-of-concept1 built
HC-3Helioplane Fourexperimental1950Four-seat high-wing cabin aircraft1 built
H-21AAg Rat'lerexperimental1984Agricultural spraying aircraft1 built
H-250Courier IIcommercial1964Lengthened, lighter version of H-29541 built
H-250ACaballerocommercial1964First designation/name of Courier II(see above)
H-291Super Courierexperimental1972Short-lived four-seat prototype for H-295 Series 12001 built
H-295Super Couriercommercial1960~New version of H-395 with higher gross weight173 built in all
H-295Super CourierUSAF1966U-10D44 delivered (from above)
H-295BSuper Courierexperimental1967H-295 with different engine, minor modifications1 built
HT-295Super Courier = Trigear CouriercommercialndTri-gear modification by Alcor Aviation19 conversions
H-370Prop-Jet Courierexperimental1970H-250 modified with Allison turbine(which see)
H-390Helio Courierexperimental1950Former HC-3 modified to small utility configuration(which see)
H-391Helio Courierexperimental/Army1951~Final Courier prototype, became Army YL-241 built
H-391BCouriercommercial1952Production version102 built
H-392Strato Courierexperimental1957High-altitude photographic version 1 conversion
H-392Strato CourierUSAFndU-10C high-altitude photographic version cancelled
H-395CouriercommercialndRevised production version with larger engineexisted?
H-395CourierArmy/USAF1958Production version with long range fuel tanks as L-28A > U-10A25 built
H-395Super CourierArmy/ANG/USAF1963Improved version with increased gross weight as L-28B > U-10B86 built
H-395ACouriercommercial1960~Lower-powered variant of H-3957 built
H-400AG-R (Cox Agplane)experimental1982Proof of concept prototype experimental ag plane1 built
XC-400T
experimentalndH-800 fitted with 650 shp Czech Walter M-601D engine1 conversion
HT-420TTurbo CourierexperimentalndConversions of HT-295 and XC-400T2 conversions
H-500Twin CourierUSAF (actually CIA)1959Twin-engine STOL as U-5/-5A/-5B (covert designations)7 built
H-550Stallionexperimental1964First "U-10X" with 550hp P&WC PT6A1 built
HS-550Stallionexperimental1964Redesignation of H-550 prototype(which see)
HST-550StallionexperimentalndPAVE COIN/Credible Chase prototype1 built
HT-550Stallionexperimental1964Redesignation of HT-600 prototype(which see)
HST-550AStallionUSAFndProduction version of "U-10X" as AU-24A15 built
HST-600Stallionexperimental1964Second "U-10X" prototype with 600hp Garrett TPE3311 built
H-600BStallion

No details
H-580Twin Couriercommercial1966Proposed civilian version of H-500 with longer nose6 built, never assembled
H-634Twin Stallioncommercial1968Eight-seat high-wing project with engines on stub wings in nosenot built
H-700Couriercommercial1982Modern version of H-295 with 350hp Lycoming engine18 built (H-700/-800)
H-800Couriercommercial1983Modern version of H-295 with 400hp Lycoming engine(see above)
H-800SPCouriercommercial1983Seaplane variant(see above)
HT-800
experimentalndAlternate designation for XC-400T(which see)
H-1201TTwin Stallioncommercial1966Stallion derivative with twin engines in underwing nacellesnot built
H-1320LARAUSAF1963COIN aircraft project, LARA contendernot built
H-2000FreightlinercommercialndFreight transport meant to compete with Cessna Caravannot built

There will be a more detailed list with some c/n numbers and engine details on my upcoming website.

Thank you for your effort ! Especially interesting to me are those high altitude
versions, as in my perception, Helio always meant "slow and low" !

Helio H-6

Attachments

• Helio AC.png
    Helio AC.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 154
Can you help identify this plane pls? Is this a Helio Courier? From the extra landing gear struts, wing braces, tailwheel and horizontal tailplane I am doubtful. However it has the two side windows and third circular window like a Courier.
helio.jpg

I think that's a Cessna 140.

Looks like a Taylorcraft with a custom metalized fuselage.
Closest Taylorcraft that I could match to is the Taylorcraft 20. Some features are similar, undercarriage and horizontal tail, but still not there.

Agreed, not a Cessna 140, because of undercarriage shape, rectangular bracket midway from wingstruts to lower surface of wing - those are Taylorcraft features. Definitely no Helio.

I'm reminded of the prewar Luscombe 8 series - before the cantilever main gear and single wing struts. But this aircraft has too many side windows to be a Luscombe :confused:

I'm pretty sure this photo was taken at the Taylorcraft factory in Alliance Ohio just before they went bankrupt post WWII. This was probably a prototype using aluminum skin instead of fabric for at least the fuselage. The aircraft parked in the background look like Taylorcraft's model BC-12. You can make out the letters RAFT (TAYLORCRAFT) on the roof of the triangle frame hangar which matches pictures of the main factory building in front of the runways at the old Taylorcraft Factory Airfield in the 40's. I have no proof of this just deductive reasoning.

I agree that the mystery airplane has a distinctly Taylorcraft feel about it. And the setting is interesting. But that sure looks like a well-rounded, semi-monocoque fuselage to me. [1]

The more I look at that side door, the more it says 'early Luscombe 8' to me. And then that cowling laughs in my face and screams 'Taylorcraft BC-12'! :D

[1] The CCF-built Norseman Mk.VII gives a good idea of how an aluminum-skinned tube frame will likely looks.
-- https://norsemanhistory.ca/Photos/CCF-129.jpg

Thankyou my friends for your interest. I am also leaning on the Taylorcraft idea, but I need to see photos of non fabric roundish Taylorcrafts to decide. Cheers

There are Luscombe Silvaire 8As and '8Cs around with quarterlight windows fitted. AFAIK, these glazings were later mods applied after the rear fuselage fuel tank was removed. And those glazings all seem to be roughly triangular, not circular (?) like your mystery aircraft.

I have also seen an image of an early Luscombe with divided door windows ... although I can't trace my way back to that photo :(

Attached is a rough comparison between your mystery aircraft (tweaked for perspective) and a rear-windowed Luscombe fuselage. A few features jump out at me.

- The mystery aircraft has a better-rounded rear fuselage than the Luscombe; [1]
- The Luscombe elevators have a more rounded inner trailing edge;
- The mystery aircraft seems to have better-faired undercarriage struts; [2]
- The wing strut attachment point is much further aft on the mystery aircraft;
- And then there are those dramatic cowling differences ...

[1] The Luscombe rear fuselage has fairly dramatic faceting between the upper door openings and curved rear fuselage.

[2] The main gear differences are exaggerated here by the stance of the stripped-down Luscombe fuselage.

Attachments

• mystery-ac-luscombe-8.jpg
    mystery-ac-luscombe-8.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 48
Yes my mystery plane is very close to the Luscombe 8. Still a mystery though.

Can you help identify this plane pls? Is this a Helio Courier? From the extra landing gear struts, wing braces, tailwheel and horizontal tailplane I am doubtful. However it has the two side windows and third circular window like a Courier.
View attachment 661679

General arrangement is quite similar to Helio types, but the windows are smaller and the tall rectangular tail fin is missing. I'm sure I have this one somewhere, but I'll have to dig further...

Attachments

• Helio H-391B Courier.jpg
    Helio H-391B Courier.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9