Curtiss MX-904 monoplane

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever heard of this design project and, if so, do you happen to have any data on it?
Thanks in advance.
AlanG

It is also possible that MX-904 is the Air Corps designation.

My dear Alan,

I think you meant this (XP-904);

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7573.msg200176.html#msg200176

Hesham,
That is very possibly the correct designation, but as I recall and entered it as such, the file was labeled "MX-904". It is entirely possible the file was mislabeled.
Alan

MX-904 was the secret project designation of what became the Hughes XGAR-1 Falcon AAM. It must be XP-904. -SP

Since the likely candidate for the XP-904 slot was the XP-23 fighter, which was NOT a monoplane, I wouldn't discard MX-904 straightaway.

Here is what that designation covered:

Generalized supersonic bomber-launched air-to-air missile study (final result was XAAM-A-2 / XF-98 / GAR-1 Falcon); see also MX-1005-D

So this was a supersonic air-to-air missile. At the time of that competition, Curtiss-Wright was still in the hardware manufacturing business, and even had a couple of missile and target programs on their hands (XSSM-A-23 Dart, Hypersonic Test Vehicle), so it's not far-fetched to consider they might have submitted a design proposal to MX-904.

I'll agree that the term "monoplane" is awkward for that kind of vehicle, though, but who knows?

My dear Alan,

you can solve this problem and tell us what is your source ?.

Back
Top Bottom